No EGA Collection Is Complete Without One of These

Brig

I just bought this off eBay...my guess is it came from liquidated stock when NS Meyers or H&H went under

Oh boy, oh boy...now I can start churning out my own repops of that highly coveted Model 1956 enlisted emblem!

The seller had other spin casting molds, this was the only military related one

$_57 (1).JPG

$_57.JPG

Perhaps more H&H...or even OEC...OEC currently offers insignia in your choice of brass or zinc...zinc would be compatible with spin casting

Additionally, Meyers and H&H both went under due to fines for using inferior metal content than they had agreed to via government contract, so may have been using spin casting techniques prior to the government agreeing to zinc variants

Or these very well may have been used in the production of PX souveneirs and/or sweetheart jewelry. I don't have it in hand yet, but by the photos it looks proportionally correct to insignia size

For 20 bucks, it's a worthy conversation piece for an EGA enthusiast

Very cool, I am just trying to figure out how the mold fits in the centrifuge and where the crucible pours the material into the mold?

I’m guessing the large hole on the one mold half is where the molten material is poured and the mold itself sits on a bed with some sort of spindle in the center of a motor. Very interesting.

I believe it pours into the hole in one side once they're married up, and is routed though the triangular grooves and trenches into the molds.

I believe it pours into the hole in one side once they're married up, and is routed though the triangular grooves and trenches into the molds.

can you post pics of the mold put together front back and sides. Very cool score by the way.

Thanks, it looks like it poors in the center of the mold and the mold is mostlikely sitting on a bed that spins. A very cool find, it would be fun to give it a try.

The seller tells me they got it with other jewelry making supplies, including more molds not military related. I'm guessing, perhaps then, for the sweetheart and novelty market, (Sgt Grit type stuff).

you could alway make a wax impresion of one of the ega's and see what you get. you can use soap instead of wax if it's easier to come by. heat it up amd poor it in one of the relifes and see what comes out. pam sprayed in teh mold will help keep things from sticking

Maybe the plastic ones in WWII...not sure how old the process of spin casting is, but these molds would not support a metal with a high melt point like brass or bronze

teufelhunde.ret

These are quite the conversation items! The technique was first applied to making contact lens in the early 60s and it's beginning in industry using vulcanized silicone. Your right, only for use w/zinc composites and plastics as the moulds can only take so much heat. Great find... (will need pics)

When I worked for Cotswold Collectibles making "GI Joe" prototypes many of my original pieces were mass produced using the spin casting process. We cast our pieces in pewter which is 98% tin. I had to "beef up" trigger guards in my original handmade prototypes to allow for shrinkage of the metal in the casting process. The molds are expensive to make but a thousand or more pieces can be made from the mold. There are some silicone rubbers that will allow casting aluminum but the number of pours are limited because of the high temperatures involved. A great conversation starter for your collection. Thanks for sharing.

Dick

Stinger Gunner USMC

you could alway make a wax impresion of one of the ega's and see what you get. you can use soap instead of wax if it's easier to come by. heat it up amd poor it in one of the relifes and see what comes out. pam sprayed in teh mold will help keep things from sticking

Brig can go into business selling EGA soap and EGA candles! I see a million dollar business here!

Got it today...the modern enlisted cover emblem fits perfectly, to include details...so either it's for zinc emblems, or souveneirs using exact proportional emblems

I'll take 20 dozen !

Very interesting item.

I want 20 dozen of those chocolate ones your making for Mitter