US M1 100th Inf. Div. medic helmet

Hambone

Guys,

Tried to upload pics and could not due to size. The pics are posted at our site but I can't load the URL. This helmet came out of the woodwork. I'm not a painted US M1 guy, but do collect US WW2 and US WW2 helmets, though none are exotic like this. Any help in how to post pics, etc., is appreciated.

Regards,

HB

I've resized and am going to try to upload. If I can't I guess I'm going to have to wait a couple days because I only have one more post after this one until Feb. 15.

post-150775-0-97159400-1392400251.jpg

It won't let me post a link. It's K98k Forum and you can search medic helmet and find it. Maybe when I get more posting rights in a couple days I'll post more up.

• 3 years later...

Paint looks to have a camo repaint over it , one that was typically used in the PTO

The only issues and reserves I have is the cross , the pics are small and I may be wrong but that white outline sure looks white , I normally look for a cream colour that shows discolouration. Also the cross has no overspray , not a deal breaker but it was painted carefully

Better pics will help and as stated I'm only going off of the small pics.

I will reply when the pics arrive with a better opinion

D.C.

I know one original in a collection that has the exact same stencils, I like it. This is end war/immediate postwar/occupation period.

I also bumped it as I plan to add more pics. I understand that detailed pics are required, but if you notice, back then, for whatever reason, I was unable to post them / upload any more than I did, likely due to my post count. I'm well acquainted with camo and overpaint humping, age and artificial aging, etc., of helmets because it has been so prevalent in German helmet collecting at a high level of forgery since no later than the mid-80s. You guys are relatively "new" to it in M1s and I see much of the same tea leaf reading type struggling to come up with "rules" and authentication methods.

I know one original in a collection that has the exact same stencils, I like it. This is end war/immediate postwar/occupation period.

Thanks. I think after I initially posted it here Bugme sent me pics of 100th Div. medics during late WW2 with the same or similar. Where this thing came from no one on the selling side had a clue as to what it was other than an old US helmet, or maybe "pawpaw's old war helmet" much less an interest or capability to hump one, much less for $50 ;) I wish it had a sexy story and a name with posts from the vet's [type of relative here] confirming a cool tale.

This was a pic sent to me back in 2014. Medic in the background. A 100th Div. helmet stencil from another non-medic helmet.

post-150775-0-13618100-1503409744.jpg

post-150775-0-96837500-1503409764_thumb.jpg

I have a photo album from a 100th Division medic, and can confirm that he also wore a Red Cross outlined in white on the front of his helmet. No idea about the 100th Div logo on the side, though, since there aren't any side shots. It's packed away right now, but if I can dig it out I'll try to post a photo in the near future.

BILL THE PATCH

I have the 100th div unit history, ill take a look at it when I get home.

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

Close up of the cross please

I'm limited in pic size, but here are some I just took. What's interesting, I just noticed that this was a 4 cross helmet, with crosses on the sides. The 100th ID stencil was painted over the side crosses at some point.

post-150775-0-26641600-1503426026_thumb.jpg

post-150775-0-47484500-1503426033_thumb.jpg

And gentlemen, thank you for your input and help. It looks like the medic helmets in the period pic are overpainted as well. As Cesar said, this one in hand was clearly overpainted as it had crosses on the side, which appear overpainted, then the 100th Div. insignia painted over those on the side only, with the front and back crosses either left alone or re-applied. It is a well worn helmet for sure. It has the buckle side original web strap but the hook side has the end torn off with strap remaining. It had no liner with it.