WW1 Infantry Regiment Confusion

xtremex

Hey all,

I've been researching my family genealogy, and more recently, Grandpa's stint in the US Army.

Some information led me to believe he was in the 52nd Infantry Regiment. Right off the bat, up pops Wikipedia and an article describing the 52nd's attachment to the 6th Division. I've been reading articles for days about the sight-seeing Sixth and their adventures.

Then, just hours ago, I discovered that Grandpa was with the 52nd Pioneer Infantry. This seems to be a totally different Regiment. Can someone verify this?

Thanks,

xtremex

Yes, a completely different and separate unit.

52nd Pioneer Infantry organized Jan 1918 at Camp Wadsworth, SC. To Camp Merritt, NJ July 1918 and to Port of Embarkation August 1918. Overseas from August 1918 to April 1919. Demobilized at Camp Dix, NJ April 1919. The 52nd Pioneer Infantry were Corps troops.They seem to have been assigned to V Corps.

xtremex,

Yes, they were two separate and distinct regiments. The 52nd Infantry Regiment was allocated to the regular army and indeed was assigned to the 6th Division in WWI. The 52nd Pioneer Infantry Regiment was a separate formation. There is a book about them: 52nd Pioneer Infantry, France, 1918-1919 by Frank F.Farrell which was published in 1919. It might give you some information on your grandpa.

This is a quote from The Story of The First Pioneer Infantry by Chester W.Davis (1919), page 7:

"The American General Staff late in 1917 decided to form a number of infantry regiments to be attached to the headquarters of the armies and army corps then in process of formation and to call these "corps and army" troops "Pioneer Infantry." Infantry regiments had always been attached to corps and army headquarters -and as has been shown, it was a logical step to call them pioneers. The regiments could be used for such special work as the Army or Corps commander might direct, trained and armed for construction or combat, and instantly available in any emergency without destroying the tactical solidarity of the divisions. What these emergencies were and how this particular regiment was employed in meeting them during three great offensives and as an important part of an invading army will be later described."
I'll dig around and see if I have anything specific about the 52nd Pioneer Infantry.
Dennis

Yes, a completely different and separate unit.

52nd Pioneer Infantry organized Jan 1918 at Camp Wadsworth, SC. To Camp Merritt, NJ July 1918 and to Port of Embarkation August 1918. Overseas from August 1918 to April 1919. Demobilized at Camp Dix, NJ April 1919. The 52nd Pioneer Infantry were Corps troops.They seem to have been assigned to V Corps.

I believe the 52nd Pioneer Infantry was directly under First Army from its arrival until Sept 17 (or maybe 16) 1918 then transferred to V Corps as atb says for the Meuse-Argonne Offensive and German occupation until sent home. This is what I can glean from Volume 1 of the Order of Battle of US Land Forces in the World War.

Thanks for the info everyone. I'm on probationary posting restrictions; I couldn't post again until recently. I think I can only post once more until approved.

" There is a book about them: 52nd Pioneer Infantry, France, 1918-1919 by Frank F.Farrell which was published in 1919. It might give you some information on your grandpa... "

I can't find this book anywhere. Amazon lists it as unavailable, but that's just one of their advertising ploys.
Googlebooks lists it as 2 pages?
Does anyone have a copy I can buy/borrow/read? I'm also looking for the correct collar disc, but I'll post a wanted ad when I'm off of probation.
Thanks,
xtremex

I think there was only one edition of the book and it was published in 1919. It will have been a very limited run so it will be difficult to find. As far as I know, no one has done an e-version. The collectors and used/rare book markets are probably the only sources for the book.

I believe the 52nd Pioneer Infantry was directly under First Army from its arrival until Sept 17 (or maybe 16) 1918 then transferred to V Corps as atb says for the Meuse-Argonne Offensive and German occupation until sent home. This is what I can glean from Volume 1 of the Order of Battle of US Land Forces in the World War.

Xtremex---here's the good news and the bad news---the 52nd was not in the occupation of Germany---they stayed in France and then returned to the states in April 1919 and were demobilized at Camp Dix---it's bad news because the PI units that went to Germany with the 3rd Army are really well documented---the 52nd originally started as the 12th NY Infantry and were formed at Camp Wadsworth---just not a lot of info on the 52nd out there.

regards and good hunting---try some of the upstate NY sources and work the 12th NY angle.

Al