33 replies to this topic

#21 Kevin Beyer

Kevin Beyer

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 276
  • 604 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 11:00 AM

Hi, Noah,

I look forward to seeing the medal you have. There were several manufacturers of MOS membership medals. As such there are variations in the way they were made. I am always interested in seeing different types!

Thanks,

Kevin

#22 Keith

Keith
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,830
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 07:48 PM

Here is my small contribution. I have no idea what it was for. The pinback bar measures about 1.5" and the pendant is about .5" in diameter. Thanks.
Posted Image

#23 Kevin Beyer

Kevin Beyer

• Moderators
  • 604 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:12 PM

Keith,

What you have there appears to be the top bar of the 1921 Minneapolis, Mn, Military Order of the Serpent National Encampment badge. I am not sure if this type of top pin was used for other reunions, so it could be for some other event. Attached is a picture of what it might be.

MOS1921Minneapolis2.jpg

Kevin

#24 Keith

Keith
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,830
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 06 April 2009 - 08:18 PM

Yep, that is it! Thanks!..

Edited by Kevin Beyer, 06 April 2009 - 08:24 PM.

#25 NoahBenzing

NoahBenzing
  • Members
    • Member ID: 6,054
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:48 AM

Finally got around to taking some pictures of the Military Order of the Serpent badge that turns out to be part of a Lieutenant Oliver C. Hinkle's collection.
What can you tell me about this medal Kevin? I know it's an earlier version based on the cutouts but that's about it.

Attached Images

• MOS_1.jpg

#26 NoahBenzing

NoahBenzing
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:49 AM

The ribbon show signs of wear, but it's still beautiful :))

Attached Images

• MOS_2.jpg

#27 NoahBenzing

NoahBenzing
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 08:51 AM

Manufactured By: JAY D. LEA (Sandusky, Ohio)

Attached Images

• MOS_3.jpg

#28 Kevin Beyer

Kevin Beyer

• Moderators
  • 604 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 03:36 PM

What can I say about this medal that your outstanding pictures don't say already?

It is one of the earlier versions of the first degree membership badge as evidenced by the cut outs around the bolo hilts and around the skull. It was made by Jay D. Lea of Sandusky, Ohio. The MOS was formed in Ohio and it had its largest state membership there. It is surprising that more of this type aren't found. I think that the Jay D. Lea badges are the best made versions. Do you know if Mr. Hinkle lived in Ohio?

Other makers of the Khatipunan badge were Bastian Bros, The Denver Badge & Novelty Company, Whitehead & Hoag, Jos. Mayer & Bros, and one maker who didn't stamp their mark on their badges. The ribbons on these early badges are sometimes frail. The have been known to unravel, or just come apart if they endure a prolonged exposure to sunlight.

According to my records, Oliver C. Hinkle never rose to the Bayani Grade (National Level) of membership in the MOS.

Thanks for sharing these excellent pictures!

Kevin

Edited by Kevin Beyer, 19 April 2009 - 03:22 PM.

#29 NoahBenzing

NoahBenzing
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 07:39 PM

Thank you for the photo compliments Kevin... I've always had OCD when it comes to close-up's ;) Nope.. not sure if Mr. Hinkle lived in Ohio or not but he sure as hell did live here in Oklahoma and fought in the Spanish/American war. Maybe I can find out more about him from this angle... his name is on his Spanish War coin.

#30 teufelhunde.ret

teufelhunde.ret

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 376
  • 15,313 posts

Posted 11 April 2009 - 11:11 PM

Kevin - thank you for history lesson. I think the medals of this era are the most handsome. I look forward to seeing more!
s/f Darrell

#31 NoahBenzing

NoahBenzing
  • Members
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 April 2009 - 12:41 AM

Thank you for the photo compliments Kevin... I've always had OCD when it comes to close-up's ;) Nope.. not sure if Mr. Hinkle lived in Ohio or not but he sure as hell did live here in Oklahoma and fought in the Spanish/American war. Maybe I can find out more about him from this angle... his name is on his Spanish War coin.

Kevin .... I just discovered that Mr. Hinkle was in fact a member of the 8th Ohio Volunteer Infantry... Company F (Canton, Ohio)

#32 Kevin Beyer

Kevin Beyer

• Moderators
  • 604 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:29 PM

As some people may know, I collect Military Order of the Serpent items. It is an area of collecting in which not too many people take an interest. The MOS is an obscure subset of organized veterans from a someone obscure war that happened sometime between the Civil War and World War I. So, imagine my surprise when I found out that the State of Missouri museum system was putting on a display of Military Order of the Serpent reunion badges from a donated collection they had received in 1929. These MOS items have been sitting in obscurity in the archives of the Missouri Museum system for the last 83 years. As it turns out, a summer intern wanted to create a special display before leaving her internship and she chose this material as her project. These items have been on display at the Missouri State Museum at the Missouri State Capitol building since March. I am not sure how much longer they will be shown, but I can honestly tell you that it was a real thrill to have seen these badges presented in such a fine manner.

DSC_0327.jpg

#33 Kevin Beyer

Kevin Beyer

• Moderators
  • 604 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:32 PM

This is as good of a close up photo as my meager camera skills would allow.

DSC_0297.jpg

The badge in the lower left is from 1909 for the M.O.S.'s 4th Supreme Convocation held in Tacoma, Washington. It is the earliest reunion badge from the M.O.S. that I have ever seen.

Kevin

#34 Kevin Beyer

Kevin Beyer

• Moderators
  • 604 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 05:38 PM

I am not sure if this photo is legible, or not, but this is the text below the reunion badges on display.

ForGeorgeKane03.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

In Memory of Co-Founder GREG MILLS ROBINSON, a.k.a. "Marine-KaBar"
(February 17, 1949 - March 5, 2011)