• This topic is locked This topic is locked
133 replies to this topic

#51 Austin_Militaria

Austin_Militaria
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,578
  • 781 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:05 AM

Brig, I had 2 rieker mounts filled with WWI - WWII EGA's last SOS. No one looked at a single one.

#52 Baron3-6

Baron3-6
  • Members
    • Member ID: 83,679
  • 1,571 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:08 AM

For those going I just posted some bulky WWII AAF/Navy camera  gear that can be delivered to the show and save some serious shipping:

http://www.usmilitar...haul-to-sos-14/

#53 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,943 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:30 AM

Brig, I had 2 rieker mounts filled with WWI - WWII EGA's last SOS. No one looked at a single one.

what's wrong with USMC collectors these days? I'd've flipped every one of them to see the markings

#54 irish

irish
  • Members
    • Member ID: 758
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 10:52 AM

what's wrong with USMC collectors these days? I'd've flipped every one of them to see the markings

I feel there is so much to look at the SOS a person can lose their focus. For those that can stay on message and stay on track their a great buys to be had. Even if you buy nothing the experience of the show is worth it. IMO

#55 Brig

Brig

SENIOR MODERATOR

• Senior Moderators
    • Member ID: 22
  • 21,943 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:01 AM

I hear the hotel bar at nights of the SoS is worth it  :D

#56 irish

irish
  • Members
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:04 AM

I hear the hotel bar at nights of the SoS is worth it  :D

Yes but the bar tab can cut into your spending money if not careful. It is truly a good time even if you buy nothing. It Is 3 to 4 days of nothing but militaria with like minded souls

#57 seabee oef

seabee oef
  • Members
    • Member ID: 22,284
  • 116 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 02:09 PM

I got my trip all booked up for this year. This will be my 2nd show of shows. Going to stop at Fort Campbell for 2 days before the show and go to the 101st museum, 160th SOAR gift shop and hit all the surplus shows around that area. If you are making the drive from Texas I highly recommend stopping by the 101st Museum in Fort Campbell and then stopping at the General George Patton Museum in Fort Knox if you have time. Hopefully you guys will bring some OIF/OEF related gear and challenge coins. I know last year there was slim pickings for OIF/OEF gear and it seems most of the challenge coins where picked up before I got to the tables but overall the show had great stuff and I defiantly learned a whole lot of knowledge about other eras of militaria. Really enjoyed myself and cant wait to do it again this year. See you all soon...

#58 pathfinder505

pathfinder505
  • Members
    • Member ID: 197
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:43 PM

Where is 160th SOAR gift shop? I havent seen it.  Also, i have been told the Patton Museum has been packed up and moved to Ft. Benning.

#59 Jack's Son

Jack's Son

Deceased

• IN MEMORIAM
    • Member ID: 8,213
  • 19,660 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:00 PM

I wish all of you guys well, have a safe and profitable trip!!

Edited by Jack's Son, 01 February 2014 - 06:00 PM.

#60 irish

irish
  • Members
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 06:03 PM

Where is 160th SOAR gift shop? I havent seen it.  Also, i have been told the Patton Museum has been packed up and moved to Ft. Benning.

Patton Museum is still at Ft. Knox.

#61 zotig111

zotig111
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,230
  • 955 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:35 PM

Yes but the bar tab can cut into your spending money if not careful. It is truly a good time even if you buy nothing. It Is 3 to 4 days of nothing but militaria with like minded souls

That's why the sgtdorango after show helmet party is so good. It's BYOB but there is always extra oat sodas available. Plus you get to geek out on the helmets found during the day... :lol:

#62 pathfinder505

pathfinder505
  • Members
    • Member ID: 197
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:15 AM

Patton Museum is still at Ft. Knox.

Thanks for the info.

I went to the website for the museum and found the following:

Where are the tanks and other vehicles?

Not all the tanks moved to Fort Benning, GA with the relocation of the former cavalry and armor museum. In fact, the pace of transformation of the new General George Patton Museum of Leadership at Fort Knox is increasing. Several pieces of historic armor and other vehicles formerly displayed inside and in front of the museum are undergoing extensive restoration and will return to the Patton Museum.

These vehicles include the M7 'Priest' self-propelled 105mm howitzer; M10 tank destroyer and 'Easy-8' Sherman. Soldiers of the 19th Engineer Battalion, assisted by Soldiers from HQ, US Army Cadet Command, transported these vehicles to the restoration motor pool last December, where they are will be repainted using historic colors and markings.

They will return to the museum as part of permanent indoor exhibits. According to museum director Chris Kolakowski, this important work will be completed by late summer 2012. "This is a very visible and important project," he added. "We know that the public is very interested in the museum's vehicle collection. This is a tangible way for people to know that the link between Ft. Knox and the history of armor remains an important consideration for the museum. At the same time, these armored vehicles will support our new focus on Army leadership.

Also found the museum was closed for a while and reopened April 1, 2011. 

#63 irish

irish
  • Members
  • 2,447 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 08:23 AM

Undergoing changes, that is good.  Went through it a number of years ago and was quite impressed, thanks for the update

#64 zippy144

zippy144
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,730
  • 558 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 10:03 AM

Hi

Well it is official i will be making the trip across the atlantic...

It will be my first visit to the SOS, so i am really excited.

Regards

Tom

#65 1canpara

1canpara
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,167
  • 3,714 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 09:56 AM

Hi

Well it is official i will be making the trip across the atlantic...

It will be my first visit to the SOS, so i am really excited.

Regards

Tom

Hey Tom, that's fantastic news! You're going to be amazed and in awe of just how large this show is! When I walked into the convention hall for the first time a few years ago, I couldn't believe my eyes and I just didn't know where to start!

Fortunately I'm 6' 4" and can see over a lot of tables and spot things I'm looking for from a distance! :)

Maybe I'll bring a small aerial drone this year so I can do some recon from 30 feet up! :)

Anyway, have a safe trip over and be sure to stop by our table, (row BB tables 40-42) and say hi to Tom, Mike and I.

See you there!

Rick

#66 zippy144

zippy144
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,730
  • 558 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:27 AM

Hi

I can assure you i cannot wait. I will attempt to remember to say hello to a few people.

I will be wondering around wearing Overlord Collection T-shirts, so feel free to stop me.

Regards

Tom

#67 Mr.Jerry

Mr.Jerry

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 119
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:53 AM

What time Wednesday can dealers pick up thier packets and the 2 load in badges?

Are they still doing that?

I missed it last year by 15 min...

#68 Nick

Nick
  • Members
    • Member ID: 421
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:09 AM

Yes JERRY, bring BEER. Last year I got mine at 2

Edited by Nick, 11 February 2014 - 11:11 AM.

#69 BEAST

BEAST
  • Members
    • Member ID: 203
  • 10,328 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

Will the guest veterans be there Thursday?  Just mailed off my membership dues ( I know, should have done it earlier).  Hopefully everything will be processed in time.

#70 Got da Penny

Got da Penny
  • Members
    • Member ID: 633
  • 4,311 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 03:58 PM

Jerry, I am told you can get in LINE about 11am .... and you have until 2pm to get your packets. then they will let people in at 5pm to 830pm to get unloaded and set up.

Carey

PS, I will be a helper with a WED setup badge again this year :)

Edited by Got da Penny, 11 February 2014 - 03:59 PM.

#71 Mr.Jerry

Mr.Jerry

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 119
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 06:20 PM

Thanks I JUST got my packet with all of the info today!!  Dealer packet pick up from 1-6pm  Hall opens at 5-8 for load in.

We lose an hour with the time zone so that messed us up last time.

And sorry Nick, I am on the wagon...

(The BEER WAGON!!!)

#72 zotig111

zotig111
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,230
  • 955 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 06:29 AM

Be VERY careful, shopping Wednesday night can be painful for your budget! It's no fun to go broke on day one! It can be good for the rest of you as discounts are available to help me restock the hobby fund on Thursday!

#73 blitzkrieg gsd

blitzkrieg gsd
  • Members
    • Member ID: 10,550
  • 1,106 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 01:32 PM

Glad to see so many are going again this year looks like it will be great as always. If anyone needs something a local guy may be able to help with feel free to PM me. Being born and raised in Louisville I'm sure I can answer questions or give some recomondations for anything you mite need or want to know about.

#74 vintageproductions

vintageproductions

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 492
  • 16,132 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:45 AM

I believe someone asked what guests would be at the SOS this year, here's a link to their page saying who's coming.

http://www.sosovms.c...Honored-Guests/

#75 trenchbuff

trenchbuff
  • Members
    • Member ID: 944
  • 2,391 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 01:13 PM

I believe someone asked what guests would be at the SOS this year, here's a link to their page saying who's coming.

http://www.sosovms.c...Honored-Guests/

Thanks Bob!  What a wonderful group of heroes we'll have the honor to meet this year.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users