SNY Belt Rig From The Attic

This SNY belt set was recently found in an attic. All parts are id'd and after brief research I found him listed as a member of the 150th NYV Infantry. I will let the photos tell the rest.

post-2609-0-23580300-1394664042.jpg

post-2609-0-61836000-1394664057.jpg

M24 Chaffee

That's just too cool! A complete set Id'ed to a soldier. Will you be contacting the NY state archives and the National Archives to get military service/pension records and such? It's so interesting to have a piece like that. Kinda gives it a special glow.

Frank

P-40Warhawk

Never quit looking, there is the proof it is there waiting to be rediscovered.

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely amazing! The 150th NY, also known as the "Dutchess County Regiment" fought at Culps Hill and there is even a monument to them there as well as countless across the county itself. What an amazing piece of history.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Steve Rogers

I love untouched stuff from the attic, and the identification is an added bonus. For what it's worth the set may be from the man's service in the New York National Guard. The arrow-back SNY belt plates seem to date from 1863 on, the same time the state changed the designation of its troops from NY State Militia to National Guard State of NY and changed uniform regulations. Few of those belt plates, and fewer of the box plates, have been excavated indicating they stayed mostly in state (which would be natural, since the US government had taken over supply by then.)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...