1905 Scabbard

LtRGFRANK

I picked up a scabbard for my 1917 dated 1905 Bayonet. Made by Bauer Bros. This has the drain hole in the tip. I say its just a variation and my son says it was a Marine item. Any comments from those who know more about this than me.

If I'm reading Gary's book correctly, a drain hole on the tip on the tip makes it a 2nd type made on 1907, or after. This would make it a variation, but we'll see what Gary, or Greg have to say.

Greg Robinson

The drain hole is just a manufacturer's variation and has no significance. And Brauer Bros was one of the WW1 contractors. They typically dated their scabbards and I've owned examples dated 1917 and 1918. Neither of these features make it Marine Corps issue. There was no USMC specific Model of 1910 scabbard as far as I know. Some collectors call the early green canvas colored ones "USMC" but I've never seen a confirmation of this. But their was a replacement scabbard cover made in the pre/early WW2 period that was USMC contract

Having computor problems again. Me running it not the computor working. Will try later to post it.

Greg Robinson

Here's a typical Brauer Bros bayonet scabbard....dated 1917....with grommeted drain hole.

post-4-1211642071.jpg

Greg Robinson
I should add mine is the blued blade not parkerized

The "SA 1917" and SA 1918" were both blued with the only differences between the two years is the 1917 was better polished and so more of a glossy finish. But both are a satin finish "wartime" blue.

I was able to pick my bayonet up several years ago for the wild sum of $40. And yes the bluing is a saten finish

The drain hole is just a manufacturer's variation and has no significance. And Brauer Bros was one of the WW1 contractors. They typically dated their scabbards and I've owned examples dated 1917 and 1918. Neither of these features make it Marine Corps issue. There was no USMC specific Model of 1910 scabbard as far as I know. Some collectors call the early green canvas colored ones "USMC" but I've never seen a confirmation of this. But their was a replacement scabbard cover made in the pre/early WW2 period that was USMC contract

I am not too sure about there not being a Marine type.

My scabbard is a little different from the ones shown here thus far.

The webbing more like canvas.

It is manufactured with a side seam.

The leather is black and thiner then the others. It also has the eyelet.

The M-1910 hanger is of the Marine type and it is sewn different from the others.

Lastly the catches for securing the bayonet to the scabbard have been ground off to make it easier to remove from a pack.

uniforms225.jpg

uniforms224.jpg

uniforms219.jpg

uniforms220.jpg

uniforms221.jpg