Name That Patch.

patches

Maybe this can be a new ongoing topic, the posting of unknown or hard to see shoulder patches or other realted cloth insigina seen on Original Period photos of guys in Uniform from any period.

Here's one that stumps, a post from the Dogs and the Military topic, states it's guys from the 181st Infantry formerly from the 26th Division and now attached to the Eastern Defense Command.

post-34986-0-87875500-1389157924.jpg

But that patch we see isn't the Eastern Defense Command's Shoulder Patch, which was autherized in November 1943,

post-34986-0-54491500-1389157959.jpg

So What's this Patch we're seeing on the 181st Inf GI?

Next is a GI in Vietnam circa 1967-70, he's got a raggedy A.. Vietnamese made shoulder patch on, but what is it? kinda looks like a suddued 101?

post-34986-0-29739400-1389158425.jpg

Photo again from the Dogs and the Military topic.

1st Coastal Artillery

I don't think so, I looked at that one too, this patch on the 181st Inf guy seems to have a diagonal three color square patch, the dark being either Red or Blue, perhaps the Three Combat Branch Colors???

Ah the old photo distortion strikes again, got this enlarged it does appear to be like Patriot thought, the 1st Coast Artillery District, a bit of a shine off the patches silky like rayon threads has produced a glare obscuring the Yellow Circle and the OD background leaving only the Shell prominently seen

post-34986-0-32852900-1389325705.jpg

The DUI isn't even close to that of the 1st Coast Artillery. It does bear some resemblance to the 217th Coast Artillery regt, which was a California unit as far as I can tell, but it did come up when I searched for the 1st Coast Artillery. I love the second picture, by the way. With a small dog, a LAW and grim determination a man can do anything!

The DUI isn't even close to that of the 1st Coast Artillery. It does bear some resemblance to the 217th Coast Artillery regt, which was a California unit as far as I can tell, but it did come up when I searched for the 1st Coast Artillery. I love the second picture, by the way. With a small dog, a LAW and grim determination a man can do anything!

The SSI is for the 1st Coast Artillery District (it may have had other names, too). You are confusing the regiment with other units. The 1st Coast Artillery District could have a number of different regiments and battalions with their own DUIs under its command. The 1st Coast Artillery District itself had no DUI.

The WWII GI has been IDed as a member of the 181st Infantry, formerly of the 26th Yankee Inf Div, now when this picture was taken assigned to the Eastern Defense Command. Do not know the exact year and month the photo was taken, but's possible it was taken befor the Eastern Defense Command had it's own patch, and the one worn would be the 1st Coast Artillery District. It seems the CA District fell under the general control of the regional Defense Commands.

See this on the 2nd CA Dist stationed in the NYC area.

http://books.google.com/books?id=Htx0Moeh9CYC&pg=PA12&lpg=PA12&dq=1st+coast+artillery+district+eastern+defense+command&source=bl&ots=wWv6i_nZl9&sig=9tb6JD_kDRhxp7ozBUPEIaltSKo&hl=en&sa=X&ei=oazRUsCAJKnhsAT7soDQBw&ved=0CFEQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=1st%20coast%20artillery%20district%20eastern%20defense%20command&f=false

More of the story is conveyed in the symbolism of the Coat of Arms of 126th Aviation Regiment (of all places), which inherited its lineage, in part, from 181st Infantry Regiment:

post-1963-0-34234200-1389476717.jpg

The wavy blue band, symbolizing water, and the yellow disc, taken from the shoulder sleeve insignia of the New England frontier defense sector, allude to the former organization's mission in the early part of World War II. The four caltrops, an ancient weapon, allude to the four battle honors received for service in Northern France, Rhineland, Ardennes-Alsace, and Central Europe. The caltrops, simulating aircraft, further allude to the parent organization's former designation as an aviation battalion. The powder horn, taken from the arms of the 181st Infantry, refers to the organization of which it was an element in World War II...(link here).

Early in 1942, the prewar numbered Coast Artillery Districts all reorganized as “frontier defense sectors” early in 1942, with 1st CA District becoming New England Frontier Defense Sector, headquartered at Boston Army Base, which was a subordinate command of Eastern Defense Command.

Thank's Wailuna, any photos of the Eastern Defense Command patch being worn to add to the Patches in Action topic? :D

Sorry, the old trick bag is just about sucking wind at the moment but your special order for one pix. of EDC patch on-the-hoof is duly noted.

ps. Hqs. EDC was located at Ft. Jay, in your neck of the woods, so to speak, maybe something will turn up for you closer to home.

I could wrong but the di on the hat does not look like the 181st INF.

181INFps.jpg

181st Infantry Regiment

I see what your Driving at FF, but what looks like a Scroll on the DI on the guys cap is just the flared pointy bottom of the DI, like the glare on the patch that distorts the design, so too on the DI.

post-34986-0-29739400-1389158425.jpg

Now back to this guy, and Jump Qualified GI, we don't have many choices, perhaps a OD Bordered Herd patch? because I not seeing a Black border, even RVN made 173rg Abn Bde patches had a Black Border but we also know they made them, whether machine or hand embrodered with OD borders many times.

Here's the original post, I was able to track it down.

Posted by Snoopy25 on 29 May 2010 - 09:04 PM in EPHEMERA & PHOTOGRAPHS

October 1943, Hingham, Mass

Dad (holding Blackie) and buddy, both members of M Co. 181st Inf Reg., which was assigned/attached to the 1st Coast Artillery District, after being relieved from the 26th ID in 1942.
post-12179-1275195795.jpg

As we see here I copied this wrong, it did say 1st CA Dist, :o:blush: I got the Eastern Defense Command on my brain from their Higher Command Orgainzation, as the 181st Inf is listed as assigned to the EDC on 8 February 1943. But hey it least it was a interesting talk, No one can ever accuse me of being boring :lol:

• 5 years later...

I bet it is the 101st. When I zoom in beyond the frayed edges I think I see black. The bottom also looks like it might curve in and down to form the point.

I bet it is the 101st. When I zoom in beyond the frayed edges I think I see black. The bottom also looks like it might curve in and down to form the point.

Yes indeed, that's what I did and seen.