Hawkins vs. M7 mine

jgawne

I missed a really nice item related to this discussion on eBay the other day as the auction was pulled a few hours before it closed. And, unfortunately I was unable to save the photos before it disappeared.

An inert T-7 mine was offered complete with a completely different pattern T-series fuze (T-8 or perhaps T-28, IIRC). The fuze was different from the normal production fuzes used with the M-7 mines, as shown in several photos above. The mine body looked the same as the standard M-7 but was dated 1-44.

What I thought was really interesting was the black stencilling on the body....."MINE GRENADE T-7". As the standard form for the Ordnance Dept. would be to designate something as one or the other, the British seemed to alternately refer to the No.75 Hawkins as both a mine and a grenade. Sort of leaves little doubt to the lineage of the M-7 mine.

• 4 months later...

As it usually happens for me, I go looking for one thing and find something else.

While I can't add to the discussion as to whether the M7 was used during the Normandy Invasion, I did find this photo online that was taken during a demolition course at Ft Benning 12 Jul 44. The specifically references the M7 when comparing it to Japanese style mines. Clearly replacements arriving in theater towards the end of 1944 would have been familiar with the M7 mine.

http://www.ww2online.org/image/japanese-mines-compared-us-mines-fort-benning-georgia-12-july-1944

Peter

Thanks for reviving this thread with the new photo. It reminded me that the eBay seller of the mine mentioned earlier corresponded with me for a while and managed to save two photos thought to be lost earlier. Note the T-7 mine has the same odd fuze seen in Peter's Ft. Benning image.

post-340-0-68084700-1409883935.jpg