Please Help Identify A Patch: TRIM Vietnam

quack

Does anyone have any idea what this might be? I have had it in the collection since the late 1950s or early 1960s, and have never had any idea. I am not convinced it is U.S., though the guy I got it from said it was.

The patch is woven cloth, not stitched. The edges are not merrowed, but are simply turned down in back and ironed smooth.

Thanks for any thoughts on it.

post-105070-0-00935600-1391885393.jpg

Advisory related 1950's Vietnam. A program called TRIM.

Training Relations and Instruction Mission. There is a pix of the C.G. wearing this SSI during instructional target shooting practice. This was a U.S. advisory mission.

As stated above nice early Indo China item. They all seemed to be chain stitched as shown in your example. A joint U.S/French effort. Nice patch.

Airborne-Hunter

That's a great piece and I second all the above. I've seen less than a handful in 15 years; they're pretty difficult to find. Borrowing from the coin world....this is definitely a "key" piece. Best ABN

Certainly one of the rarest patches of the Vietnam War, the Training Relations and Instruction Mission (TRIM) went into operation on February 12, 1955 and was deactivated on April 28, 1956, when the French withdrew their advisors. This joint Franco-American unit included only 33 US and 28 French officers and enlisted men.

When the French received their metal badges with the same design, they preferred to used it as a pocket hanger, removed their patches from their sleeves and most likely threw them away. The short life and small strength of the mission explains the rarity of this patch. It is the first patch used by U.S. Personnel in Vietnam.

The badge is easier to find and is less expensive.

• 3 months later...
Vietnamgear

Hello, I love your patch.

I happen to be doing a Master's on early US involvement in Vietnam and would like to ask a couple more questions about this and other patches you may have.

If you are happy to help, please drop me a line.

Thank you,

Brett