Favorite war movie of all time.

David D

A Bridge Too Far, saw it on the big screen as a kid with my WWII vet Grandfather, a memory that will always be great. Scott

• 5 weeks later...

My Favorite is The Pride of the Marines With John Garfield. I saw this movie on television when I was a kid and always liked it

Tom

Gardens of Stone with James Caan, Go Tell the Spartans with Burt Lancaster, and the absolute best of all time, Hambuger Hill.

willysmb44

By the end of this year "Fury" will doubtless be added to the list! ;)

Not if it doesn't have paratroopers in it... ;)

Seriously, though, I overheard some guys talking about 'Fury,' saying that they wished it'd had 101st in it. This Bandwagon of Brothers stuff is some kind of freaking cult, I tells ya!

willysmb44

This time next year tankers will be the flavour of the month...mark my words!

That's what they said with every PTO movie since the 90s and also when 'The Pacific' came out. Yet, USMC/PTO stuff never 'blew up' like everyone thought it would.

SaigonSVFan95

I've seen a great many in my short life, but I would have to say that, when it comes down to it, either "We Were Soldiers" or "Platoon" would be my favorite. I acknowledge that the latter movie is indeed flawed, and in quite a few ways inaccurate, but I find it an enjoyable watch. I find Charlie Sheen's acting really believeable.

willysmb44

I know lots of people didn't like it, but I still believe that 'Jarhead' is actually a one of the most accurate depictions of men in the military on screen ever.

Wow! There are so many great movies out there that asking for ONE is like trying to decide who your favorite kid is. I just can't do it. I'll list a few. "Last of the Mohicans" is one that if my wife knows it is going to be on, she knows that the TV won't be tuned to anything else. The same can be said for "12 O'clock High," "Blackhawk Down" and "The Caine Mutiny." The one that really gets me though is "We Were Soldiers." Having met Hal Moore (who I think was one top notch officer) and having had a cousin in the fight make the movie very personal for me. The best scenes in the movie for me are when the Medivac CO comes charging up to Bruce Crandall screaming about his men having been led into a hot LZ when Crandall pulls his pistol and threatens to shoot him if he ever sees him again. This confrontation kept Crandall from receiving his Medal of Honor for forty years.

If you have the DVD of this movie, the best deleted scene is the church scene. The real Hal Moore is in the second pew! The hymn "My Hope is Built on Nothing Less" was brilliantly used juxtaposed against the helicopters inserting into the Ashau Valley was cinematic GOLD.

Allan

WWIIMilitaria

My favorite war movie would have to be, Kelly's Heroes (1970), starring Clint Eastwood. The dialogue is essential to the film's success, not to mention the action scenes. Kelly's Heroes is a classic.

BigDogMilitaria

Battleground for me. My favorite scene is the scene with the Chaplains speech. Also We Were Soldiers and Best Years of Our Lives

NickDanger

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN for me. I think that movie captured the chaos, randomness and brutality of combat. It took away glamor and romantic notions and to use a quote from the movie showed was as a "God-awful sh!tty mess." I could go on and on about a bunch of nerdy "film" discussion crap but I'll leave that meat and potatoes as my reason. SPR started a whole new benchmark that war movies for years to come will strive to emulate.

I know it's propaganda but I always enjoy Sahara with Bogart. Then there's The Lost Patrol with Victor McLachlen (sp?) and Boris Karloff. And of course Kelly's Heroes is the most quotable WWII movie. I also like What did you do in the War Daddy? So many others...

willysmb44

Blue and Gray is another good series.

Have you watched it lately? I thought it was good way back when it aired, just recently watched it on Netflix. It hasn't aged well at all, IMHO...

Wow...tough to narrow it down to just one, as the OP asked. The first war movie I fell in love with was A Walk In The Sun but if I had to pick just one favorite it would be Breaker Morant. Not only is that my favorite war movie but it's pretty close to the top on my list of favorite movies of all time of any genre.

Manchu Warrior

I know lots of people didn't like it, but I still believe that 'Jarhead' is actually a one of the most accurate depictions of men in the military on screen ever.

I thought "Jarhead" was a great movie because it honestly reminded me of my own experiences while deployed to the Middle East. "Taking Chance" brought the most tears to my eyes "Full Metal Jacket" is the one I have watched the most and "The Outlaw Josey Wales" was my favorite as a kid. I wanted to grow up to be Clint Eastwood.

Walter Defends Sarajevo,

Most watched, most epic movie in the world with probably the biggest cult following ever :D for a war movie. Excellent at its time from Yugoslavia, it caught on in China, propelling it to the stardom it is known today :)

This movie is so popular in China that they even have a beer named after the main character.

Patchcollector

"List only one movie"

Yeah,right! :lol:

Some of my faves have already been listed,such as "Blackhawk down" which in my view shows some of the most realistic battle scenes I've ever seen.Ridley Scott is one of my favorite directors.

Another film made by a great director,John Ford,is "They were expendable" This magnificent movie shows how the best qualities of men often shine brightest during the darkest hours.

Last I wanted to mention an often overlooked Russian film called "Come and see".It shows the stark brutality of the German soldiers towards the Russians in a way that may be too much for some,but in my view it is a "must see" movie.