Nurses jump wings?

Guys, there has been a lot of very interesting information regarding parachute-trained nurses. But I state again, particularly after seeing the back of these wings in the new photo. They are cast, you can see the the fittings appear modern. I have seen a (one or two ) WWII era flight nurse wings with a red "N" but that is it. With all of the "super-d-doper" rare millionaires items being sold, now is the time apparently, to get rid of all of the bizarre pieces you have laying around.

I have seen a lot of weird stuff the last few months, sure some of it might be rare one offs, but my feeling is that 99.7 % of it is crap. I think that this is a modern cast, fantasy piece, and is being resold knowingly or unknowingly (I have no idea) as real piece.

post-182-1212066552.jpg

The comment regarding "So if someone would have made it to sell, then why would there be only 1 ?" I have 3 responses: 1. all the component pieces are common (especially if you are making them yourself) , it would take little effort to put one of these to together, 2. who knows if there is only one, 3. FOR THE MONEY!

Just another thought from someone who has been collecting this stuff for over 20 years, if its too good to be true it probably is. With strange one off pieces, the source is everything. I would only buy a piece like this from the owner, or the owners estate, and ONLY if I had the accompanying documentation to support the piece. Preferably a photo of the Nurse wearing this exact wing. With out this type of proof, even if the seller is a great guy who YOU trust, the next guy down the line , or your estate , or whatever, doesn't have any PROOF, so you end up losing in the long run. I have seen that with the "millionaires" collection, NO documentation accompanying some of these rare pieces (and I even know two of the sellers he purchased some items from, both of whom I trust). I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole!

I guess the bottom line is , you can talk yourself into anything, I know I have, but the question is should you.... if the wing is really cheap, go ahead, if it's not, and I expect it isn't, ask yourself can I afford to lose the money if you are wrong about it. Is this piece in the 3% that is good ? My answer is: thumbdown.gif !!!!!

Thus endeth the sermon,

Paul

Guys, there has been a lot of very interesting information regarding parachute-trained nurses. But I state again, particularly after seeing the back of these wings in the new photo. They are cast, you can see the the fittings appear modern. I have seen a (one or two ) WWII era flight nurse wings with a red "N" but that is it. With all of the "super-d-doper" rare millionaires items being sold, now is the time apparently, to get rid of all of the bizarre pieces you have laying around.

I have seen a lot of weird stuff the last few months, sure some of it might be rare one offs, but my feeling is that 99.7 % of it is crap. I think that this is a modern cast, fantasy piece, and is being resold knowingly or unknowingly (I have no idea) as real piece.

post-182-1212066552.jpg

The comment regarding "So if someone would have made it to sell, then why would there be only 1 ?" I have 3 responses: 1. all the component pieces are common (especially if you are making them yourself) , it would take little effort to put one of these to together, 2. who knows if there is only one, 3. FOR THE MONEY!

Just another thought from someone who has been collecting this stuff for over 20 years, if its too good to be true it probably is. With strange one off pieces, the source is everything. I would only buy a piece like this from the owner, or the owners estate, and ONLY if I had the accompanying documentation to support the piece. Preferably a photo of the Nurse wearing this exact wing. With out this type of proof, even if the seller is a great guy who YOU trust, the next guy down the line , or your estate , or whatever, doesn't have any PROOF, so you end up losing in the long run. I have seen that with the "millionaires" collection, NO documentation accompanying some of these rare pieces (and I even know two of the sellers he purchased some items from, both of whom I trust). I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole!

I guess the bottom line is , you can talk yourself into anything, I know I have, but the question is should you.... if the wing is really cheap, go ahead, if it's not, and I expect it isn't, ask yourself can I afford to lose the money if you are wrong about it. Is this piece in the 3% that is good ? My answer is: thumbdown.gif !!!!!

Thus endeth the sermon,

Paul

eum, interesting.

But indeed, its most likely a fantasy piece.

I am not going to buy it.

eum, interesting.

But indeed, its most likely a fantasy piece.

I am not going to buy it.

New info:

After speaking once again with the seller I got this information:

The seller told me she or he got it from a retired us army pilot.

and the wing belonged to a woman called : Anna E. Kiltie.

Is there any way I could find out who this Anna E. Kiltie is or was?

I still have some sceptism towards it all, but knowing this name and knowing the seller has most of the personal stuff of this Anna E. Kiltie and the fact that the seller is also a re-enactor... I am starting to wonder if this wing was or wasnt a wing that was indeed used for real (even being a selfmade piece and not authorized) think.gif

Here are a few of my nurses insinias.Some of the ones I have are the black N,brown enamel and the applied N which appears to be sterling.Thanks for posting the chart.Its a very good and intresting referance.

The top group is from one nurse the bottom set all came together.The bottom far right is Meyer marked with the Meyer shield.

RON

post-342-1212296005.jpg

Bob Hudson
The seller told me she or he got it from a retired us army pilot.

and the wing belonged to a woman called : Anna E. Kiltie.

Is there any way I could find out who this Anna E. Kiltie is or was?

I still have some sceptism towards it all, but knowing this name and knowing the seller has most of the personal stuff of this Anna E. Kiltie and the fact that the seller is also a re-enactor... I am starting to wonder if this wing was or wasnt a wing that was indeed used for real (even being a selfmade piece and not authorized) think.gif

A lot of people forget the difference between a fantasy piece and something one-of-a-kind someone had made because they did something unique - like perhaps becoming a jump qualified nurse. The original post title had the question, "can this be real?" Well clearly it is within the realm of possibilities - there are strong indications of some types nurse jump training, but we may never know anymore than that.

Now the lady mentioned above was real and she was a nurse:

Massachusetts Death Index, 1970-2003

about Anna E Kiltie

Name: Anna E Kiltie

Certificate: 015501

Death Place: Haverhill

Death Date: 7 Jan 1982

Birth Place: Maine

Birth Date: 15 Feb 1911

1930 United States Federal Census

about Anna E Kiltie

Name: Anna E Kiltie

Home in 1930: Haverhill, Essex, Massachusetts

Estimated Birth Year: abt 1911

Birthplace: Maine

Relation to Head of House: Nurse

Bob Hudson

Oh, by the way, she was an Army Nurse in WWII:

Boston Globe, The (MA) - January 9, 1982

Deceased Name: ANNA E. KILTIE, 70\ RETIRED HAVERHILL SCHOOL NURSE

Miss Anna E. Kiltie, retired school nurse and veteran of World War II, died Thursday at Hale Hospital here. She was 70.

Miss Kiltie was a graduate of Haverhill High School in 1928 and the Municipal Hale Hospital Nursing School.

She served from 1946 to 1977 as a nurse with the Haverhill School Department prior to her retirement.

Miss Kiltie was awarded the honorary life membership award by the National Parent-Teachers Assn., and in 1976, received the Haverhill Citizenship Award.

During World War II, Miss Kiltie served as a captain with the US Army Nurse Corps, attached to the 109th Evacuation Hospital. During this period, she served in Normandy, northern France, the Rhineland and in central Europe.

She was also a member and deaconess of the Portland Street Baptist Church; a member and past president of the Ladies Auxiliary of Clan Johnson of Andover; a member and past president of the Haverhill School Nurses Assn.; and was very active in the Salk Vaccine and Cancer Society programs.

Miss Kiltie leaves a sister, Miss Thelma M. Kiltie; an uncle; and four cousins.

A full military funeral service will be held Monday at 1 p.m. in the Portland Street Baptist Church.

I wonder if a patient(s) didn't have this made up for her?

Oh, by the way, she was an Army Nurse in WWII:

Boston Globe, The (MA) - January 9, 1982

Deceased Name: ANNA E. KILTIE, 70\ RETIRED HAVERHILL SCHOOL NURSE

Miss Anna E. Kiltie, retired school nurse and veteran of World War II, died Thursday at Hale Hospital here. She was 70.

Miss Kiltie was a graduate of Haverhill High School in 1928 and the Municipal Hale Hospital Nursing School.

She served from 1946 to 1977 as a nurse with the Haverhill School Department prior to her retirement.

Miss Kiltie was awarded the honorary life membership award by the National Parent-Teachers Assn., and in 1976, received the Haverhill Citizenship Award.

During World War II, Miss Kiltie served as a captain with the US Army Nurse Corps, attached to the 109th Evacuation Hospital. During this period, she served in Normandy, northern France, the Rhineland and in central Europe.

She was also a member and deaconess of the Portland Street Baptist Church; a member and past president of the Ladies Auxiliary of Clan Johnson of Andover; a member and past president of the Haverhill School Nurses Assn.; and was very active in the Salk Vaccine and Cancer Society programs.

Miss Kiltie leaves a sister, Miss Thelma M. Kiltie; an uncle; and four cousins.

A full military funeral service will be held Monday at 1 p.m. in the Portland Street Baptist Church.

I wonder if a patient(s) didn't have this made up for her?

yeah I wonder too.

Its always nice to find out more and to find out the history behind pieces like this.

This has been an interesting thread. However, despite the info on the vet attribution, I agree with Paul C. saying this is not an original piece. Why? I figured I would just show each possibility suggested - that it is a collar insignia or from a flight nurse wing:

COLLAR INSIGNIA:

Just looking at the front (since the back has been commented on), it does not appear similar to the construction and overall look. Take for instance the size and color of the "N" for a collar insignia. The questionable one is obviously much brighter color than the early nurse corps "N" which appears more brownish red. Also, the questionable one is not as large and spread out. The color intensity and style of the questionable one actually reminds me of the color and style of the "A" worn on Coast Guard Auxiliary insignia (not sure if at one time they would have a special designation for a nurse?).

1.jpg

FLIGHT NURSE WING:

I also do not believe it is a flight nurse wing. The same inconsistences as above with the collar insignia.

2.jpg

In short, I think this piece was probably a fantasy / souvenir piece someone gave her or she picked up. Just my two cents.

This has been an interesting thread. However, despite the info on the vet attribution, I agree with Paul C. saying this is not an original piece. Why? I figured I would just show each possibility suggested - that it is a collar insignia or from a flight nurse wing:

COLLAR INSIGNIA:

Just looking at the front (since the back has been commented on), it does not appear similar to the construction and overall look. Take for instance the size and color of the "N" for a collar insignia. The questionable one is obviously much brighter color than the early nurse corps "N" which appears more brownish red. Also, the questionable one is not as large and spread out. The color intensity and style of the questionable one actually reminds me of the color and style of the "A" worn on Coast Guard Auxiliary insignia (not sure if at one time they would have a special designation for a nurse?).

post-1-1212338271.jpg

FLIGHT NURSE WING:

I also do not believe it is a flight nurse wing. The same inconsistences as above with the collar insignia.

post-1-1212338848.jpg

In short, I think this piece was probably a fantasy / souvenir piece someone gave her or she picked up. Just my two cents.

I agree with all authors and experts that say its a fantasy piece.

But I still find it a nice piece.

I have heard from the seller that she or he has all the gear from that nurse, she does re-enactment with it.

I wonder if the seller could maybe give me some pics of the other stuff.

I think it the seller has all the original gear it would be something very intersting.