QUESTION ABOUT MARINE STRIPES DURING WW2

Terry K.

I have wondered about this for a long time. I have in my collection and have seen many (too many to be a coincidence) uniforms with one stripe removed leaving the other in place. I was told it was ordered during the war but can't find anything here about it. Anyone know what I am talking about?

Terry

Yes it seems around 43-44 only one chevron was used on the left arm in some units. I see it rather often but seem its on uniforms in that window of time. I've had a few over the years.

But I haven't found any hard evidence as to "why". All I know is that it was done and was legitimate.

LF

I also have one of these. Mine is a greatcoat dated 1940-41, with a ships detachment patch and a single stripe. Both are machine sewn on the left sleeve. There is no evidence of ever having a stripe on the right sleeve.

• 9 months later...

According to the famous June, 1943 issue of National Geographic Magazine, the issue dealing with military insignia, p. 705, "Ranks of noncommissioned officers and privates first class in the Marine Corps are indicated by chevrons. Formerly chevrons were worn on both sleeves, but by an order of September 9, 1942, chevrons are now worn only on the left sleeve. They are placed halfway between elbow and shoulder."

So, it's perfectly correct to find WWII Marine uniforms with chevrons only on the left sleeve.

Steve