8 replies to this topic

#1 2ad82recon

2ad82recon

• Members
    • Member ID: 6
  • 913 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:13 AM

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...Vie...N:IT&rd=1

Won this on EPay recently guys and girls and would appreciate a "dating" or "era" of this holster please .

Do i recall that Brauer Bros made scabbards during WW1 ?

Regards

Lloyd

#2 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 10:54 AM

http://cgi.ebay.co.u...Vie...N:IT&rd=1

Won this on EPay recently guys and girls and would appreciate a "dating" or "era" of this holster please .

Do i recall that Brauer Bros made scabbards during WW1 ?

Regards

Lloyd

Yeah...they made scabbards for the 1905 bayonet and 1910/1917 bolos. But not sure about that holster...it's a civilian rig.

#3 2ad82recon

2ad82recon

• Members
  • 913 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:11 PM

Hi Greg..thanks for the reply...yes agreed its civilian..BUT is it civilian 1940s or Civilian 1980s.............

Because there were "Private Purchase" holsters around in WW2 wasnt there buddy ?

Regards

Lloyd

#4 Greg Robinson

Greg Robinson

Deceased Forum Co-Founder

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 4
  • 3,404 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 05:19 PM

Hi Greg..thanks for the reply...yes agreed its civilian..BUT is it civilian 1940s or Civilian 1980s.............

Because there were "Private Purchase" holsters around in WW2 wasnt there buddy ?

Regards

Lloyd

Lloyd

I'm quite certain it's not 1980's vintage. In fact, I'm quite certain it's not 1960's or '70's either since it was during that time when I got interested in handguns. I never saw a Brauer Bros holster. So it could be WW2 or earlier vintage and, yes, it could have been carried by a GI or Marine as a private purchase rig

#5 artu44

artu44

MODERATOR EMERITUS

• Members
    • Member ID: 67
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 04:50 AM

The configuration of this holster is a classic one. Other manufacturers, i.e. Hunter, did holsters like this in 50-70s. If you take a look on ebay ,sporting goods section, you can see a lot of them.
Anyway Brauer Bros had also a contract for a supply of the regular WWII M1916 holsters.

Attached Images

• brauer1.jpg
  • brauer2.jpg

#6 2ad82recon

2ad82recon

• Members
  • 913 posts

Posted 22 December 2006 - 10:51 AM

Hey Aru..welcome to the forum..thanks for that advice.My 1914 Colt Commercial 45 fits the holster a treat.

For now until hard proof emerges i will consider it "private purchase" for my WW2 impression.

Regards

Lloyd

#7 artu44

artu44

MODERATOR EMERITUS

• Members
    • Member ID: 67
  • 2,436 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 02:19 AM

To have a definitive answer about the question we need the opinion of Charlie Flick or better of Turnerriver. Try to email them.

#8 Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 68
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 10:36 AM

Lloyd:

Yes, Brauer Bros. of St. Louis, MO. made leather goods for US Forces in both WW1 and WW2. The holster you have purchased, however, is not a USGI piece as you have discovered. This holster is a civilian holster and is generally referred to as a "field holster". It can thus be considered to be a "private purchase" holster in the military context.

BB made these holsters for many, many years and may still be making them, although the brass snaps with the Brauer logo helps to date your's to sometime in the 1930s to 1950s range. In their sales literature BB touted the quick release features of this holster that allowed it to be unsnapped and removed without having to unfasten one's belt to get the holster off. Similar holsters have been made by Hunter, Browning and other US holster manufacturers over the years.

To help you with any future re-enacting impression you may want to make, I have dug deep into my photo archives for the following pic. It was taken on March 5, 1945 and depicts Maj. General John O'Daniel congratulating a young Third Infantry Division Lt. on his receipt of another combat decoration. Note that MG O'Daniel is wearing a private purchase field holster to carry his M1911 which appears very similar to yours. One must wonder why a MG would use such a simple, inexpensive civilian rig when he was entitled to the General Officers holsters and belts that were available to GOs for this purpose. Who knows?

Anyway, if anyone wants to give you any flak about using your BB holster in a re-enacting impression, feel free to whip this pic out to satisfy any concerns over authenticity.

Oh, and by the way, that young Lt. in the photo? He was some guy named Audie Murphy........

Seasons Greetings to All!

Charlie Flick

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v146/Ordnanceguy/Holsters/MGJohnODanielFieldHolsterAwardAudie.jpg

#9 2ad82recon

2ad82recon

• Members
  • 913 posts

Posted 23 December 2006 - 02:13 PM

Hi Charlie what a GREAT photo...thanks for the advice buddy and i think with photographic evidence like that we can put it into the

"Im sorry newbie i think you had better do your research better before critiscising my living history impression" Category...:-)

Case Closed......

Happy holidays all

regards

Lloyd

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)