Helmet Paint Stripping

Gieb8688

Hello,

I have acquired a named Nazi helmet from my uncle, but unfortunately he experienced Alzheimers and painted the helmet a number of times. I would really like to get down to the original finish, but don't want to destroy the original finish while trying to get there. Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Mark

brandon_rss18
Hello,

I have acquired a named Nazi helmet from my uncle, but unfortunately he experienced Alzheimers and painted the helmet a number of times. I would really like to get down to the original finish, but don't want to destroy the original finish while trying to get there. Any suggestions??

Thanks,

Mark

I dont know if anyone on here can help you, this is a forum for American Militaria, but good luck

P.M. Lawdog, he has a slick way of stripping off multiple layers of paint off of original U.S. helmets without messing up the original cork. If it will work on U.S. helmets I cant see why it wont work on a German one. Good luck! thumbsup.gif

You can also try using a product called "Goof-Off". You can get it at any hardware store. You'll spend a lot of time taking the layers off this way but you will get there eventually and the time is worth the effort. Incidentally, this is what Gary at Lawdog uses... I guess I just let the cat out of the bag! ermm.gif As for this being a US forum and to keep it in compliance, I will also say that this works great on U.S. M-1 helmets!

I know that water based paint strippers are avaiable through hardware and home supply stores.It can be used in various degrees and washed off with water to stop the stuff from penetrating to far.Its best to experiment on something else first.I have a couple old .50 cal ammo cans that farmers have painted over and over and used for tool boxes.

Half the battle is to determine the type od paint used..laquer,latex,oil base,many old paints contain lead.Good luck.

RON

Thanks for the feedback! I hope to start the stripping process soon and will be sure to let you know how it turns out.

Thanks again,

Mark

• 2 weeks later...
Simon Lerenfort
Hello,

Thanks,

Mark

Hello Mark,

Let me know how you get on. Removing layers of paint is always a risky business, especially if there might be decals underneath. You are welcome to read one method used on an M1 on my site, see link below. Have you done any research into the named owner yet?

http://www.lerenfort.fsnet.co.uk/page125.html

Hello Mark,

Let me know how you get on. Removing layers of paint is always a risky business, especially if there might be decals underneath. You are welcome to read one method used on an M1 on my site, see link below. Have you done any research into the named owner yet?

http://www.lerenfort.fsnet.co.uk/page125.html

Hi Simon,

I will definitely let you know how it turns out and thanks for sending the link to your site! I also need to research the name. Could be very interesting. Since I don't normally collect this type of item do you have any suggestions on where to start a search?

Thanks,

Mark

• 4 weeks later...
Simon Lerenfort

Hi Mark,

Sorry I haven't replied sooner. With regard to the name in the helmet. You could search the Volksbunds site to see if the person was a casualty. Of course chances are that you only have a surname in it rather than first and surname. Are there any other markings or writing. First instance a 5 digit code might just be a Feldpost number reference. Having this you could then attribute the item to a particular unit.

Otherwise, wth only a surname it's like a needle in a haystack I'm afraid.

Good Luck!

How well does GOOF-OFF work on helmet liners? I recently picked up a few liners that appear that have been spray painted white by the American Legion. Unfortunetly there is some over spray on the inside of the liners. Does the inside need to be treated differently than the outside? They are good looking liners and I would like to restore them back as close to original as possible.

Of course, I could always paint red crosses on the WWII liners and call it winter camouflage! Maybe paint US MP and South Vietnamese MP markings on the KW/VN liners! I'll just change my screen name to Beasty_Green! :rolleyes:

How well does GOOF-OFF work on helmet liners? I recently picked up a few liners that appear that have been spray painted white by the American Legion. Unfortunetly there is some over spray on the inside of the liners. Does the inside need to be treated differently than the outside? They are good looking liners and I would like to restore them back as close to original as possible.

Of course, I could always paint red crosses on the WWII liners and call it winter camouflage! Maybe paint US MP and South Vietnamese MP markings on the KW/VN liners! I'll just change my screen name to Beasty_Green! :rolleyes:

I am GUESSING that the original finish on a GI helmet was lacquer, or at least baked on enamel. While a spray paint job would likely be just un-baked enamel. So you could try strippers that work on enamel, but not lacquer-based paints. Very likely GOOF OFF will do this.

• 3 months later...

I have a fixed-bail helmet that has a layer of paint on the top which is chipping away. I don't think the paint that chipping away is the original and you can see what looks like a cork finish underneath it.

The paint which is chipping away is shiny and smooth to run your finger over, it also looks like it was painted over a couple times. How should I go about removing that outside layer of paint? think.gif

- Jeff

post-1090-1225922690.jpg

post-1090-1225922705.jpg

Hello this forum im a member of should be able to help you there are a few threads on the subject

All the best

ollie

Here is the link

http://www.militariacollecting.com/

MCF is ran by a convicted thief, Roger Honts and has sold fake German items on ebay under several different identities. He is a well known crook on many German artifact forums. He was convicted in Kansas City for engineering the theft of several hundered thousand dollars worth of Nazi artifacts from John Angolia.

Steve Ray

Simon Lerenfort
MCF is ran by a convicted thief, Roger Honts and has sold fake German items on ebay under several different identities. He is a well known crook on many German artifact forums. He was convicted in Kansas City for engineering the theft of several hundered thousand dollars worth of Nazi artifacts from John Angolia.

Steve Ray

Worst kind of low life then.

btw WWvault, your M1 would appear to have been repainted for re-issue post ww2 - although that shade of green is not easy to work out from your photos. Paint undeneath looks salty enough though. Good luck!

Hi SteveR, I didn’t know that, I know there are a great number of other shites of the highest order that have got them selves high up on there, but it does have some good solid members and some great threads.

Would love to know more about him, knowing who to and not to trust goes a long way in this hobby.

Ollie

I know for a fact that this can be done and done well.....but I don't know the exact method.

A buddy of mine bought a German helmet at a flea market....thought he saw a speck of something underneath a chip in the paint.....stripped off the top coat to find a real SS helmet with decal....in good overall condition. I am confident that it can be done for American stuff as well....

• 1 month later...

I have successfully removed postwar paint from German helmets. Start with very light application of fingernail polish (which is diluted acetone), don't jump straight up to acetone (it is more aggressive than the fingernail polish). I've had good success with that, but go slow and not too hard. As far as the US helmet on here....try flaking up the paint over the cork finish with your fingernail or the edge of an old credit card,etc. It looks like it would just chip off. Chris...

Hello,

Thanks,

Mark

Gieb8688,hopefully you will see this,I also belong to this forum{it was the first I came across]and has sections devoted to german collectables and other including U.S.,they are very friendly&helpfull,as this forum is:http://warrelics.eu/forum/,good luck with the stripping,but be aware goofoff,acetone and some strippers are very flammable and the vapors can be dangerous,always use outdoors and best to dispose of rags in proper manner,if trying to reuse store in safe sealed containers..empty paint cans can be found at most paint stores{mab,sherwin williams ect.]Good luck