Photo

SOS 2014 Photos - for those of us not as fortunate...

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

#26 doinworkinvans

doinworkinvans
  • VOLUNTEERS
    • Member ID: 96,964
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

Past two days have been good for buying and selling, seen some great pieces and have a nice group to take home. While there is a lot of stuff, and I mean A LOT, much of it is TR and not much in my interest field....

Thats what I was afraid of....I watched the OVMS video from last years show on their webpage and I saw ALOT of German, TR stuff...

I had already been making plans to adjust my vacation here at work to be able to go next year but after that I am not so sure...

#27 Irish69

Irish69
  • Members
    • Member ID: 61,561
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:29 AM

Saw the same OVMS vid & came away thinking is SOS just a Mega MAX Show? My interest in TR stuff is low, but I do admire Mr. Wittmann's vids as dealer/show promoter of TR collecting. We who collect USA militaria have no, such vid advocate :(

#28 Waltz41

Waltz41
  • Members
    • Member ID: 89,245
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:03 AM

Geez......I just had an 'ah-ha' moment.....for a little while I couldn't figure out what TR meant!  Then it just hit me. Duh!!

#29 uplandmod

uplandmod
  • Members
    • Member ID: 20,589
  • 4,157 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 10:20 AM

Let's get some WWII USMC photos!!

#30 airbornemedals

airbornemedals
  • Members
    • Member ID: 107,374
  • 180 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:18 AM

The folks on the WAF said quality German was like seeing a traveling museums priced so high folks cant afford to buy. The same German stuff there this year was the same a last year. How is it for American? Is quality American moving?

#31 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,022
  • 37,412 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:19 AM

Geez......I just had an 'ah-ha' moment.....for a little while I couldn't figure out what TR meant!  Then it just hit me. Duh!!

TR = Trashy Relics  ;)

#32 Dakota

Dakota
  • Members
    • Member ID: 34,988
  • 1,522 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:34 PM

Let's get some WWII USMC photos!!

You and me both upland!

D

#33 B24AT6

B24AT6
  • Members
    • Member ID: 41,109
  • 1,547 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:30 PM

Friday just ended, and being at the SOS for the first time, it was absolutely overwhelming. I intended to get some pictures to put here but just couldn't get out of my state of awe. Did get to meet some fellow forum members and it was great to get to chat with those I saw.

And if you are worried about TR dominance, I would say it is in the majority, but not by much, maybe 40-45% US/Allies to 55-60% TR/Axis.

Edited by B24AT6, 28 February 2014 - 03:31 PM.

#34 CINCPOA

CINCPOA
  • Members
    • Member ID: 78,926
  • 34 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

I used to nearly always end the long day with a headache. 

#35 TRR

TRR
  • Members
    • Member ID: 110,009
  • 2,398 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:07 PM

It is like any other show, some items priced low and some high. The dealers that are there to make money are making deals. With 1900 tables you can't not find something to buy. I like it better this year, IMO the TR is toned down. Lots of uniforms from all eras and several countries. I met some great guys from the forum and look forward to meeting more tomorrow.

I took a few pictures that I will upload tonight.

#36 David D

David D
  • Members
    • Member ID: 151,093
  • 4,788 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:24 PM

Awesome pictures so far cant wait for more.

-Dave

#37 Pete-o MSU

Pete-o MSU
  • Members
    • Member ID: 236
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

I could only stay Thursday had to run back to MI last night. Wish I could of stayed longer. I met and got to chat with some great members. I was buying WWII medal groups and there were some great items for sale ranging from 100 bucks to 10,000+. I saw guys get great bargain hunting deals for a hundred or less. Myself I picked up some great items from great forum members. As for pictures I didn't take any because I have been scolded in the past for even having my cell out to look up information. Here is a shot of what I bought though. Can't wait until next year and the show isn't even over.

Pete

Attached Images

• image.jpg

#38 ghost

ghost
  • Members
    • Member ID: 117
  • 955 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 04:54 PM

I could only stay Thursday had to run back to MI last night. Wish I could of stayed longer. I met and got to chat with some great members. I was buying WWII medal groups and there were some great items for sale ranging from 100 bucks to 10,000+. I saw guys get great bargain hunting deals for a hundred or less. Myself I picked up some great items from great forum members. As for pictures I didn't take any because I have been scolded in the past for even having my cell out to look up information. Here is a shot of what I bought though. Can't wait until next year and the show isn't even over.

Pete

Really??!!, cell phone cops?? I'd like to hear the rest of that story

#39 CNY Militaria

CNY Militaria

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 94
  • 12,001 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 05:52 PM

Day two is done and I will go back for a little while tomorrow morning. I bypass all the TR tables and never felt like there was not enough US stuff. I walk faster than most and each day it took me the entire show time to walk through once. But even walking through a second time today, as I will again tomorrow, dealers keep adding more items to the tables (you have to since so much sells!). As some have talked about prices, you can tell right away the TR, as well as US tables, that are set up as museums with prices (or no prices, which is a red flag to me) versus the dealers looking to make money and move items.

Here are the "Smaller" finds so far as a teaser shot. I also picked up a very interesting Vietnam Navy Pilot POW grouping, some great Generals uniforms, a couple amazing CBI groupings, overseas cap collection, dog tag collection, and more, and more...

Sorry, no photos of the show itself, hopefully others will post as I saw a lot of people taking some with cameras.

Attached Images

• DSCN5320.JPG

#40 Got da Penny

Got da Penny
  • Members
    • Member ID: 633
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:07 PM

I have had the pleasure of seeing fellow forum members
some who have stopped by my booth and others in the hall.
It is always a feeling of fellowship when I get to talk one on
one to members of this forum in person.
I really enjoy hearing about everyone's latest find
and or what is on the "want list" !
It stinks that there is not more time to converse
and share many more stories about our collecting
passion and what deals were scored.
I trully appreciate seeing each and everyone of you
guys whom I have had time to chat with.
wishing all the members good hunting and safe travels.

CS

#41 Baron3-6

Baron3-6
  • Members
    • Member ID: 83,679
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 06:37 PM

The guys back in the "new" section - over in the smaller back corner seem willing to deal and sell, the other end of the building is quite dead.

You can tell the economy is bad by the number of extremely poor put-together uniforms showing up. Some are just pathetic. There is a rack of WWII USMC Dress that have modern, merrowed edge Mar Div patches added....I mean c'mon if you're going to try and screw a fellow collector put a tiny bit of effort in!  However, I must say it is entertaining!

#42 Sparty On

Sparty On
  • Members
    • Member ID: 104,736
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:21 PM

Here's a nice A2 jacket that was probably my favorite of the show...front.

Attached Images

• photo 2.JPG

#43 Sparty On

Sparty On
  • Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:22 PM

Reverse side

Attached Images

• photo 1.JPG

#44 Sparty On

Sparty On
  • Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

One of two Polar Bear Tunics.  Went back to check on this one on the way out and it was sold.

Attached Images

• photo 5.JPG

#45 doinworkinvans

doinworkinvans
  • VOLUNTEERS
    • Member ID: 96,964
  • 4,475 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:27 PM

Freaking awesome pics guys!!! Can't wait to see more and get all the info on the pickups!!

#46 Sparty On

Sparty On
  • Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:32 PM

Nice WW1 78th camo

Attached Images

• photo 4.JPG

#47 Sparty On

Sparty On
  • Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:35 PM

US Navy helmet with D-Day markings for a mere $5500.  Sorry the pic is little blurry.

Attached Images

• photo 6.JPG

Edited by Sparty On, 28 February 2014 - 07:35 PM.

#48 Sparty On

Sparty On
  • Members
  • 1,544 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 07:43 PM

The best photo for last.  This is Edgar Harrell 1 of only 317 veterans who survived the sinking of the U.S.S. Indianapolis.

Attached Images

• photo 3.JPG

#49 Timberwolf

Timberwolf
  • Members
    • Member ID: 19,184
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:14 PM

The best photo for last.  This is Edgar Harrell 1 of only 317 veterans who survived the sinking of the U.S.S. Indianapolis.

I think that was one of my high school teacher's uncles!

#50 Bugme

Bugme

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,726
  • 15,255 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 09:09 PM

The TR stuff was down from previous years, I don't know about the economy complaints and stuff being slow, my sales were great! I got some awesome items and am coming home with more money than I went with so, I'm pleased. As for photo's, I just plain forgot to take some today. I was busy looking at all the awesome stuff! Let me say what we've said for years: The SOS has got to be experienced, it cannot be explained. Photo's do NOT do it justice!

Edited by Bugme, 28 February 2014 - 09:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users