USAF F-86 fighter pilot

Sabrejet

BlueBookGuy

Post #12 shows those A-13 masks still fitted with the "plain" end connector, instead of the seemingly ubiquitous MC-3 type so predominant with post-war specimens of the future MS-22001. Interesting enough!! :o

Your A-13 MC-3 is the correct 1st pattern, baremetal-colored one. A more bell-shaped and slightly different design than the "classic" O.D.-colored, more streamlined one wich dominated since about 1954. Also correct the canvas-made (not nylon) nose strap on the A-13, with one snap only.

Well done!!

Franco.

• 3 weeks later...

I know little if nothing about flight helmets....But this crew is wearing some strange looking head gear.#1 looks like a set of earphones with who knows what kind of shell.#2 looks like a football helmet.#3 it may be issue.#4 sure looks like an M1 liner.

Any thoughts or I'm just not up to speed on flight helmets.

Bob

florida_ang_rockets_team_members_c1948-b

I know little if nothing about flight helmets....But this crew is wearing some strange looking head gear.#1 looks like a set of earphones with who knows what kind of shell.#2 looks like a football helmet.#3 it may be issue.#4 sure looks like an M1 liner.

Any thoughts or I'm just not up to speed on flight helmets.

Bob

I agree with your observations. I can only assume that they were extemporized helmets?

Before the first USAF issued P-1 helmet, jet pilots were using some kinds of helmets as tank crews helmets, football helmets, M-1 helmets (more rarely) over ww2 canvas or leather flying helmets. Also there were some flying hard shell helmets prototypes.

Franck

• 2 weeks later...
BlueBookGuy

Yes, one of these tentative specimens was the massive "Rowlings" helmets. Should be the one worn by George Welch in a well-known photo, after succesfully making one of the early XF-86 test flights.

Franco.