USMC Marksmanship Badges w/Unauthorized EGA Affixed

Bob Hudson

Armed 2 tha Teeth

Here are some pictures of a Basic Qualification badge that I believe was on Ebay sometime last year.

I have a Basic Qualification badge with an EGA in the center, it is much smaller than the one pictured and bronze in color. I will put up some pictures this weekend.

post-50776-0-29417500-1399940813.jpg

post-50776-0-22975000-1399940823.jpg

post-50776-0-46565300-1399940829.jpg

robert60446
Here are some pictures of a Basic Qualification badge that I believe was on Ebay sometime last year.

Hi,

Thanks for posting your pictures. This is strange combination, because posted by you badge was already with EGA on the top...

Stinger Gunner USMC

I know its not an EGA on a shooting badge but...

Here is a photo of my grandfather in WWII and a closeup of his shooting badges w00t.gif I thought I was crazy until I scanned the image and blew it up and found this Bulldog

Too bad this one didn't survive, and Ive never seen one like it in real life.

post-1672-1209081315.jpg

post-1672-1209081325.jpg

robert60446
I know its not an EGA on a shooting badge but...

Here is a photo of my grandfather in WWII and a closeup of his shooting badges w00t.gif I thought I was crazy until I scanned the image and blew it up and found this Bulldog

Too bad this one didn't survive, and Ive never seen one like it in real life.

Just beautiful badge and great picture! Man, one more to look after… w00t.gif

Thanks for sharing your grandfather picture with us!

Stinger Gunner USMC

Also of note.. it appears that the M-37 basic qual badge may sport a raised ega on it rather than the flat one that was commonly stamped on the badge.

??it the shadow just appears to me to be a raised varaity??

Also, just in case anyone wanted to know.. My grandfather was SSgt Andrew Marcolini, from IL and was stationed in Bremington, Wa and Kodiak Island Ak in the alutians campaign. ( I have hundreds of photos from Alaska during the war if anyone is interested in copies...)

• 1 month later...

Here are two I just picked up at the Raleigh show, both sterling marked, the rifle badge is H&H. Got the pair for $75. I think I did okay. Anyone agree? :)

EGA_Badges_Front.JPG

• 8 months later...

another one I just picked up. the top anchor fluke is snapped off, but the EGA is that often seen on these pieces, the same as the one seen on my expert badge above. It's H&H sterling...a good solid piece with some weight to it

HH_MM_Front.JPG

HH_MM_Rear.JPG

Ok, Here are mine. I will start big and then scale down.

These two pictures are:

(1) Most of my marksman badge collection (Minus post 1958 Expert Rifle, sharpshooter [rifle and pistol] and Marxman [rifle and pistol] badges, which are not pictured) First the group picture, then individuals.

(2) Marksmanship badges with unauthorized EGAs.

I will follow with individual badge pics.

I started picking these up when I was 10 years old (Over 25 years ago).

post-5056-1234421888.jpg

post-5056-1234421938.jpg

These two have me puzzled. At first glance one might think that they were put on by some motivated Marine when we (the Marine Corps) went to the "Army style" badge in the 1920s. Since these are both clutch back, I dont think that they are old enough for that. The style of EGA on them could be, but the badge itself makes me think heck NO!

My theory is that they belonged to some one with prior USMC Service that went into the National Guard (1970s or 1980 when I got them) and was still a proud Devil Dog at heart.

I don't know what the real story is, just a theory.

post-5056-1234422531.jpg

post-5056-1234422963.jpg

This next one is an early marksman badge. Not a very high quality badge (Note pin on back). Nice Droop wing EGA though.

don't remember ever seeing another like it. I dontremember when I got it, but it was at least 15 years ago, an back then I wasn't paying much for marksmanship badges (definately less than $5.00).

post-5056-1234423084.jpg

post-5056-1234423092.jpg

post-5056-1234423100.jpg

The next one is what I would call a transition piece. It is clutchback, so a late piece, the EGA is the post 1954 style (top anchor fluke is different than bottom), and Maltese cross is suspended by only one ring vs two like on the post 1958 style badge.

post-5056-1234423794.jpg

post-5056-1234423828.jpg

The remaining ones are more of the "common" uncommon ones (don't know if thet even makes sense).

The one on the officers equipment company card is the way I got it, I do not believe that this card is original to the badge.

S/F

John

post-5056-1234424168.jpg

post-5056-1234424178.jpg

post-5056-1234424186.jpg

post-5056-1234424198.jpg

here's my recent addition of a WWII Sharpshooter Badge with a sweetheart EGA affixed to the center. This badge is perhaps the most often seen badge with an unauthorized device. Is anyone else starting to think that this is where the Marine Corps got the idea for the 1958 pattern change?

SS_EGA_Front.JPG

SS_EGA_Rear.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
WWI to Harry Steele, cannot see the rings, but a variation

Bill

that's one sweet badge w00t.gif

that would hold a proud piece in any USMC marksmanship badge collection. Is it engraved on back or from a group?

teufelhunde.ret
WWI to Harry Steele, cannot see the rings, but a variation

Bill

I believe these one ring types were (issue) and most prevelent during the ww1 period ?

9ae5_1.jpg

_BNu6cNwBGk___KGrHgoOKjEEjlLmY6sPBJrGtnNyGw___1.jpg