King George & Gavin at Maisonbois castle- Belgium.

teufelhund

Friends oversea

This picture has been taken on October, 14-1944 after Market Garden at the "Château de Maisonbois" in the vicinity of THEUX, not far from SPA .

Tis seigneural mansion was chosen by general Hodge who established his HQ in the premises of this property, now a sporting club with tenis courts and swiming pool etc..

This mansion was owned by count de Kerkhove de Denterghem de Pinto ( yes the name is correct, not easy to write on a driving license) and I beleive it is still owned by the family.

If one can easily identify HM King George VI and Gl Gavin... it is not the same for the other officers shown on the picture and especially the Major or lt colonel wearing a B15 jacket and the other ones wearing a tanker jacket.

I was told that these men are from the 508th but cannot be sure at 100% of this assertion.

I wonder if someone here identify some of these men, I am confiden since I am sure there are some All American guys here???

34gaxp1.jpg

The castle as it looks nowadays

23mn120.jpg

See you in Normandy next June fot the 70th.

Best regards from Belgium

Teufelhund

This is an interesting photograph and I appreciate you showing it to us. General Gavin was considered by many to be quite tall by WWII standards. The tall officer in line appears to be much taller than the King and Gavin. To me, this means that the officers in line are either standing on a step (not likely when being presented to the king), or he is just an unusually large fellow. I believe this to be the case. I think that the officer is Charles Billingslea, who at the time was commanding the 325th GIR. I'm posting a photo of Billingslea for comparison.

Allan

post-151-0-41267400-1397828834.jpg

Allan;

Bingo, this guy is of course Charles Bilingslea, ( same face, same nose) future commander of the second division.

He was taller than 6.5 feet and therefore could not find a suitable jump jacked because of is long arms.

For this reason, he could not be enlisted in the parachute paratrroopers, and was eventualy assigned to the 325th GIR instead.

During the war, he therefore carried a B10 jacket with longer sleeves ( as shown on the picture)

Thank you fou your imput Allan.

Francis

Francis,

The interesting thing about Billingslea is that he made four combat jumps- jumping with the 504th & 505th PIRs. Even though he commanded the 325th GIR, I do not believe that he ever rode in a glider.

Allan

third one down looks a little like col. tucker, 504th pir

Not sure,

Colonel Tucker was taller than the men in 3rd position and Tucker had a mustache

• 3 weeks later...
PJK Hendrikx

Teufelhund,

I must correct you on the identification of this photo. The 82nd Airborne Division fought in Holland from September 17 until November 13, 1944. On October 13, King George VI visited the Nijmegen area; this photo was taken at Monastery Tienakker in Wychen. Brig. Gen. Gavin introduced the senior officers of his division to the King. From back to front are Col. Francis A. March, Division Artillery, Col. Roy Lindquist, 508th PIR, Col. Reuben H. Tucker, 504th PIR, Col. William E. Ekman, 505th PIR, and Col. Charles Billingslea, 325th GIR. In the original uncropped photo, British XXX Corps commander Lt. Gen Brian Horrocks stands at left.

You might be interested to know we are working on the definite pictorial history of the 82nd Airborne Division in the Holland campaign, titled "Burning Bridges." We aim to publish in September 2014. Two years ago we published the pictorial history of the 101st Airborne Division in the Holland campaign; check www.d-day-publishing.com

Best,

Peter Hendrikx

• 1 month later...

Hello Peter,

I just acquired your two books relating to the Holland Campaign...Unvaluable documents indeed..

I look forward for the 82nd airborne pictorial history.

Best regards

T