Named Officers Airborne Dress Uniform

USdog

Hi,

Recently bought this airborne officers uniform with 82nd and 101st AB patches on it. I took a chance on this one because it was named to R. T. Hanley.

I found a veteran who could have owned this uniform...

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/sacbee/obituary.aspx?n=richard-trimble-hanley&pid=168073487

The uniform was bought in the same state of the veteran...

His name was Richard Hanley and was a 1st LT. in the 502nd PIR, 101st AB. He was probably a late war replacement? I'm assuming that since he only received one battle star, he probably fought only during the battle of the bulge?

What are your thoughts? Does everything seem correct? Also, why is there an 82nd patch on it? Could he have been transferred?

Thanks for the help!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Nice uniform, and that patch combination tracks with a later war 101st replacement. The 101st was sent home when the war ended, but the 82nd stayed to do occupation duties. The high points 101st guys got to leave while many of the newer additions were transferred to the 82nd. So he served in combat w/ the 101st and with the 82nd at war's end. The star is probably for Central Europe vice the Bulge. Central Europe was the final campaign credit in the ETO for both divisions. I'll bet if you look carefully the 101st patch was originally sewn where the 82nd one now resides. Were this mine I would request his record and reconstruct the pin-on insignia...

ps...his obituary actually contains all of the info you really need to put this back together. Jump wings, CIB and some of the basic ribbons, collar insignia etc...

Kadet,

Thanks for your input... I was thinking about restoring the uniforms insignia and doing some research.

So do you think the veteran and the uniform are a match?

Also, there is a Laundry number of H-8108. Could it be his? Would that help positively ID him?

AAF_Collection

Nice Smith & Gray tailored coat, I have one to an AAF Officer. May I ask what backmark is on the buttons?.

Thanks,

Matt.

I would say chances are high that you have a match. I assume the laundry # is his...officers used the same formula as enlisted me. First letter of last name and last four of the ASN. You need to find his ASN to be certain. Officers can be hard to track down because they don't appear on a database. The Pulles rosters are the best shot...

BigDogMilitaria

I would make an educated guess that you have the right man. It looks like he pass in November of 2013, so his family probably had an estate sale recently, usually they are held 3 or 4 months after the death. Did the seller have any details on where he got it? Personally, i would contact one of the research companies, such as Golden Arrow and have them pull Hambleys file if possible, that way you can confirm if the ASN matches up with what you have.

Thanks for the comments....

Jay, I agree that I should research him to confirm it is the same guy and to find more about him.

The jacket was the sellers fathers. He doesn't know where he picked it up, but he wasn't the original owner.

Your guy was a member of Hq 1st Bn. 502. I personally wouldn't put a 502nd oval on the uniform, if anything it would be from what ever 82nd unit he went to when the 502nd deactivated. As for pins, he would have the EAME ribbon with one battle star, and victory medal ribbon. If he was a member of the 502nd he would have jump wings. It would be safe to assume that he had a CIB since he was credited for one battle campaign. Nice uniform. Paul

Your officer doesn't show up on the 502nd officer roster for January 1945, which includes the officers wounded at Bastogne. So I would gather he was a replacement that came in after Normandy and was wounded in Holland or he came in as a replacement after January 1945. If I was to wager on it I would say the later. Good luck on your search.Paul

What battles were they in after Bastogne? The 101st saw extensive campaigning through the Hurtgen forest and through the Belgian town of Foy. They continued to advance into Germany where they chased the Germans toward Berlin. Unlike their use as shock troops where they were pulled out of combat after Normandy and their prolonged campaign in the Netherlands, the 101st pretty much stayed in the field through the remainder of the war. They continued to take casualties as well, so they were in constant need of replacements, even after VE Day.

Allan

Anyone?

Try a google search of the 101st Airborne it might answer your questions. Now that you know what regiment he was in it will narrow down your search a bit. Best Paul