• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TankerWife19k

TankerWife19k
  • Recruits
    • Member ID: 152,185
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 March 2014 - 05:06 PM

We're having a 1941 Louisiana Maneuvers Public/Tactical Reenactment. The reenactor letter is posted under the flyer in this thread. If you have any questions, we have contact information listed at the bottom of the flyer. We have a reenactor registration form on our website. http://www.deriddera...gistration.html

745_140310FlyerLA_Man_Reenact_copy.jpg

REENACTOR LETTER

Dear fellow reenactors and living historians,

On May 2nd and 3rd 2014 the friends of the Deridder Army Air Base in Deridder, LA are hosting an Air Show in conjunction with a reenactment at the original Airbase in Deridder.  For the reenactors and living historians there are three events that will be taking place; a USO dance/show, ww2 living history, and a 1941 maneuvers public/tactical reenactment. This is a great opportunity for reenactors and living historians to experience the 1941 Louisiana maneuvers.

The USO show will be held at the first ever off-base USO built in Deridder, LA in 1941. There will be live music and skits recreating entertainment from the era. It is open to reenactors as well as to the general public. The event will last about two hours and is only about two miles from the airfield. Everyone is welcome to attend.

The living history is open to those who wish to display their non-1941 maneuvers collections. The living history will be held inside the original WW2 hanger from the DAAB. For clearance please email me with a description of your display.

In regards to the reenactment it will be a public tactical reenactment replicating the 1941 Louisiana maneuvers. There will be two armies (Red and Blue). Each army will be able to keep small unit integrity and an overall commander will be appointed.  Umpires will issue operations orders, regulate the conduct of the battles, and conduct the final AAR. As this is a public/ tactical event, the reenactment and briefings will be able to be viewed by the public. This, however, will not affect the outcome of the battle (no predetermined victor).  There will be two battles through out the day and a victor will be recognized at the final AAR and the closeout ceremony.

We hope to have as many reenactors attend as we wish to make this an annual event. Changes and additional information will be emailed as we receive it. Please let us know if you plan to attend so that we can get a head count for planning purposes.  See attachment in order to pre-register.

Logistic notes

There will be a 20-dollar registration fee, however, this covers Saturday lunch and admittance to the USO show.

Water will be provided.

A period correct campsite will be available for those who wish to camp.  Non-period camping is authorized in a separate area and must be removed or disguised prior to first formation.

Thanks,

Travis Husted

#2 jgawne

jgawne
  • Inactive
    • Member ID: 1,657
  • 3,048 posts

Posted 22 March 2014 - 07:44 AM

I think this is a great idea!  I wish you guys the best of luck-  my dad was in the La maneuvers and always spoke about how rough it was.

His favorite story (along with snakes spiders, bugs and pure misery) was how one day it rained, do their Regt Commander made them stand around in in the rain "to get used to it."  No drilling or marching or lectures, just standing in a field in the rain getting wet.

I've since found a reference to a high ranking officer who was in the area asking later on for "Colonels who know enough to get their men in out of the rain."  And can't help but wonder if the two are linked.

#3 vzemke

vzemke
  • Members
    • Member ID: 781
  • 3,085 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 04:23 AM

This looks pretty neat. If I still lived in the area I would defiantly check it out.

Are you involved at all in the displays set up inside DeRidder War Memorial Civic Center? I didn't find out about that until it was about time for me to leave FT Polk. Some neat stuff in there.

#4 willysmb44

willysmb44
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,617
  • 4,164 posts

Posted 04 April 2014 - 02:53 PM

I can't help but wonder what'll happen when (not if) the majority of people coming to attend show up with 101st AB (506th, of course) impressions...

Can anyone familiar with the current state of re-enacting tell me that couldn't happen? I doubt you could with a straight face.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users