My Little Piece Of Schlueter From The SOS

Bugme

My helmet collecting friend, Bill W. got me this piece of Schlueter history when we saw him at the SOS. The old plant where many Schlueter M-1 helmets were made during WWII is being torn down, it's illustrious career will soon be gone. But, Bill was in St. Louis and managed get a few bricks from the building. I think that might be cork on the one side of the brick. ;)

Schlueter Mfg Brick.JPG

I'm not sure about the authenticity of that brick. I think the cork particles are a later addition...it also looks artificially aged IMHO. ( ;) )

USMC-RECON0321

It's to bad bricks are so heavy and course, it would be great to design some sort of Schlueter helmet stands out of them?? But before you know it, we would be asking for provenance for the brick! :o

Troy

It's to bad bricks are so heavy and course, it would be great to design some sort of Schlueter helmet stands out of them??

I'm actually trying to come up with a display that incorporates a Schlueter helmet and the brick along with a photo of the Schlueter plant in the background. The photo of the building is from the last years, I'd like to find one that was taken sometime near WWII but, can't seem to find one.

SergeantMajorGray

Such a nice looking old building shame it's being torn down I guess it must have had some problems inside hopefully it wasn't just torn down for the hell of it to build a Walgreen's and McDonalds..

Such a nice looking old building shame it's being torn down I guess it must have had some problems inside hopefully it wasn't just torn down for the hell of it to build a Walgreen's and McDonalds..

It's being torn down slowly, brick by brick, to be repurposed. So, the brick will live on in some other building I guess.

Thanks for posting. I tried to find out information on what happened to Schlueter a while back and came up with very little..

Does anybody know if they went out of business, or merged, etc....

Charlie

Thanks for posting. I tried to find out information on what happened to Schlueter a while back and came up with very little..

Does anybody know if they went out of business, or merged, etc....

Charlie

The best I can find is that they were making gas cans and outdoor water coolers into the mid 1950's. After that, it's like they fell off the face of the earth as a manufacturing entity.

Interesting piece, I would print out a photo of the factory and keep the brick in front of it.

Sarge

I would also print a description of the factory and about M1 helmet manufacture during the war

maybe make a display and use the brick as part of the display with a Schlueter

Interesting piece, I would print out a photo of the factory and keep the brick in front of it.

Sarge

I would also print a description of the factory and about M1 helmet manufacture during the war

maybe make a display and use the brick as part of the display with a Schlueter

This is my plan also, I want to find a nice clean Schlueter fixed loop to display with the brick and a photo of the building. I had not thought about adding the history but, that wil be part of it. I've already got a glass display case in which to put it all. Should it turn out like I see it in my mind, I'll post it here and will also bring out to the SOS to display on the table. If it doesn't look like I envision it... this thread will die. ^_^

USMC-RECON0321

This is my plan also, I want to find a nice clean Schlueter fixed loop to display with the brick and a photo of the building. I had not thought about adding the history but, that wil be part of it. I've already got a glass display case in which to put it all. Should it turn out like I see it in my mind, I'll post it here and will also bring out to the SOS to display on the table. If it doesn't look like I envision it... this thread will die. ^_^

Scott,

Better yet, I've got a whole row of Schlueter Helmet and liner sets complete that show the progression of the Schlueter helmets, I'll sell you for your display; ;)

Fixed loop, front seam,

Swivel loop, stainless rim, front seam

Swivel Loop, Steel rim, front seam

Swivel Loop, Steel rim, rear seam

Price (or trade) on request!!

post-33000-0-57420600-1394485475.jpg

USMC-RECON0321

Or you could buy my brick and make your collection complete Troy. :P

Dang,,,, I didn't see that coming! Is it named?

Dang,,,, I didn't see that coming! Is it named?

No but it did come out of a barn in Normandy... Normandy, Missouri that is!!! :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

No but it did come out of a barn in Normandy... Normandy, Missouri that is!!! :lol:

Believe it or not, the city of Normandy, Missouri is about 5 miles west of the old Schlueter factory. Strange, but true.

• 3 years later...
RustyCanteen

The best I can find is that they were making gas cans and outdoor water coolers into the mid 1950's. After that, it's like they fell off the face of the earth as a manufacturing entity.

Well, the story didn't end there..they moved to part of the old former St. Louis Small Arms Ammunition Plant in 1960, and closed their doors for good in July 1983. The last president of the company died in 1992. As to what they made, that seems to have been a little fluid depending on the decade (usually just utensils). We do know that they manufactured mines and helmets in WWII though. :)

RC