USMC XM64 & M67 Pack Systems

craig_pickrall

craig_pickrall

This is the USMC experimental XM1964 Pack. It closely resembles the Army Lightweight Tropical Rucksack. It is made of nylon. This pack became the M1967 Pack and was a production / issue item but in limited quantities.

post-5-1211317104.jpg

post-5-1211317109.jpg

post-5-1211317114.jpg

post-5-1211317119.jpg

craig_pickrall

This is the M1967 Pack System derived from the XM64.

post-5-1211317251.jpg

post-5-1211317257.jpg

post-5-1211317263.jpg

post-5-1211317269.jpg

• 4 months later...
Greg Robinson
Now, that's crazy! :blink:

YEP!!!!!!! I see those as being on the "unobtainable" list unless you just happen to luck on to one at an army surplus store and chances of that are slim and none. :D I own an M1967 pack but long ago resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't ever be able to complete it with the suspenders. Also, there was a lower pack that went with this system. VERY rare.

YEP!!!!!!! I see those as being on the "unobtainable" list unless you just happen to luck on to one at an army surplus store and chances of that are slim and none. :D I own an M1967 pack but long ago resigned myself to the fact that I wouldn't ever be able to complete it with the suspenders. Also, there was a lower pack that went with this system. VERY rare.

Its very rare stuff like that, that makes me want to give up ww2 100% and start hunting for Rare Vietnam stuff.

Greg Robinson
Actually I don't think rare USMC suspenders are necessary. You still could connect pack to army one.

Army M1967 suspenders are missing the snaps that secure the USMC pack. The main issue for me is you don't have a complete serviceable pack without the suspenders and that's annoying.

Greg

craig_pickrall

The pack will hook to the army M67 suspenders with no problem. You can add the snaps at the back if desired too. That does assist in keeping the pack in correct position when worn. If you displayed it then there is only about a 1 in 100,000 chance that someone would question the setup. The quick release buckles are the most noticable feature that would be missing.

As far as using the bag, I have been carrying one of these with a Universal Sling as my show bag for the last 20 years. Amazingly there is no obvious wear to the bag after all this time. It still looks new.

The pack will hook to the army M67 suspenders with no problem. You can add the snaps at the back if desired too. That does assist in keeping the pack in correct position when worn. If you displayed it then there is only about a 1 in 100,000 chance that someone would question the setup. The quick release buckles are the most noticable feature that would be missing.

As far as using the bag, I have been carrying one of these with a Universal Sling as my show bag for the last 20 years. Amazingly there is no obvious wear to the bag after all this time. It still looks new.

Yeah, that's I want to do. I plan on using army one with this pack for just display and would look cool. But I wouldn't add snaps on it because I like everything to be original. Maybe one day I would get lucky when I find USMC suspends for good deal.

For some reason, I feel like M1967 is much more advancer than LC-2 (ALICE) webgear.

Army M1967 suspenders are missing the snaps that secure the USMC pack. The main issue for me is you don't have a complete serviceable pack without the suspenders and that's annoying.

Greg

Hahaha, yes, its very annoying.

craig_pickrall

Do you mean more collectible? Remember the M67 gear was produced in realitively low quantities and never widely issued. The ALICE LCE 1 gear flooded the market in huge quantities and not long after came LC2 to correct the problems with LC1. LC1 and 2 never has been real collectible but maybe that will change soon.

Greg Robinson

I usually don't have any interest in modern militaria. To me "modern" is any time period occuring after I became an adult so I generally cut it off after the mid '60's which pretty much eliminates the Viet Nam era. But for some reason I like the USMC M1967 so when I found a great deal on an unissued example I bought it. Then when I learned that the suspenders were impossible to find I sold the pack. But a few months ago I found a second one, not mint this time but still very nice, and the price was right. This time I accepted that I'll likely never have the complete USMC M1967 pack system.

Remember the time when World War II stuff were "modern" surplus for so cheap just like LC2 stuff. Collectors keep wishing they bought stuff from that time.

Remember the time when World War II stuff were "modern" surplus for so cheap just like LC2 stuff. Collectors keep wishing they bought stuff from that time.

Yeah but back then the stuff looked cool as hell!, Now its all nylon BS and no one likes that! yucky.gif

A set of those Suspenders sold on ebay for over $500.00 US, So good luck!

Does anyone remember that? I think Forum_Support, look at Screen Shot of the ebay page of the sell..? anyone know where it is? think.gif

Yeah but back then the stuff looked cool as hell!, Now its all nylon BS and no one likes that! yucky.gif

Yes, I agree with you, Nylon stuff sucks but with expectation for M1967! :lol:

I actually save some of LBV and LC2 stuff for "just in case".

• 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...

I seem to recall some of my fellow reservists were issued the USMC M1967 suspenders at F 2/25 New Rochelle, New York c. 1983. The gear at that time was a hodgepodge. I got a folding E-tool in a plastic case but most Marines received the old wooden handle E-tool with M1943 case. Many canteen covers had the old style hooks. Pistol holsters were often brown. I have never seen a M1967 pack. I was issued an USMC M1967 rump pack when teaching tactics at The Basic School in 1998. I still have it.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk