WW2 Veteran "NAMED" Japanese Propeller

Got da Penny

Got da Penny

My friend purchased this Propeller recently. Can anyone ID which Plane this came off of ??

I am going to guess a "Zero".

Also, If anyone can READ what the label says, That would be "Great" !!

post-633-0-53351600-1395701768.jpg

Someone makes a model Zero that has a similar label on the prop. I'll see if I can find a photo. In the meantime it looks like the real thing, something worth $2,000-3,000, I'd think based on some past sales recorded on worthpoint. And with that label intact, maybe a lot more. It does need some research, but....

zeroprop5.jpg

4.jpg

zeroprop3.jpg

zeroprop.jpg

zeroprop2.jpg

Got da Penny

Thanks for the Info Bob ..... !!

It says "Made in Japan"....

I saw that one coming from a mile away! <-------------- CLASSIC !!

• 2 months later...
Got da Penny

I am NOW the proud owner of this Veteran named propeller ...... (Just had to save up enough money) LOL

Is any member able to decipher the "DWG" stampings on this prop ??

I am really trying to determine what plane for sure it may designate.

I have photos i am ready to share via private email if someone can help in my research.

Thank You,Carey

I am NOW the proud owner of this Veteran named propeller ...... (Just had to save up enough money) LOL

Is any member able to decipher the "DWG" stampings on this prop ??

I am really trying to determine what plane for sure it may designate.

I have photos i am ready to share via private email if someone can help in my research.

Thank You,Carey

Now that is a great pickup Carey!

vintageproductions

Carey-Here is what the decal roughly translates to:

decal.JPG

It looks like the details were never added into the boxes.

RustyCanteen

is it maybe a US captured prop that was then used for study?

-Brian

Probably just a spare that hadn't been installed yet and was a tempting souvenir for a seabee. I would guess this came from a captured airbase or supply depot.

Got da Penny

Thanks to everyone who replied to my thread.

Bob, I appreciate the translation on this prop.

I am pretty sure that these don't show up very often.

Just Lucky to be able to have a VET name on it for

Provenance

Carey, you know that really doesn't fit in with your collection! You should give it to me! After all it will look great with all those 15th AAF uniforms and...uh...well....

:D

Fantastic addition to your collection, my friend! Color me jealous!

• 3 weeks later...

I had the opportunity to stop at the Warner Robbins USAF Museum (highly recommend it BTW!), and they had this display of a Japanese propeller from a Zero. Thought it might help bring more information on GDP's. Here's the display:

post-203-0-71309100-1403483328.jpeg post-203-0-27949700-1403483335.jpeg

I thought you might want to see the base of the prop, so I sat on the floor and took some photos. Oh, what I do for this forum! :)

Notice that the markings are also in English:

post-203-0-82559300-1403483341.jpg

• 3 years later...

Someone makes a model Zero that has a similar label on the prop. I'll see if I can find a photo. In the meantime it looks like the real thing, something worth $2,000-3,000, I'd think based on some past sales recorded on worthpoint. And with that label intact, maybe a lot more. It does need some research, but....

attachicon.gifzeroprop5.jpg

attachicon.gif4.jpg

attachicon.gifzeroprop3.jpg

Ha! Worth point is Worthless! That is my old prop and my old auction and it did NOT go anywhere near $2,200! It actually went for $1,500 to a guy who was a pilot for Fed-X so he got a great break on the shipping cost because this was very heavy. Not easy to pack either.

So I tracked my prop tp an A^M zero and your is one too. Mine was from Kwajalein and had the later paint scheme with one strip on the front side and the large painted surface on the back to reduce reflections when the sun was coming from behind the plane. It had several areas where shell fragments had struck it and made 'splatter" marks in the soft aluminum. What isn't visible from the Worthpoint picks is a small saw cut made below the tip were some one started then gave up cutting the tip off and thank God decided to just take the whole thing! I'll look around in my old files and see if I can find some close ups of the markings. His IS a ZERO - trust me I had this one!