]This weekend I was fortunate to purchase a very scarce feedbag. According to my research this feedbag was issued for approximately 1 1/2- 2 years. It was issued after the M1885-1904 feedbag and before the M1912 bag. It is similar in style to the '04 bag with a few obvious differences. It is made of a lighter weight kaki canvas than the '04, it is slightly smaller in size, the neck strap is made of canvas with grommets over the adjusting holes as apposed to the leather neck strap on the '04. The leather bottom is made up of 2 thicknesses of flat circular leather. The base of the '04 bag is a single layer of leather in the shape of a cup. The bottom of the base is stamped R.I.A. 1910, and inspection stamp E.E.B. In my 45 years of collecting this is only the third I've ever seen. I own this, and one other, the third being in a Pennsylvania collection. All are dated 1910.

George.

post-2782-0-81208900-1393365984.jpg

post-2782-0-81208900-1393365984.jpg

post-2782-0-90944100-1393366164.jpg

I just realized I posted this item to the wrong era. Since it is post Philippine Insurrection but pre WW1. I'm not sure where it belongs. If it needs to be moved please do so, sorry.

George.

US Victory Museum

George:

That's the type I thought I was buying when I purchased the one I wrote to you about. I failed to make the

distinction with the carry strap. Because producers began making a new pattern in 1917 (the square

type usually found on Ebay) I though the one I was getting was actually an older one, like yours, and

not and old pattern that was still being made in WWI.

Yours is very nice and without leather rot.

You only need one last item to complete your displays: See if some company in China can cheaply

freeze dry or plasticize a dead horse. :D

This is the nosebag that is described in the May 10, 1905 "Horse Equipments and Equipments for Officers and Enlisted Men" (revised July 3, 1908). If the other common nosebag is the 1904 model, I wonder if this bag is one of the items revised in 1908.

What did the next earlier nosebag look like? (Would that have been from the 1885 equipments?)

Thank you both for your responses. A few years back I came close to buying a full size fiber glass horse. Unfortunately my wife didn't think it was such a good idea.

As to the feedbag. There was an earlier version by about 2-3 years. It was identical to mine except instead of having a double layer of leather on the bottom it had a double layer of canvas sewn to the bottom. It is pictured and described in the manual "HORSE EQUIPMENTS and EQUIPMENTS for OFFICERS AND ENLISTED MEN" May 10, 1905. In fact it was pictured and discussed on this website a few years back. If you Google "M1901 cavalry feedbag", images and click on the feedbag with the crossed cannons it will bring up the post with more pictures and discussion.

Best, George.