Last flight of the Sugar Blues, Feb 22, 1944

willysmb44

70 years ago, a friend of mine helped ditch the 91st BG B-17 named "Sugar Blues" into the North Sea.
Another of the crew did a good job telling the story here in 1995: http://www.91stbombgroup.com/91st_tales/81_last_flight_sugar_blues.pdf
A site with the raw data can be found here: http://www.usaaf-noseart.co.uk/misslist-37939.htm

CrewJacket.jpg
One thing he left out of the narrative was Peter had the flare gun from a raft that was dropped to them by a RAF ASR bird. They saw two lights coming toward them from opposite sides of the Channel. One was a Brit ASR boat, the other was probably a German E boat. The Brits got there first, thankfully and Peter told me he fired a flare, which landed right on the deck of the ASR boat. Years later, he gave me that very flare gun (and a safety pin pulled from a bomb on that very mission), which I treasure today:
FlareGun.jpg
Mr Delo was actually hit in the back of the head by a belt of .50 caliber ammo from the top turret. He couldn't see anything soon afterward for a while. He eventually got his sight back, but the USAAF decided it was best to send him home, the classic million dollar wound. He wound up flying aerial gunnery P-39s at Las Vegas and stayed in the national guard, becoming a fighter pilot. He ditched again, in a P-47 in Baltimore harbor in 1950. Thankfully, he only got wet that time.
My friend Peter Delo 'went West' in 1999. He was a very good man and I consider myself very fortunate to have known him. God speed, Pete!
SugarBlues.jpg

That's an amazing story Lee, thanks for sharing it. Those two items are truly special and a great tribute to your friend.

I'm not far from Bassingbourn so the 91st is one of those groups I'm always eager to learn more about.

Tom.

Do you know if they recovered the P-47 out of the harbor ?

They pulled it out right after he ditched it, I saw a newspaper story he showed me, showing them pulling it out of the water. The serial # for the Jug was 44-90408, and it crashed into Baltimore harbor on 22 April, 1950.

• 1 year later...