1/35 scale 29th Infantry Division, Omaha Beach Normandy, D-Day Figure Vignette

Old Marine

This is a small figure vignette of the 29th Division that I just completed. This vignette depicts 29th Division infantrymen trying to find some cover behind a log boat obstacle at the surf on Omaha beach on the morning of 6 June, 1944. The invasion of Normandy was such a huge undertaking that I chose to narrow the focus of my project to a small vignette of the action at just one small area of the beach. This scene was repeated many times over along that stretch of beach that morning.

The basic figures are the from the DML Dragon 1/35 scale 29th Infantry Omaha Beach set. the other figures like the Medic, Engineer, Sailor and the rifleman dragging his buddy from the surf are completely kit bashed figures from many other parts from the spare parts box, Airfix, Tamiya, DLM, Heller, Resin kits etc..

I have seen so many terrific painted helmets here on the forum that I decided to try and incorporate as many painted helmets as I could in to this vignette. The addition of the Sailor and the Amphibious Engineer figures were inspired by the photos in Jonathan Gawne's "Spearheading D-Day" book. I used Jonathan's book for most of my research. For any one interested in D-Day I highly recommend this book, it has a wealth of detailed information. Thanks Jon.

In looking through the book I saw the illustrations of the Navy boat crewmen wearing a mix of Navy and Army clothing. I decided to add the sailor to show the Navy's participation. Also as a matter of speculation while researching this project I wondered what would have happened to the boat crewmen if they had to abandon their landing craft. They would have found themselves on the beach, alone, unarmed, and disoriented with no mission, no leaders amongst a swarm of soldiers all trying to get off the beach. The sailors would have had no other option than to try and move inland with the Army guys to get off the beach. I can't think of anything worse than to be all alone in a dangerous situation surrounded by guys that you don't know or trust.

Here are a bunch of photos I hope you guys like the effort. At the end I will post some photos I took during the planning and construction of this vignette.

Thanks

Dennis

post-2843-0-53072500-1397259557.jpg

View#12 The water was made with Liquitex Clear Gloss Gel. This is an acrylic gel medium, when dry it dries crystal clear and high gloss. I built up the waves in layers. After the water was built up I painted the bluish color and the white for the wave tops then coated it with more clear layers. This is a good way for making small diorama water, as the layers build up it has depth and you can embed objects or plants to suggest things underwater.

post-2843-0-11133900-1397264256.jpg

View #15 The Amphibious Engineer with a pack board load of stuff and the lone Sailor grabbing on to the log after crawling out of the surf.

post-2843-0-82047200-1397264814.jpg

View #20

I added the Ribbon bar just for scale. The figures are about 2.5 inches high.

It would help to add the photo.

post-2843-0-41963300-1397264975.jpg

This is how the model started. I was poking around in the parts box and cobbled together these 2 figures. The wounded figure is made of parts from 6 different makers.

post-2843-0-38646600-1397265764.jpg

After some of the figures are built I started placing them deciding on the positioning. The log obstacle is made from a twig from the back yard.

post-2843-0-99311200-1397265921.jpg