USMC WW2 combat grouping

MCDUFF

Outstand group. I think it's the best group of unit marked combat gear to one man I've ever seen, and as Kurt noted, it's an officer to boot. Most excellent!!

Steve

Thank you Steve, that is a huge complement. Cheers, Graham

That is AWESOME!

Love all the matching named and UNIS marked equipment.

I think you'll be in the running for best WWII Marine mannequin, a serious challenge on this forum, but most of us don't get all the same gear marked to the same Marine.

-Steve

Thanks Steve for your complements! It is amazing how it has all remained together, and shall do so all the time I am the keeper! Cheers, Graham

Oh WOW that is one of the best groupings I have seen! And even better the equipment and P41s are UNIS marked. I like the picture of the company? too. Outstanding helmet also.

-Dave

Ditto! I could pour over the photos for an hour. congrats on the group

Oh WOW that is one of the best groupings I have seen! And even better the equipment and P41s are UNIS marked. I like the picture of the company? too. Outstanding helmet also.

-Dave

That is an amazing complement Dave, thank you. I am so pleased I have posted this for everyones enjoyment! I am still hungry for more research on him..!

Do any of you knife - KA Bar/ Camillus experts know the significance of the painted green band around the handle? Is it his personal preference to identify it, or any other reason? Thank you!

post-20528-0-37943300-1392756538.jpgpost-20528-0-69248300-1392756552.jpgpost-20528-0-94289200-1392756566.jpg

Hard to say about the green paint. Maybe for personal ID or just something that got on it! However, wonderful grouping and a great example for display!

Cheers,

Mike

I'm not sure what the green marking is on the Camillus but could you tell me if there are any markings on the pistol belt?

Hi, I enclose a couple of photos. It is a USMC issue belt, with the USMC ink stamp on the rear (just visible between the sheath and pouch), and his name stencil also. If you want a clearer photo please let me know. Thanks Grahampost-20528-0-25938800-1392813557.jpgpost-20528-0-86311700-1392813567.jpg

Love love love love this stuff! 14th Marines, my old unit, makes it extra special for me! Great great find!

Semper Fi

Cool! You sound very proud, so I'm glad to showcase the 14th for you!

I am still trying to pinpoint his movements after the Marshalls, if you have any records that can help??

Many thanks Graham

I'm blown away by the bring back flag. You see those somewhat often, but this one has the wear and tear that really shows it was there at Saipan or Iwo. It might be interesting to get the kanji writing translated, so you can see what the flag says. My grandfather brought back a similar flag and had it translated. It said a bunch of stuff about "death to the Americans." Really brought home the intense feelings shared by these two opponents in the pacific.

I'm blown away by the bring back flag. You see those somewhat often, but this one has the wear and tear that really shows it was there at Saipan or Iwo. It might be interesting to get the kanji writing translated, so you can see what the flag says. My grandfather brought back a similar flag and had it translated. It said a bunch of stuff about "death to the Americans." Really brought home the intense feelings shared by these two opponents in the pacific.

Hello and thank you for the comments. It is a haunting object, and who knows what it went through. You have prompted me to investigate this further. I enclose a clearer photo and hope to report back soon...

Thanks, Grahampost-20528-0-20666200-1393100463.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Graham! Wow, it is one of the biggest grouping I have ever seen! His combat gear is amazing. Thanks for photos!

Regards,

Jerry

Hi Graham! Wow, it is one of the biggest grouping I have ever seen! His combat gear is amazing. Thanks for photos!

Regards,

Jerry

Hi Jerry! Thanks for the comments! I have sent off for his records and should hear back next week. I am also getting the Japanese flag translated.... Will report back as soon as possible!

Cheers, Graham

Hi Jerry! Thanks for the comments! I have sent off for his records and should hear back next week. I am also getting the Japanese flag translated.... Will report back as soon as possible!

Cheers, Graham

Very cool :)! Let us know about it!

Cheers,

Jerry

I am delighted to share that the research documents have come back from Geoff of Golden Arrow Research. The paperwork is amazing!

It confirms some of the information I have, and also fills in a lot of gaps.

He joined the Marines as a private in 1942, and was quickly commissioned, which I didn’t know!

He served in the 3rd Battalion, 14th Marines, 4th Marine Division, FMF.

He was with “H&S” Battery as a BN4 taking part at Roi and Namur, Saipan and Tinian.

He was with “I” Battery as a forward observer on Iwo Jima. I suspected this, and it is now confirmed!

I will post some of the documents once I get them sorted. Truly fascinating, and helps to keep the memory of this Marine alive!

I am still awaiting the translation of the Japanese flag.

Small photo request:

Can I see the 'USMC' stamp on the pistol belt and the maker mark?

A lot of fakes out there lately and I'd like a photo for reference of yours, that I'm sure would be 100% legit :)

Thanks!!!

-Steve