WWII Maps

cnmeyer

I recently acquired a set of WWII maps. They were made by the war and navy departments in 1944. The set has nine maps total. On the front of the maps are sections of Germany. On the back of some of the maps are maps of England. The back is written completely in German while the front is written in German except for a few parts like who made the map and when the were made and how the go together. I was wondering if anyone knew if these maps were common or rare? Also if anyone knows anything else about them?

• 4 weeks later...

I have some maps somewhat like that. They have German maps of Britain on the back and Michelin maps of Europe on the front. The German maps are trimmed indicating that they were probably recycling the paper and didn't care about the original map on the back. One Michelin map is dated 1944 so was it printed under German occupation or did the Allies decide that Michelin maps would be useful and have French printers producing them after liberation? I have photos but finding where I filed the scans is a problem.

This book describes the various maps available and what information was used to prepare them. They would be copying German maps of Germany and adding legends to translate geographic terms.

post-54142-0-62659000-1394158623.jpg

It is pretty well known that Germany printed up piles of maps of England for a potential invasion in 1940. These were never issued.

When captured by the Allies, the paper was reused and new maps were printed on the back (due to a paper shortage) . So I think (if I understand you correctly) that's probably what you have.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...