D-Day Paratrooper Groupings

cperkins501

Another view of the same shot.

Its not impossible due to the hectic nature of the para drops on D-Day that a 326th guy could have dropped near Turqueville even though the 326th planned to drop farther south near St Come Du Mont in the 506th sector.

post-117117-0-28594300-1462449680.jpg

Also if you look at the pictures you can see that the censor has blanked out what looks more like a 501st diamond on the helmet rather than and engineer E.

Here are four different zoomed in versions of the same photo showing the helmet tac marking.

post-117117-0-24308300-1462451555.jpg

post-117117-0-85678500-1462451556.jpg

post-117117-0-51478200-1462451558.jpg

post-117117-0-07422400-1462451748.jpg

That is true, sorry I meant to write that this has also been IDed as a 501st trooper in some pics but yes you are correct. my mistake.

I was wrong with the location, France is where the photo was taken for sure. He(John Kutz Sr.) did jump in Holland as well. That was in September of '44. It is a great possibility that my family was all told the wrong story!

Jeeper704

It's for sure a spade that's been partially blanked out.

The paratrooper is positively identified as being Wilbur Shanklin.

Riedia; maybe your family had a similar photo taken at another location or so?

And with all these years passing, it is not surprising that stories get mixed up unintentionally.

Erwin

PS: Nice photo from Photofinder btw; showing GIs from the 4th ID.

cperkins510

Here is another of mine. This trooper served with HQ/507 PIR, made the Normandy drop, and was made a POW about June 9th, 1944.

post-158432-0-16812600-1462945243.jpg

Thought I would post up another ongoing research project to a D-Day vet and true hero. This jacket is named to SGT Mike Martin from Olean NY, who served in Co. I 501st PIR. Although it is not reflected in his ribbon bar, Martin was highly decorated, eventually earning the Silver Star, Bronze Star w/ OL and PH w/ OL. There is an interesting sequence of events surrounding his awards which shows why research can be so illuminating. Martin did Normandy and Holland, but was severely wounded at Bastogne on 19 December 1944. Martin and the rest of his company were engaged in a massive struggle to hold the small town of Wardin when he was wounded. He and his fellow troopers had the misfortune of being some of the first US troops to encounter the German King Tiger tank. Martin was awarded the Silver Star for his actions at Wardin, but was severely wounded in the thigh during the engagement. He was evacuated to England where he spent over 100 days in the hospital, effectively ending the war for him. Its unclear whether he rejoined the 501st prior to their return to the US, or whether he came home separately, and it is possible that he never knew about his additional awards. Martin was a pre war professional regular Army soldier, and appears to have "shipped over" in to the post war RA, at least for a period of time. I mentioned his awards. Although the SSM and one PH were earned in December 1944, they weren't awarded to him until April 1945, presumably when he left the hospital. Martin's Bronze Star (one for Holland, and another for meritorious service) weren't awarded until July 0f 1945, and his last award to be awarded was a second PH...for D-Day. The jacket has a rare set of brit made wings on a later war 501 oval, and the 101st patch is one of the scarce white tongued versions.

post-110-0-52274100-1463575297.jpg

Martin's wings and ribbon bar are Brit made. The devices represent Normandy and Holland. He was wounded and evacuated on almost the first day of the Ardennes campaign and he missed Central Europe because he was recuperating in England. I feel that he never returned to the 101st, instead staying in England on light duty after being released from the hospital. Unfortunately his record isn't complete enough to ever know....

post-110-0-78310400-1463577366.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is another one. It is small, but very powerful. I acquired it from the vet's daughter in Missouri. He served in Company C, 501st PIR, 101st Airborne. He was wounded in Normandy, but returned to duty. He jumped in Market Garden, and served at the bulge. He was severely wounded at Bastogne and sent home. He suffered life long disability from his wounds, requiring a steel plate in his skull among other things. The best part is the paper. In the yard long photo he is standing upper left, and his platoon mates signed the reverse.

post-110-0-20778000-1472983332_thumb.jpg

Thanks! Here is another D-Day vet group I was able to acquire at the SOS last spring (thanks in part to a fellow forum member :)). Also in the 501st, he served all the way thru...D-Day to VE Day. Wounded in Holland and a Bronze Star on top of that. The distinctive sewing, metal overseas bars and hand vaulted collar brass are visible in the period pics. The jacket also has the buttons removed, replaced by the zipper from an M42 jump jacket. The zipper is just visible in the picture of him on the bar stool. The wings have his name scratched on the back and two stars for Normandy and Holland. The GEMSCO plastic 501 DUIs are very hard to find. His early dog tags and patched shirt are also in the group. One of the tags has a leather cover sewn over it to reduce noise. I like to think he wore these on June 5/6 1944. The pocket patch was also his, acquired after the uniform from another collector.

post-110-0-03588700-1472995196_thumb.jpg