Collar Insignias Identification Help Requested

Clayton

Gents;

We believe these collar insignias are American. Could anyone identify these objects and tell us the time period?

Best regards to all,

Clay

post-35523-0-86378700-1397791492.jpg

Hello Dennis:

Many thanks for your response. What time period would these be from?

The 20th Infantry insignias are pinback. The 3rd Infantry insignias are bronze and screwback.

Your help is very much appreciated,

Clay

The 3rd Inf DUI's are two very hard to find examples of the original type with screwback fasteners added later. The original use of the 3rd's DUI was to hold the unit's Distinctive Unit Trimming, the "Buff Strap" in place on the left shoulder of outer garments. That is what the bent over flat clips are for. The Buff Strap was the War Department approved unit insignia. The bronze cocked hat was an unapproved insignia and only a single device was worn. Later, screwback fasteners were added so the insignia could be worn on service ("campaign") hats, also an unapproved use. Officially, The Old Guard did not get approval for the metal DUI until 1959, although the unit wore them on and off beginning in the late-1930's-early 1940's.

Thank you all for your information. My wife and I are always amazed at the depth of knowledge that our fellow members have.

Many thanks to all,

Clay

Thank you all for your information. My wife and I are always amazed at the depth of knowledge that our fellow members have.

Many thanks to all,

Clay

Thanks. If you ever decide to sell the 3rd Inf DUI's give me chance to purchase one.

atb

Guys;

My wife and I found another 20th Infantry insignia in a forgotten box. This one is bronze. Would it be from the 1920's ?

Best regards,

Clay

post-35523-0-92410000-1398152581.jpg

post-35523-0-09148400-1398152595.jpg