US M7 bayonet.......53 years of US and Foreign Military Service

M7bayonet

This month a US made Australian M7 sold for $241.00 on ebay. The last three or four of these bayonets on ebay all went for about the same price. Why this sudden increase of prices for these "Broad arrow" marked M7s made for Australian by GEN CUT in this country? Any thoughts on this?

I’m personally perplexed at some of the things I see in the market today. On the one hand, what seems to me as unusually high prices for some items. On the other hand I see what I consider to be outright bargains on other items. Not all of it can be explained by the items condition, or previous interest either.

I just wish that more of the type of items I’m interested in would fall on the short side of the line. :)

That prototype M7 looks like the one from ebay last year that was found at Rockland Arsenal. If memory serves me correct, it went for $875. Nice M7.

Frank Trzaska, Gary Cunningham, Bill Porter and now Bill Humes. Wow, we are so lucky to have you gentlemen on this Forum! If only Carter Rila (RIP) was still with us :(

MARV....I am gonna try to post pics on my days off, thanks for the insight. And don't feel bad, my bid was $800 for that very same M7 prototype and I didn't win it either. It is a prototype test wirecutter M7.

Wow.....don't know how I did it but I just won a near mint MILPAR Colt M7 for $298.99 on ebay. I was the only bidder until the last 2 minutes and then one other bidder jumped it from $225.00 to $298.99. My high bid was $300.00. I thought someone from the Forum would be bidding on that bayonet for the last week.

Just out of curiosity, how many of you own a Milpar Colt M7 or have ever seen one. I have only seen 7 since I have been collecting M7s. I know there are Imperial Colts all over the Internet right now, but Milpar Colts are not easy to find. Just trying to get a feel for how many are in collections.

Just heads up for anyone bidding on eBay for the Vietnam War Bayonets of Honor or the fighting knife version. Unless they have a serial number on the blade reverse side, they are simply put together pieces from left over parts from the production run of 2500 each for the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marines. These bayonets were made by Imperial for the American Historical Foundation in 1985 to commemorate the 10th anniversary of the end of the Vietnam War. The blades have a beautiful engraving on the blade with the branch of service and Vietnam and then a Vietnamese jungle scene. In 1985 these bayonets sold for $189.00 and for $24.00 more you could get a case for the bayonet. Add an additional $15.00 and the blade reverse would be personalized with your personal service information. Absolutely fantastic commemorative bayonets and still selling for $150 on up to over $300 depending on the branch of service and how low the serial number is. ( United States Marine versions seem to bring the highest prices. ).The fighting knife version on eBay is put together with parts. It has no serial number and there never was a fighting knife version made by the American Historical Foundation or Imperial. Just thought I would put that out for potential bidders. I have all 4 versions in cases and a couple years ago found a framed collection of all 4 versions with matching serial numbers from the estate of Major Dennis J. Marvicsin with his Vietnam service dates of 1965-66-68-69. He was a US Army Cobra helicopter pilot and wrote the book "COBRA PILOT". It is a shame but a lot of the examples for sale lately are from veterans estates. The serial numbered originals are great collector items if you collect M7s.

• 3 months later...

There is another MILPAR Colt M7 bayonet listed on ebay. The sad thing about this bayonet is it has been sharpened. Seller says that the Marine that had it sharpened it because he wanted it sharp enough to slice a piece of paper. A real shame, because sharpening it has greatly reduced it's value.

Saw where this latest Colt/Milpar ended going for about $100 including shipping. Seems like a pretty sane price for a rarer piece with condition issues.

Saw that also. For the condition and the issue with the blade being sharpened around $100 would be a fair price. Prices for MILPAR Colts usually vary between $300 and $500, depending on condition and scabbard.

I was watching this one and wanted it. Since it was sharpened (although nicely done) I thought I might get it at a good price. Well, I fell asleep in my recliner and woke up ten minutes too late. Easy come, easy go.

Marv

While we are on the subject and are willing to learn, I noticed some interesting things about this Milpar/Colt bayonet. Again, we have a back cut question. First of all, although it is not captioned on Bill Humes M7 site, I believe the picture here is of an Imperial/Colt and a Milpar/Colt each having the sloped runnout.

post-66-0-19967900-1405867524.jpg

The back cut on the ebay Milpar/Colt and an example on WillyP's site has a near 90 degree back cut. Each one also appears to have a slightly raised straight line right ahead of the back cut.

post-66-0-34413000-1405867905.jpg

post-66-0-04654100-1405868253.jpg

Also, in the two examples the grips are sporting the threaded bushing in the handle rather than the nut and bolt set up in the Humes example. We either have slight variations in the Milpar/Colt bayonets or maybe I am misinterpreting Bill Humes' example on his site. Very interesting. Any insights or comments?

Marv

Marv....the MILPAR Colt M7 posted on my page is a very unusual version. The crossguard is clearly marked US M7 and MILPAR. The pommel is peened correctly for a MILPAR and is clearly stamped with the MILPAR chevron. The blade does not appear to be MILPAR blade. The backcut is completely different from the 90 degree backcut on most MILPAR Colts. The MILPAR rampart horse Colt logo is different in comparison with that of an IMPERIAL......a normal MILPAR rampart stamping shows less of the globe that the horse is standing on and the horse's head is further down from the top of the inner circle. Also, early MILPARs, which the MILPAR Colts definately are, had a very unique blade cut on the top of the blade. The way MILPAR had their blade designed gives it a very different feel in your hand when you hold it. The handles on this version used the nut and bolt system where other MILPARs ultilize the threaded bushings. I have 3 other MILPAR Colts in my collection and they all appear to be normal MILPAR Colts. The one in question seems to have a blade that is not a MILPAR blade. Was it made by MILPAR using another makers blade, or was this particular version put together by an individual. If it is an individual made version it is a very well made example. Since it doesn't appear to be a MILPAR blade, is it an IMPERIAL blade or a blade from an unknown maker. Another mystery of the early Colt marked M7s.

There is definitely something about the appearance of Milpar blades from the early 60’s, both M6 and M7’s that sets them apart from other bayonet blades from the same period. I can usually spot the differences before I can read the name on the bayonet.

I imagine this is related to a patent that Milpar had for making the blades. Gary brought that up in post # 41 of the thread I linked to below.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/164283-colt-marked-m7-that-does-not-fit-the-profile/page-3

Sactroop.......I definitely agree with you. You can definitely tell a MILPAR blade just by looking at it. And like I said, they feel different when you hold them.....they just have a very distinct look and feel and are a very well made M7.

Not to change the subject, but if I don't post this now I know I will forget it. On RT I just saw an interview with an Australian Army General concerning women in their military. They were showing females in their Army during bayonet practice and they were using dummy rifles with GEN CUT made M7s (Broad Arrow marked I am sure). Just thought it was interesting how they practiced....charging wooden cut outs of soldiers and thrusting the bayonets into the cut outs. American made M7s. Also another M7 note.....last week a FZR M7 only went for $120 on ebay. That's the cheapest I have seen an FZR go for on ebay in a long time.

Just went through ebay and saw this......US M7 BAYONET IN MINTY CONDITION-NR. It is listed as an IMPERIAL M7 and from the looks of the ad it does not come with a scabbard. Not an unusual bayonet unless you look at the 3rd picture posted by the seller. The crossguard is stamped US M7 IMPERIAL. .....but then you can clearly see another mark stamped into the crossguard. That mark is the Hebrew symbol used as an acceptence mark by the IMI.....Israeli Military Industries. These bayonets were made in the early 1990s by IMPERIAL for the Israeli Military. The original scabbard that came with these bayonets were the crinkle finish USM8A1 that are unmarked.....the same scabbards that IMPERIAL used with there Colt marked M7s. These bayonets with scabbard are valued at $100-$150. I think there was about 22 hours left on the auction and had 11 bids. Price is still low but obviously with that amount of bids someone must know what it really is. These bayonets are relatively rare. Just to make it clear, I have nothing to do with this auction and do not know the seller. I just thought I would post this for the M7 collectors that don't have one of these in their collection.

Marv....the MILPAR Colt M7 posted on my page is a very unusual version. The crossguard is clearly marked US M7 and MILPAR. The pommel is peened correctly for a MILPAR and is clearly stamped with the MILPAR chevron.

Hi, OK, What is the "MILPAR chevron"? I'm getting dizzy looking at Milpar M7s and M6s on ebay.

Marv

On the top of the pommel of the early MILPAR M7s there is a chevron stamped on the pommel. >

Marv. Early MILPAR M7s, both the Colt versions and early production versions are stamped with a chevron mark (< )on the pommel. This mark does not appear on later production MILPAR M7s. I am not sure what the chevron stamp represents, but it appears on all the early MILPAR M7s. I have not seen this mark on any other M7 bayonets made by the various different makers. I just know if you have a MILPAR M7 with the chevron on the pommel it is an early 1960s made bayonet.