Monuments Men Reviews

bobgee

Saw it yesterday. Good entertainment. Overall I give it a 3.5/5. Decent tech mostly. Family level WWII drama. At least it brings some history of the War into the minds of the current generation, See it. Don't expect BoB or SPR. I've ordered the book. Bobgee

let me know if they really do pull the ol' " I've stepped on a and mine- now I must act dramatic before I step off it and it goes boom" chiche.

let me know if they really do pull the ol' " I've stepped on a and mine- now I must act dramatic before I step off it and it goes boom" chiche.

Spoiler Alert: They do. (but thank goodness they have an architect amongst them who knows cantilever beam loading.)

I've closed out the Monuments Men preview thread and have opened this for reviews for people who have seen the movie.

Here is a link to the old thread, which also had some good discussion on it.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/198386-just-saw-this-monuments-men-movie-trailer/

As a matter of interest, do those of you who've seen the movie agree...or disagree...with the opinions / rating expressed here?

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2014/feb/08/monuments-men-review-george-clooney-berlin

I haven't seen the movie yet, but have heard similar criticism that it is a bit "preachy" and short on action.

Why would they even think of taking it to the Berlin Film Festival? Seems a bit insensitive if nothing else. They'd of done better at Caanes.

pathfinder505

Saw the movie last night and it was great. Techincal advisor must have been pretty good. The carbines didnt have bayonet lugs.

"Based on a true story." NOT a historical documentary. This flick, like almost all such films, was made for entertainment and profit. Such events actually happened........just not always the way filmmakers portray them. Film Critics be damned. I liked it and I've ordered the book! Bobgee

teufelhunde.ret

4 out of 10 stars, will not get an Oscar nod, reminds me of the military films of the 70s. Proves the old film directors rule of thumb, there has never been a rotten script a good cast cannot overcome. Like Bobgee, I will read the book, save you money, wait for Direct or netflix to see this...

The story is really quite different from actual history, and hyped up to make it "Hollywoodized."

I still cant believe they did the landmine schtick. How many times must we have to see such nonsense.

I enjoyed it from an entertainment perspective only. I think the subject was a bit too broad to be covered in a single 2 hour movie. I think they tried harder than most to be accurate in their renditions of equipment, vehicles etc, but in the end it was about the story thread and the characters. There were just too many key players in too many different locations for me to get engrossed in the plot.

I found it difficult not to wonder when Bill Murray was going to open his mussette bag and remove a Proton Pack or hand-held PKE Meter and start checking for spirits! He was funny in his own way though.

I was naively hoping for more truth than fiction in the portrayal of the events, but I know its Hollywood.

The mine "schtick" aka COMBAT was too predictable.

PS worth seeing...Yes.

I liked it. Good yes, great no. I am glad I saw it, but I won't be buying it on DVD.

Uniforms and such were pretty good if pretty basic.

I would have liked more backstory on each of the guys and why they were chosen.

I had a little issue with the magical radio that had seeminly unlimited transimit range and worked with german tubes.

And they seemed to be able to travel pretty freely all around France while (at least in the time line of my mind) the germans were still pretty active.

But it was a movie and it may help bring some awareness to the actual history.

I plan on going. I think it important to support well intended movies like this one. It's a putting my money where my mouth is kind of thing. One note on the accuracy, etc.--this type of movie is Edutainment and I am all for Hollywood trying to tell this story.

.....--this type of movie is Edutainment and I am all for Hollywood trying to tell this story.

This is my comment to all events that movies, or news bring to light. So many people just don't know that these events ever occurred.

There was a really well done documentary comparing the original monuments men with those in the film. I think that it was on NatGeo, Saturday. It was a combination of original footage, film shots, interviews with actors, participants, and relatives. I thought it was very well done and it explained the back story as well as who each actor was portraying. Did anyone else see it? Scott

Saw the movie last night and it was great. Techincal advisor must have been pretty good. The carbines didnt have bayonet lugs.

But i do think they had post war rear sights ( Not sure what year those came out) also clooney had a foreign liner