Garands in Vietnam

Hardtack

I've been looking around online for documentation of M1 Garand use by US troops in Vietnam (the standard model, not the sniper version.)

So I was watching this interesting documentary on youtube about Hill 937 (Hamburger Hill) and saw what I believe is a stock M1 Garand in the hands of a US soldier or Marine.

Watch at 9:45, the third guy in line definitely has a Garand with en bloc clips on his web gear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtPnQr3eHQo

439th Signal Battalion

Good eye; I would concur that this Marine is also carrying an M1 based up the clip, although I don't think that particular shot has anything to do with Hill 937.

As for the use of the M1 Garand in American hands at that time, I would wager to say that it was sporadic, depending on the unit and CO, although I think that the M14 would have been more of a logical choice.

With that being said, however, it is possible that some GI's could have carried an M1 from time to time as many units did work closely with some ARVN groups who carried mainly WWII/Korean surplus weapons up until late 1969.

I have several friends in the 199th LIB that traded and carried Thompson's, M1 Carbines, and Grease Guns on operations up until 1970.

Something from wikipedia:

" Some Garands were still being used in the Vietnam War in 1963; despite the M14's official adoption in 1957, it was not until 1965 the changeover from the M1 Garand was completed in the active-duty component of the Army (with the exception of the sniper variants, which were introduced in World War II and saw action in Korea and Vietnam)."

dan_the_hun84

How about the Navy during this time? What were the shipboard small arms carried? Didn't the Navy use a bunch of .308 Grands then?

How about the Navy during this time? What were the shipboard small arms carried? Didn't the Navy use a bunch of .308 Grands then?

The Navy still had large quantities of .30-06 Garands in use aboard ship.

According to Frederick Downs, his platoon would assign a weapon with a heavier bullet to the point man. The idea was the bullet was less likely to be dflected greatly by foliage, and the point might be firing the first shot. He does state however that in his platoon the weapon was an M14. This was circa 1967-68

That is a very interesting pic of the GI carrying a Garand. My question would be is what cartridge is it chambered for---30'06 or 308. My first thought would be for 308, because of ease in resupply of ammo. I realize that the ARVN were still being issued 30'06 weaponry early in the war, but for a regular US unit to have large quantities of '06 ammo immediately available...hmmm. Just wondering!!!

I have seen .30-'06 with an LC-69 head stamp,which indicates Lake City 1969, so it was still in production at least by the middle of the war.

I have seen .30-'06 with an LC-69 head stamp,which indicates Lake City 1969, so it was still in production at least by the middle of the war.

I think the Air Force kept the .30-06 in inventory for a long time.

RC

I know that when my dad was in ITR at camp Pendelton in the summer of 1967 his panoramic ITR photo they have Garands. They may be dummy's but they are definately Garands.

• 7 months later...

I have a bunch of that LC 69, it's de-linked from the CMP.

I could still request, and receive 30-06'(M2 Ball)at least until 1988(last time I ordered it), for a trip to Honduras. We brought our own enbloc clips, and signed out Honduran M1 rifles. Their army had M16A1s, but plenty of Garands in the arms rooms. Taught my Jr. Wpns Sgt how accurate an M1 could be. SKIP

• 2 weeks later...

Army National Guard units still had M1 Garands in inventory at that time.