37th FS 14th FG P-38 Pilots A-2 Grouping

JDK

Some of you may have seen this grouping a few months back on a dealer site. I of course love the P-38 and also love A-2 groupings with a good Wartime photo of the guy wearing the jacket.

This Captain flew 66 missions with the 14th Fighter Group from March-Dec. of 1944. He was awarded the Air Medal, DFC, and Soldiers Medal for rescuing a fellow 14th FG pilot from a crashed, burning P-38. He mentions flying quite a few ground support missions strafing German Panzer Columns and troop movements as well as strafing German trains. He flew quite a few missions as flight leader as well.

It's just a cool group to your average ETO P-38 pilot that did a lot of dirty work during the war.

JD

139_zps277bc8b0.jpg

manayunkman

Nice group JD.

Beautiful Italian made squadron patch.

Any dates and places associated with the strafing accounts ?

Loire Valley ?

Nice group JD.

Beautiful Italian made squadron patch.

Any dates and places associated with the strafing accounts ?

Loire Valley ?

Thanks Peter. No specific dates other than mentioning it was during the "Invasion of Southern France" and that at the time "The Weather was Extremely Bad"

I'm still digging into this one a little for more info.

JD

Great grouping there! Couple photos, A-2, dress uniform, officer's club membership card, article with some info.....got a nice touch of everything there. Congrats on this pickup!

The MTO 38 groups did all kinds of ground attack from the time they arrived for Operation Torch. The 14th took some terrible losses early on.

Amazing group JD. Do you have John Lambert's 14th FG history? There must be something about the 38 and Minnesota with Stanaway and Lambert being from here. Then there is your growing 38 pilot museum :)

Johnny Signor

Wow , really nice save, first time I've ever seen the Squadron patch in actual use , thanks for posting !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The MTO 38 groups did all kinds of ground attack from the time they arrived for Operation Torch. The 14th took some terrible losses early on.

Amazing group JD. Do you have John Lambert's 14th FG history? There must be something about the 38 and Minnesota with Stanaway and Lambert being from here. Then there is your growing 38 pilot museum :)

Hey Dan,

I just got Lamberts book a couple weeks ago. I'm looking forward to going through it and seeing if I can get any more detailed information on some of this pilots missions.

JD

• 4 years later...

My father also flew P-38's with Honeycutt in the 37th stationed in Foggia Italy. He knew him well. Dad flew 50 missions in his 38. I have all of my Dads things, flight logs, mission list with dates and targets, his painted A-2, both uniforms, crush hat, many, many photos. My dad is still with us, will be 97 next August. I showed him the photos on this post, and he was really happy to see them.

Thanks for adding me to this group. I will get around to posting some photos of his gear shortly.