1260th Combat Engineers medic grouping

24th_infantry

24th_infantry

About 2 years back I purchased a grouping from a lady whose brother was a medic in the 1260th Combat Engineers. In the grouping I got his Ike jacket, medic armband, dog tags, unit history book, and a ditty bag with patches, rosary beads and bible, and his good conduct medal and ribbons. Today I met up with her again and purchased another 1260th unit book, a few photos of Napoleon St Cyr during WWII, a post card written in French addressed to him dated 1945, and his military ID from 1944. The one item not pictured in a Mauser Hsc which he captured and was found in a sock in his draw. The vet is still alive, however he is in a nursing home and unfortunately does not have a sharp memory any more.

1.post-2901-0-07667800-1400608857.jpg

2.post-2901-0-11358600-1400608966.jpg

That is a terrific group, and with the DI's, dog tags, ID card/photos, and brassard, it's going to look great when displayed.

For those more knowledgeable on the subject, would medics attached to combat engineer units be eligible for a Combat Medic Badge? I know in WWII it was usually for those attached to infantry units, but those combat engineers sure took some heavy fire, as well.

-- Jon

manayunkman

Very nice group.

Would love to see a close up of those DI's.

They look German made.

BigDogMilitaria

Great group, doesnt get much more complete than that. Congrats for being able to keep it all together even after a few years have passed.

24th_infantry

Very nice group.

Would love to see a close up of those DI's.

They look German made.

Here is a close-up of the DUIs. They are German made.

1.post-2901-0-36910800-1400609019.jpg

2.post-2901-0-48683700-1400609033.jpg

That is a terrific group, and with the DI's, dog tags, ID card/photos, and brassard, it's going to look great when displayed.

For those more knowledgeable on the subject, would medics attached to combat engineer units be eligible for a Combat Medic Badge? I know in WWII it was usually for those attached to infantry units, but those combat engineers sure took some heavy fire, as well.

-- Jon

In reply to your question, ordinarily, medics assigned to engineer units of any type were not eligible for the CMB, unless their unit was attached to an infantry unit for, I believe, 30 days at a minimum. The ARs were changed post WW II, but not retroactively.

24th_infantry

Teed thanks for the info. I was wondering why he did not have the CMB. His records are on the national archives. I'm going to try and get copies of it. I just wish I could interview him. Maybe one day his sister will let me talk to him.

• 2 months later...

I have been hoping to find an example of a medic grouping that includes ID card, dog tags and medic armband. My collections have one or two of these but not all three and none have the original brassard and ID card together from an individual vet. I am curious as to whether the ID number on the card matches the ID number on the brassard (if one exists). Are there ID numbers on the armband and are they same as on ID card?

Thanks

Joe

• 3 weeks later...
1260th engineers grandson

Hi I am looking for information on the 1260th combat engineers for my grandfather. He was in B company form March 27, 1944 to May 23, 1946. Just thought I would ask since this post is about all I have found so far. What company is this from are their names in those books?

• 5 years later...

Old topic, but if you sill have this group, and if you have duplicates of the 1260th unit history, I would be very interested in one. Even a copy would be outstanding. I just found a grouping to an officer of the unit and am trying to track down a history (which is how I stumbled on this post).