BS Group to Surgeon

Teamski

I got this group about 2 years ago from another collector. It is a named Bronze Star group to a Two-war Surgeon. You can read about him on the Bio. I re-ribboned the WWI Victory with vintage ribbon as the original ribbon (with no bars) had just about completely fallen apart which threatened to lose the brooch. The group came with photo-copies of his DD-214, rememberance certificate and official career chronology. I like the addition of the French and Belgian War medals to the group and their inclusion on his original ribbon bars.

-Ski

post-3043-1211459890.jpg

Great medal/ribbon lot there! Is the BSM engraved?

Yes it is. I'm not sure if it's official or not. Maybe somebody knows.

-Ski

post-3043-1211489724.jpg

vicjoy1945

Hey !!

That's an officially engraved Bronze Star !! Script engraving appeared around the 1948 time frame...thank you Kurt Stauffer !!

Nice grouping !!

Vic

• 4 months later...

w00t.gif Sweet. I was able to get the Ohio National Guard 1938 yearbook from Kieth (see for sale section) and sure enough, I found Adelbert Callander. I sure love when things work out. Thanks Kieth!

-Ski

post-3043-1222798031.jpg

thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

The Bronze Star is probably an award based on the Combat Medic Badge. As with the CIB, you could apply for a BS starting in 1948 if you had earned the CMB .

Kurt

...Did surgeons get combat medic badges, though?...

That would depend upon the surgeon's duty and unit assignment and other circumstances (link here). His bio does not mention his unit and duties in Okinawa (and it shows him arriving there nearly three months before the first U.S. troops landed). Do you have more info on him? What does his DD-214 say about the CMB?

I don't have a DD 214 unfortunately, but I do have a copy of his DD 108, outlining his service. I also have a detailed WWI service history as well..... You can see that he qualified for both bars on his Occupation medal. I'll have to get his DD 214.

-Ski

post-3043-1222828566.jpg

...I do have a copy of his DD 108, outlining his service. I also have a detailed WWI service history as well....

The DD Form 108 might have your answer for the CMB. It indicates that Maj. Callander was assigned to 147th Infantry Regiment from 16 Aug. 41 until 26 Apr. 43. 147th Inf. has campaign participation credit for Guadalcanal (7 Aug. 42 - 21 Feb. 43) and Northern Solomons (22 Feb. 43 - 21 Nov. 44) and others after those two, but it is not clear if he was with 147th Inf. after April, 1943. However, Maj. Callander might have earned his CMB for serving with 147th Inf. in combat at Guadalcanal.

...the "OASH AUS" on the next line down might be an Army Surgical Hospital in Australia I suppose....

And it might be "Station Hospital" as there were several of those in Australia. That won't track with 147th Infantry's movements after No. Solomons campaign, as it was island hopping North by West. However, 147th apparently was not in Okinawa either, so Maj. Callander might have permanently left the 147th after Guadalcanal. Have you requested records? You might have some good luck with his, as many retiree records were not affected by the St. Louis fire