Update on HBO's New Series "The Pacific"

Charlie Flick

Charlie Flick

Gentlemen:

I ran across this link to a site that has some very interesting information on the cast, story line, equipment used, filming locations, etc. for the new series "The Pacific". This site appears to be an unofficial non-HBO authorized site, but it has some good pics and interesting information on the series. One nugget I was unaware of previously was the extensive filming being done in Melbourne, Australia.

Take a peek: http://www.pararesearchteam.com/ThePacific.html

Regards,

Charlie

Johan Willaert

That site is run by Dutchman Ron Vandenbogert and is not official. BUT it has great info not only on the new HBO series, but also on BoB and many other things WW2 related (Airborne or not...)

You will spend hours on that site before you've seen it all.

Looks like an awesome series! Seeing the fallout from "Saving Private Ryan" and "Band Of Brothers", I'll have to set aside all my Marine Corps items until this series comes out. Value should probably triple after the release as everyone will want to have original Marine Corps items. Of course, I say this tongue in cheek however, there is a certain amount of truth to this also.

When Band of Brothers came out, it propelled the value of airborne, especially 101st AB items exponentially. I wonder if this will have a similar effect on the 1st Marine Division? I have some nice stuff related to this Division -

We'll see...

Patriot

ponyradish
When Band of Brothers came out, it propelled the value of airborne, especially 101st AB items exponentially. I wonder if this will have a similar effect on the 1st Marine Division? I have some nice stuff related to this Division -

We'll see...

Patriot

Watcha Got????Pony

Pony,

I have a couple decked out uniforms, nice theater made 1st Marine Division patch, photo scrapbook, and I believe a named PH - The purple heart is in storage, but if memory serves me right, it belonged to a soldier who was wounded at Okinawa. I have other Marine items too, but too much to list here.

You should check out my thread on the Montford Point Marines. That is one of the more interesting groups that I have, albeit not related to the 1st Marine Division.

Patriot

The forums very own Mr-X as he appeared in the last episode of "The Pacific" playing a Bergen Daily Chronicle journalist.

The photo was taken at the end of a long days shooting.

acting002_edited.jpg

The forums very own Mr-X as he appeared in the last episode of "The Pacific" playing a Bergen Daily Chronicle journalist.

The photo was taken at the end of a long days shooting.

We have greatness amongst us!... can I have your autograph? ermm.gif All joking aside, I really think that's awesome that you'll be in this series! Does said journalist see any combat... inquiring minds want to know!

No combat scenes. I'll be in a scene that takes place in the US at the conclusion of the war. Its in the last episode.

The scene is only a few minutes, but I can't think of a better place to have my 5 minutes of fame!

No combat scenes. I'll be in a scene that takes place in the US at the conclusion of the war. Its in the last episode.

The scene is only a few minutes, but I can't think of a better place to have my 5 minutes of fame!

Good on ya, Mate! I can't wait to hear an OZ guy talk like a New Joisey guy!!!!!! :D

Semper Fi....Bobgee

Damm, I missed meeting a FA then??? :blink:

(FA = Famous Australian)

I think it must have been a thrilling experience.

Erwin

Haha, really cool Mr. X! :D As you said, there is no better way to spend five minutes then on film! thumbsup.gif

Do you know everything about the whole series or just the last episode you were in? Also, do you happen to know the release date for the series?

- Jeff

I can tell you a few things but not too much.

They didn't tell us too much.

Some of the information is from my own observations and others from second hand sources.

Firstly I was filming in Feb. Back then they said that filming would last until mid March. Filming was still going on in May.

I was later told that they were going to re-shoot large parts of the first and second episode. Guadalcanal. No reason was given to me though I heard about the place that it was due to the set not looking the part.

I was also told that during the biggest days shooting of the Okinawa episode (day of the largest extras and pyro etc), the film developer destroyed the film and it all had to be re-shot.

I was also told by an extra on the Okinawa shoot they didn't agree with a few things that they were told to do. Such was only one or two people in his squad had their bayonets fixed etc.

Make of this info what you will, but don't treat it as gospel.

I have not idea about screening date. Some time next year I was told.

Don't worry Erwin you can meet me next time I'm in Europe. Who knows I might be actually famous then. Yeah right thumbsup.gif

Thank you very much for the information. thumbsup.gif I wasn't expecting you to tell me much at all anyways, I understand that it needs to stay under wraps anyways. ;) Thanks though for filling in some of the blanks. The movie sounds great, can't wait for it to come out so I can see your spell binding performance. :)

- Jeff

• 2 months later...

I just thought I would bring this topic back to the top to get anyone who didn't know about the new series interested in it. Also here is a nice fan site for the BOB: Pacific movie, there are some photos of filming and a couple video clips of the movie, looks like it might be a winner! :D

.:. The Pacific: A Fansite

- Jeff

vintageproductions

I did a show in Tokyo at the end of last summer and they already had a bunch of the unifom and gear items there for sale. Most was made by S&M Wholesale. Their stuff isn't that dangerous when it's brand new, but after seeing all the gear and clothing after it had been punished and ran through salt water it was pretty convincing. There was camo utilities, USMC t-shirts, shelter halves, web gear, etc...

Well, i'm not sure how many of you are gamers, but I hope this series inspires some game producers to come out with a Pacific themed FPS. Hopefully it is some what like MOH: Pacific Assault. They did an excellent job making that game an capturing what it really was like fighting the Japanese with their kamikaze attacks.

I think it would be quite neat to assault Iwo Jima in a FPS. Heck, to have any Pacific themed game would be great seeing how most of your WWII games on the market are focused on the European theater.

Note: I forgot, there is a Pacific themed FPS coming out. The company that makes the COD games is making another one for the Pacific theater, might be a good one. :)

- Jeff

When Band of Brothers came out, it propelled the value of airborne, especially 101st AB items exponentially. I wonder if this will have a similar effect on the 1st Marine Division?

Maybe if interest in 1st Marine Division stuff goes up as a result it'll make non-1st Mar Div stuff come down, too. Might be nice since as a newbie in this sport the learning/cost curve is steep.

If the series is well done and well advertised, there will probably be a hike in USMC and PTO uniforms and gear I would think. Not sure if it'll be up to the level of BoB, but we'll see.

If the series is well done and well advertised, there will probably be a hike in USMC and PTO uniforms and gear I would think. Not sure if it'll be up to the level of BoB, but we'll see.

How ironic is that? You would think that folks would show a respectful interest in all of these theaters of operation. If you think about it, the Pacific war was just as important, and FAR LARGER!! Personally, I'd rather endure a German counter-attack by Panzer Grenadiers than to have to endure day and NIGHT Banzai attacks on Guadalcanal...ANY DAY! At least the Jerry's knew how to take prisoners...and they even treated POWS pretty well. On occasion, even the Waffen-SS knew how to take prisoners. The Germans also knew when it was time to surrender....

Patriot

brandon_rss18
How ironic is that? You would think that folks would show a respectful interest in all of these theaters of operation. If you think about it, the Pacific war was just as important, and FAR LARGER!! Personally, I'd rather endure a German counter-attack by Panzer Grenadiers than to have to endure day and NIGHT Banzai attacks on Guadalcanal...ANY DAY! At least the Jerry's knew how to take prisoners...and they even treated POWS pretty well. On occasion, even the Waffen-SS knew how to take prisoners. The Germans also knew when it was time to surrender....

Patriot

EXACTLY! LOL Ive thought of this often before too, and I have the same opinion as you.

I think the modern portrayal won't affect the hobby too much, still too much of the new stuff out there

Band of Brothers increased the value of WWII 101st items, but the newer stuff is relatively cheaper, maybe boosted just a bit. Same goes for Ranger stuff after Saving Private Ryan