WWI Officer?

abqpropguy

I am not sure if this is pre WWI or post.....I think he is very distinguished! He kinda looks like Pershing?

The photo is in a very old frame....I have not taken it apart to see if there is writing on the back.

IMG_4755_zps17c8f535.jpgIMG_4756_zps885eb304.jpgIMG_4757_zpsa8f17007.jpg

It's a US Army General Officer in M1902 Full Dress Uniform. Based on the lack of Federal Campaign Medals, I would date this photo from the 1902 to 1907 time frame.

I would agree -- definitely pre 1912 when the new, wider top cap was adopted..

I agree, quite possibly NG, though could be pre 1907 when federal campaign medals began to be issued.

G

Probably pre-WWI, but I have learned to be careful with generals in full dress blues, especially if they appear of advanced years. They had a habit of being photographed well into retirement in their old uniforms. So an apparent c. 1910 photo might actually be from the 1920s.

• 4 years later...

I just noticed that when I started this thread I had used photobucket and of course the photos are gone.....thought I would repost them!

I was going to take new photos.....but being in a frame behind glass......I could get nothing but glare.....so back to the original photos.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I own a similar coat, cap, trousers and sash. (Search USMF postings for Gen, Charles Bailey) Buttons appear to be rimless, so are pre 1911 type. Collar trim differs from the one I own. Can anyone ID the medals?

G

I own a similar coat, cap, trousers and sash. (Search USMF postings for Gen, Charles Bailey) Buttons appear to be rimless, so are pre 1911 type. Collar trim differs from the one I own. Can anyone ID the medals?

G

Medal on right looks like a MOLLUS Medal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Military_Order_of_the_Loyal_Legion_of_the_United_States

Hmmmm -- could well be. He would have to have been in his 60's by then, and he does look that old. I suspect the other medal is a state award, though perhaps some sort of veteran's org.

G