• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 GeorgiaBoy

GeorgiaBoy
  • New Members
    • Member ID: 3,220
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:51 AM

...someone who was a rifleman in the Asiatic Pacific campaign during WWII most probably would have carried? I'm referring to my father and I thought it would be neat to have a rifle on display that was representative of what he might have carried. He was in the U.S. Army and was in the 77th Infantry Division. Excuse me please for my ignorance but the American Civil War has always been my study interest. Is there a website available to see what units were issued what? I suspect it's an M1 Garand but would thankfully welcome any input from the experts here. Also, once this is determined, where should I look to find one? I would prefer buying from a forum member or a reputable dealer that y'all recommend. I don't like auction sites as I'm becoming increasing aware that no auction site is ultimately responsible if something isn't right or something goes wrong. eBay being the worst example, IMHO, of corporate irresponsibility.

#2 Teamski

Teamski
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,043
  • 14,117 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 11:59 AM

Without a doubt, the Garand would be the rifle of choice. You could check out your local gun show to see what is available.

-Ski

#3 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 68
  • 2,552 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 12:45 PM

...someone who was a rifleman in the Asiatic Pacific campaign during WWII most probably would have carried?

What the infantryman carried was technically controlled by the Table of Equipment. Assuming that he was a private in a rifle squad, chances are very high that he was issued an M1 Garand rifle. As you probably know what really happened in the field was often different from what the Table of Equipment specified. He may have chosen to carry a M1 Carbine, a BAR, a Thompson SMG, an M3 SMG, or a M1903A4. If you have no further information on what your father carried, then you would be safe selecting the M1, and it would be a lot easier to acquire than any of the other weapons except perhaps the Carbine.

Scott Duff is an acknowledged expert, researcher and dealer of M1 rifles. I think you should be able to buy a decent M1 from him with a high comfort level. His site is http://www.scott-duff.com/ I strongly recommend that you do some reading about the M1 Garand rifle before you buy one. There are many good references out there now.

HTH.

Regards,
Charlie Flick

#4 UPNATM

UPNATM
  • Members
    • Member ID: 534
  • 608 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:04 PM

I suspect it's an M1 Garand but would thankfully welcome any input from the experts here. Also, once this is determined, where should I look to find one? I would prefer buying from a forum member or a reputable dealer that y'all recommend. I don't like auction sites as I'm becoming increasing aware that no auction site is ultimately responsible if something isn't right or something goes wrong. eBay being the worst example, IMHO, of corporate irresponsibility.

I would for sure recomend the CMP. http://www.usmilitar...tyle_emoticons/default/thumbsup.gif

http://www.odcmp.com...es/m1garand.htm

#5 Milsurp Collector

Milsurp Collector
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,180
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 02:44 PM

+1 on the CMP. You do have to meet the eligibility requirements in order to purchase a rifle from them http://www.odcmp.com...equirements.htm but it is worth it.

If you are going to get a M1 Rifle from the CMP to represent your dad's, order a Springfield Armory M1 Rifle and attach a sticky note to your order requesting a World War II serial number and a walnut stock.

#6 101CH47

101CH47
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,964
  • 858 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 03:47 PM

My uncle was in an I&R platoon in the 27th ID, he carried a 1903 Springfield by choice.

Edited by 101CH47, 28 May 2008 - 03:47 PM.

#7 GeorgiaBoy

GeorgiaBoy
  • New Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:34 PM

Thank y'all very much for your input. During the Asiatic-Pacific campaign, he was indeed a PFC. Do most of the M1 Garand's come with the correct sling, etc or is that usually a separate purchase? Are there any other accessories that went with this weapon that I should acquire to make the display as true to life as possible?

#8 101CH47

101CH47
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,964
  • 858 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 05:42 PM

Pick up a copy of Bruce Canfield's Complete Guide to the M1 Garand and the M1 Carbine, that book will answer just about any question you may have.

#9 Milsurp Collector

Milsurp Collector
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,180
  • 92 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:09 PM

Thank y'all very much for your input. During the Asiatic-Pacific campaign, he was indeed a PFC. Do most of the M1 Garand's come with the correct sling, etc or is that usually a separate purchase? Are there any other accessories that went with this weapon that I should acquire to make the display as true to life as possible?

Most M1 Rifles are not sold with anything else, including those from the CMP. I think the basic accessories would be a sling, and a bayonet and scabbard.

Genuine Model 1907 leather slings are expensive (> $100 on ebay). Genuine WW II web slings are less expensive but still not cheap. Reproductions are available for both, but they obviously look brand-new. Post-WW II USGI web slings are not expensive.
http://www.rifleslin...m1907_sling.htm
http://www.rifleslin...arand_Sling.htm

A 10" M1 or M1905E1 bayonet would be appropriate for your dad's period of service (bottom 3 in the picture below). Unfortunately, they aren't cheap either (around $100)

Posted Image

http://www.fulton-ar...m/M1Bayonet.htm
http://www.usmilitar...o_points_23.htm

You might also want a M1923 cartridge belt http://www.usmilitar...?showtopic=2541

#10 101combatvet

101combatvet

BANNED

• Banned
    • Member ID: 1,494
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 28 May 2008 - 07:45 PM

I would check his discharge papers if you have them.... that document should show the weapon that he was qualified with.... meaning the weapon that he would have been issued.

#11 GeorgiaBoy

GeorgiaBoy
  • New Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 02:15 AM

Thank you....I will. I appreciate all of the help.

#12 Chris_B

Chris_B
  • Members
    • Member ID: 3,065
  • 1,256 posts

Posted 29 May 2008 - 03:02 AM

Hi

Bear in mind that a lot of collectors think along lines of "such and such a part is not appropriate for my rifle because of date"

In a lot of cases, you'll see guys who say "I need the correct 1945 web sling for my M1" or similar, when in reality, in 1945, if they had a leather sling to issue the trooper, that's what he got. Nobody said "well the web sling is now current issue so you can't get the leather one anymore, they are discontinued" for example.

They used what they had on hand. I'm not trying to prove anyone wrong here or say that somebody is off base, I just want to point out that for instance, in 1945, a soldier issued a new M1 could get a leather sling, a WWI issue cartridge belt, etc, and some people seem to think these things are not "correct" for the rifle a collector wants to 'put together' today. They didn't have 'the rules' back in the war. They had stocks of items, and 'current issue' was not always what a soldier got. In fact I would think that a new GI who got nothing but new current stuff was quite rare

Edited by Chris_B, 29 May 2008 - 03:04 AM.

#13 hotlead

hotlead
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,600
  • 376 posts

Posted 30 May 2008 - 06:40 PM

What weapon he was issued also depended heavily on what his job was in his unit. If he was a BMG gunner for example, he would be issued a sidearm, most likely a 1911 or 1911A1, and a BMG A-gunner would've been issued an M-1 Carbine after 1942.

A display with an M-1 Carbine would need a sling, a pistol belt, a carlisle bandage pouch, a mag pouch( the one people refer to as the " stock pouch"), and three magazines. The M-3 trench knife with M-8 scabbard was intended for guys armed with the Carbine, so one of these would be cool too.

As said before, what people looked like in the states changed dramaticaly shortly after arriving in theater, so some artistic license with an eye for historical fact would be warranted.

+1 on CMP, carbines can be had there too, good luck.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users