Expert Pistol Badges

Brig

• 9 months later...

If I'm not mistaken, the 1/20th silver filled varients came out in the late 1960s or early 1970s and were used through the mid 1980s. In 1988 when I went to bootcamp, there were not any with silver content to be had at the PX.

Many of the private purchase shooting badges that were just post 1958 were sterling, but I think that these were phased out around the time when Vietnam was winding down. I have some dated versions of the expert badges that I will take pictures of one of these days.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some of my marksmanship badged. I believe they're all Marine but am not an expert and some could be Army or dual-use.

Top one is front and back of two expert pistol badges. Both have "C" clasps. At bottom is another virtually identical to the top two. I didn't want to remove it from the uniform but the back looks just like the top two.

I haven't dug into these all that deeply yet and am not sure of the vintage on most of these.

post-1107-1237506394.jpg

post-1107-1237506400.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

here's a nice multi-piece pistol expert badge marked H&H. I've seen two others like it, but both were also marked sterling and went a bit high. I'm thinking it's WWII. any agreement? nice piece over all, probably soldered, no pins attached

Dual_HH_Pistol_Front.JPG

Dual_HH_Pistol_Rear.JPG

here's a nice multi-piece pistol expert badge marked H&H. I've seen two others like it, but both were also marked sterling and went a bit high. I'm thinking it's WWII. any agreement? nice piece over all, probably soldered, no pins attached

I would agree with that. Nice badge

heres mine the front is the same but the back differs the catch is like a tiffany catch one of the funky ones and its marked sterling

post-2718-1240116048.jpg

• 3 years later...

I picked this pistol expert badge up for $15.90, it is mounted on the same Gemsco card as in Robert's post #184 with the same Gemsco number 70204, but mine is marked 'U.S.Army'.

What would this mean as far as dates go, would this make it from the 1924 - 1937 period?

Cheers,

-John

post-50776-0-48046200-1399940000.jpg

no...during that period the USMC used the Army style badge, these weren't used. Why the Army mark, I don't know. Around WWI and prior, the Army National Guard used USMC style badges in a gold finish

Oh yeah, that's right, just for future collectors maybe I'll remove the badge from the card and put a note on the card that it had the USMC award on it. So even Gemsco can lead the collector astray!

Still, a nice pistol expert award for $15.90, what year would you say if you would date it by the card?

cheers,

-John

Price was definitely right...not sure on the date of the card, to be honest...WWII and onward perhaps

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 month later...