ID'ed specimen in my "Blood Chits" collection.

BlueBookGuy

BlueBookGuy

Hello all,

having got much recently my latest and (for me) most interesting one in my small collection of original WW2 Blood Chits collection, I'd be glad to share with people fascinated like me by these items.

The following Chit was owned by Capt. Dale E. Pinckney, P-40K pilot of 16th Fighter Squadron, 51st Fighter Group, 14th Air Force in winter 1943-44. Based at Chengkung, Yunnani province of Southern China.

Pieces of velvet and leather sewn to a larger, white leather backing piece.

post-151851-0-74601400-1394479037.jpg

BlueBookGuy

The much stylized Chinese text is described in Mr. Baldwin's excellent book "Last Hope", explaining of a very similar text like this.

The interesting CBI shield was added somewhere in this Chit's life and partially hids some small area of text - made of a white leather piece, held by a sewn-on border.

In this respect is very much resembling one of the classic CBI shields, as worn on shoulder sleeves of A-2 jackets. Main difference being in case of A-2s' shields, their construction in multi-leather pieces for stripes, star, and Chinese sun.

This one was exclusively hand-colored with great precision - a skilled eye beyond a steady hand!!

post-151851-0-30257200-1394479610.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Capt. Pinckney's P-40K, tail number #358 (P-40s of 16th Fighter Squadron's had tail/numbers from 350 to 399), flown by him in the mission he was shot down while ground strafing:

post-151851-0-45062500-1394479954.jpg

BlueBookGuy

In this shot (unfortunately from behind) Capt. Pinckney climbs into his P-40 fighter at Chengkung base in China.

post-151851-0-85129700-1394480107.jpg

BlueBookGuy

I go on in posting pics of some more Chits, hoping they could be found as interesting - thanks for watching :)

this 5 Languages Chit, still in good shape is the 1st variation of this "series" (a total of four Chits with 5 Languages, all officially made under Govt. orders).

My specimen in this frame is the Silk/Cotton one, the two layers being sewn together along the rims.

Blue ink for the various texts, and almost exclusively issued to aircrews flying over Himalaya:

post-151851-0-29763900-1394480300.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Another portion of the wall.

The uppermost Chit was removed from a garment, almost certainly a flight jacket it was sewn to.

One of the most beautiful patter in my opinion, a myriad of sub/subvariants even within this very same design. Great conditions (used but not worn out), and still vivid colors yet without any serious stains or tears.

post-151851-0-44083100-1394480615.jpg

BlueBookGuy

This another variant of the 5 Language Chit - still double layer, but 1) US-made, 2) rayon fabric + cotton backing, 3) black texts

That in previous photo, with much more "tolerances" in printing, was 1) India-made, 2) silk + cotton backing, 3) blue texts.

post-151851-0-30503000-1394481556.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Here, the 5 /Languages Blood Chit is framed together with a CBI silk scarf and a specimen of the 6 /Languages Chit. Other Chits are below (including two in Russian language, for the so-called "Shuttle flights" to and from Russia).

The 6/languages Chit is similar apparently to the 5/Languages one. Difference is the single layer (cotton only).

post-151851-0-49940500-1394481894.jpg

BlueBookGuy

The US-made, 6/Languages Chit (the only variant produced) vs. the US-made, 5/Languages Chit (one of four 5/Languages Chit in total):

post-151851-0-26415300-1394482260.jpg

BlueBookGuy

This, one of the rarest Blood Chits of the Chinese-made (by the Kuomingtan Govt.) pattern, say, the classic pattern derived from the very first series issued to 1st AVG and subsequently issued to US airmen through 1943-44.

Front layer silk, sewn to a cotton backing. Flag and text are printed.

This well used Chit has the rare vertical s/n along the left-side border, instead of the horizontal-printed one. The somehow faded s/n itself is low indeed - 2639 :love: - and could be tracked down to early springtime 1943 in my opinion.

Blood (...mine, of course) and tears to get this. Too much overtime work, and money put aside for this... but must admit I fell in love at first sight.

post-151851-0-31945500-1394483244.jpg

BlueBookGuy

Silk layer is worn in areas, and colors are not longer perfect but I believe to "smell" some history from this piece of fabric..

(continues..)

post-151851-0-89287000-1394483824.jpg

BBG - You have a superb chit collection. These "Rescue Flags" have always been dear to me since I first saw the John Wayne film, "Flying Tigers" many years ago as a child. AND, your Aviator Collections are absolutely wonderful. Thank you for sharing them with us. Bobgee

Franco- I am blown away by your collection and appreciate you taking the time to share knowledge and insights! Truely awsome collection!

Jeff

BlueBookGuy

In decidedly better shape is this Chinese-made "Blood Chit", again officially issued by Kuomintang Govt.

The so-called "Chop" (official Chinese seal, hand-printed on every single Chit) is still relatively well visible, toward the far left-side of text, in more or less pink shade. The same for the so-called "May-Guo" character, hand-added in purple ink - at the bottom of second column , from right-side (Chinese terms for "American man").

The most visible differences are the different shade of red, the reduced-size Chinese Sun on blue field (and different shape of "rays"), and the third character down the first column, at far right-side. You can compare both the details with the previous and older Chit.

This latter change is difficult to date, but could have officially been made in late summer 1944.

Of course, until the war's end, those made and issued by Chinese government will always be in double layer and silk/cotton. Will see subsequently how much these patterns gave input to US government in making and issuing their own Chits.

post-151851-0-18062400-1394495941.jpg

BlueBookGuy

A better shot.

Please look for the Chinese Sun, its size in respect to the blue field, and the rays themselves in respect to the circle. All this compared to that previous, well worn (and older) Chit from 1943.

(continues..)

post-151851-0-19298000-1394497089.jpg

BlueBookGuy

A very interesting Chit made for USN aviators (possibly not before very late in 1944).

Noteworthy is the perfection in details, nearing 100%, but printed on a piece of thin leather instead of some kind of fabric.

post-151851-0-50337400-1394497259.jpg

BlueBookGuy

The two (slightly different) pattern Chinese Chits but, US-made and US-issued - modelled after the classic, earlier true Chinese-made Chits.

Appeared on the scene not before late November 1944, and were made of a single layer, rayon fabric (opposed to the two-layer, silk+ cotton backing of the former ones). Issued in truly great numbers but with much more priority to PTO, than the CBI (even if inspired so much clearly by the "Chits" originated in China).

The "chop" is different, more squared than the one present on the true Chinese patterns.

post-151851-0-68327900-1394540528.jpg

BlueBookGuy

In these US-made Chits the texts are a bit different between them, with the earlier one (at left-side in the above photo) having printed what in the Chinese-made Chits was hand-added: this is, the two characters at bottom of 2nd column from right-side.

These two symbols were invariably added in purple ink on the silk layer on the Chinese-made specimens.

BlueBookGuy

Two more Chits, unofficially made by local very talented artisans in India.

Both are made of silk and sewn + embroidered, however in different ways. The Chit at right-side was owned by a C-46 Co-pilot flying over the "Hump" in 1944.

post-151851-0-66275500-1394541398.jpg