White mess dress infantry (sergeant) experimental version 1930s

Jamecharles

Hi all

i wanna show you this strange White mess dress, infantry branch with rank of sergeant.

I'm not totally sure about this one in my opinion is an experimental version of late 1930s, probably just between 1937 and 1938, period of changes and of various ''test'' regarding those kind of uniform.

For sure is totally unusual for many reason:

first of all becouse, for what i know, no mess dress were autorized for enlisted men between 1937 to late 1940s

second the cut is different from the common mess dress uniform, this one is duble breast closure and have the shoulder knot in light blue color just like the ranks and shoulder cord, well to be honest i've already saw those kind of shoulder knot in AAF/AAC colors here on the forum but i'm not able to spot them in the old topics, i remember them very well, if someone can help me in find them will be great.

i say experimental becouse i've another enlisted men mess dress and is less tawdry than this, to be more specify it have the same cut of the classic offficer white mess dress but without cuff braids and with 2 seample loops on the shoulders of the same material of the jacket.

Please tell your opinion about and if you have some other example or original photos please reply down here, Thanks to all who can contribute with some news or simply with your comment.

Giancarlo

post-770-0-74328000-1392850256.jpg

Captainofthe7th

Ah! I'm glad you got this one Giancarlo…this was on ebay, no? I was watching this out of curiosity, if I remember it went for a seemingly low price for what I thought it might be. A very interesting uniform indeed…I wish we knew more about it. I hope someone has some knowledge to share!

Rob

That's a new one on me. I like it. Perhaps some old vintage photos of a FDR era State Dinner at the White House would show something. (That's my guess as to what it might be related to - some sort of US Army mess steward assigned to the White House.)

I think KurtA has the right idea, it looks like an "Army-ized" waiter's jacket. My best guess would be that it was something paid for with local funds for soldiers working in an officer's club at some post, or even something like the White House as Kurt said, but nothing official or even an official experiment. Very interesting anyway, thanks for posting!

Justin B.

• 7 months later...

looking around i've found something similar but in blue dress version, with epaulette in light blue sewn on shoulders, it could be for the military band

post-770-0-10280300-1413706720.jpg