Austrailian Made USMC Camo Helmet Covers

2ad82recon

Hi Flage Guy,

Those are some great examples....I love that poncho!! Hard to believe that it is still mint, some sections look almost weathered, while others are very vibrant. I may try to incorporate this into a future model figure of a Marine I'm working on in 120mm scale. A very nice helmet cover also! Certainly I can admit that it appears that many manufacturers of USMC gear did not always bother or care with color matches, so I admit my photo does not really help verify aussy made covers.

Hello GIJive,

It is possible it is optical illusion, what makes me think it could be different camo materials is that the seam between the two pieces of fabric seams to be very clean, on the left piece the color looks lighter, while the sun judging from the shadows is shining on the right side of the helmet, the darker side. Typically moisture/stains/dirt don't follow the seams on fabric, so I had ruled this out, although always possible I still think it is at least more likely different materials in this photo than just optical illusion, and when compared to the Marine in the center of the photo?

Cheers,

-Steve

Steve,

Could be? I was just pointing out that it is difficult to tell conclusively from a black and white photo. Many were different shades, so maybe that Marine's was too. Anyway, Flage Guy's examples show pretty well the varied color differences.

• 3 weeks later...
Steve,

Could be? I was just pointing out that it is difficult to tell conclusively from a black and white photo. Many were different shades, so maybe that Marine's was too. Anyway, Flage Guy's examples show pretty well the varied color differences.

Update: I found a better quality version of the image I posted (782 Gear, page 70) and it appears the helmet cover is most certainly the same pattern on both sides, it appears to be a type 2, and it looks like these Marines are also wearing Hawley liners with front lips that appear pretty busted up. So it looks like it was my eyes playing tricks on me in the poor quality photo after all.

-Steve

• 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Mine has double-tagged, both on the brown side of the green.

I think that one is a very obvious fake cover, nothing look period/original about it. Bad stamps, stitching, ect.

Regards,

-Steve

Agreed....i saw a Crystal Ltd cover for sale recently at a big show, they still go for decent money...i think they wanted 60-80ish...i would grab one if cheaper ..just to have an example for nostalgia sake...mike

• 3 years later...

Sometimes you want to believe something because it suits you to believe it.  In this case though, the evidence seems to point clearly to Aussie made covers being a genuine thing.

when considering this, consider also the camouflage garments produced by Britain to be used indiscriminately amongst the Army cut HBT suits so common in the late summer of 44 in the ETO. They were I believe a drill type material rather than hbt and were amongst an inventory of locally made items, mostly web gear, that were plentiful enough to write a whole book about ... quite literally.

It is therefore hardly Area 51 plausibility levels that any and all items could and would have been locally demanded in the PTO as a matter of expediency. Not least of them helmet covers.