USMC Marksmanship Badges w/Unauthorized EGA Affixed

Bob Hudson

NOTE:

FELLOW FORUM MEMBERS,

This topic is split from the original 31 page USMC Marksmanship Badge topic. With recent changes to the forum now containing a separate marksmanship badge subforum, we will gradually be splitting the large catch-all topic into more appropriate independent topics where they can be more easily accessed and referenced.

This thread will remain the "catch-all" for marksmanship badges with unauthorized EGA & other devices affixed against regulations, however members are not limited to posting their badges here and may feel free to start their own topics for the discussion of other badges.

-Brig

Found a USMC Expert Rifleman badge with an EGA in the center where the rifles cross. I haven't seen this before. Is this from a certain time period?

craig_pickrall

If it reads EXPERT RIFLEMAN and has crossed M1903's then it was in use from 1912 until 1924 and from 1937 until 1958. The EGA was probably added by the Marine. The EGA was used on lesser badges during some of that time period.

In 1958 the badge was changed to read RIFLE EXPERT and it had crossed M1's.

Between 1924 and 1937 the USMC used the same badges as the army.

If it reads EXPERT RIFLEMAN and has crossed M1903's then it was in use from 1912 until 1924 and from 1937 until 1958. The EGA was probably added by the Marine. The EGA was used on lesser badges during some of that time period.

In 1958 the badge was changed to read RIFLE EXPERT and it had crossed M1's.

Between 1924 and 1937 the USMC used the same badges as the army.

Here's the photo of it. The EGA is the same material as the rest of the badge and very much appears to have been designed for it. I found a one of the on an old ebay auction (you can sometimes find older ebay auction through Google, even though you can't find them through ebay's search engine). Anyway, it said the badge came from an estate that had a good conduct medal from the 1930's.

Mine has the "safety pin" type catch on the back.

egarifleman.jpg

egariflemanback.jpg

Just found another old ebay listing for one of these and it says, "1920s US Marine Corps Expert Rifleman Badge as awarded to Cpl. George W. Brandt of the Marine Deatchment, USS Southery on 6 July 1928."

I have also found two more of these sold on ebay, one in Canada, the other in Holland. They both called it "1920's."

craig_pickrall

I'm guessing that is an unauthorized private purchase item if it is from the stated time period. It is confirmed that between 1924 and 1937 the USMC used the army badges. If it was from one of the two time periods that this design was approved then I think it is still a private purchase piece since the EGA was not on the authorized design. The time periods are: 1912 - 1924 and 1937 - 1958.

craig_pickrall

I just thought to check my copy of the USMC Uniform Regs from 1937. It shows the badge with crossed M1903's but no EGA device. That was the year it was reinstated.

Guest gyrene66

The Expert Rifleman with the added EGA, while unofficial and unauthorized, were in fact manufactured by a few insignia makers, prominently N.S.Meyer. They were popular with Marines and I have found at least three that came with documented medal groups, including the one mentioned above named to Brandt. Brandt qualified as an Expert and was discharged in the 1920s and clearly this was a private purchase prior to his leaving the Marines. Later badges such as Sharpshooter and the basic badge were also manufactured with the added EGA. I owned and have examined a number of these badges and noted that the EGA is usually the same, often with the eagle facing the wrong direction. All of the examples were made circa 1925 to 1945. The earlier N.S. Meyer pieces have an open catch, later examples and those made by Hilborn-Hamburger have the rotating safety catch.

The Expert Rifleman with the added EGA, while unofficial and unauthorized, were in fact manufactured by a few insignia makers, prominently N.S.Meyer. They were popular with Marines and I have found at least three that came with documented medal groups, including the one mentioned above named to Brandt. Brandt qualified as an Expert and was discharged in the 1920s and clearly this was a private purchase prior to his leaving the Marines. Later badges such as Sharpshooter and the basic badge were also manufactured with the added EGA. I owned and have examined a number of these badges and noted that the EGA is usually the same, often with the eagle facing the wrong direction. All of the examples were made circa 1925 to 1945. The earlier N.S. Meyer pieces have an open catch, later examples and those made by Hilborn-Hamburger have the rotating safety catch.

Thanks for joining in and for the input!

So I wonder if this was then something the Marines purchased in protest over being issued the Army marksman badges after 1924?

I just found another one of these with the EGA in a French language page at http://perso.orange.fr/usmc-collectors/fic...%20de%20tir.htm - they also show a Pistol Expert and a Pistol Sharpshooter badges with EGA's. There are some very good photos on this page of all types of USMC marksman badges and it makes me wish I'd done better in high school French class.

I do recognize the word "argent" and looking at those and at mine, I think mine too is silver.

• 4 weeks later...
egarifleman.jpg

The rifles represented in this insignia is the M1898 Krag. The magazine gate and magazine plate are visible on the right and left side views respectfully.

The rifles on the badge in Post # 8 are representations of the M1903. I was under the impression as previously stated that this insignia was used until after WWII.

In 1964 I purhased about 10 "New old stock" carded expert badges, identical to the example shown in Post #8, at a store in San Diego that catered to the military. All of these badges were sterling silver and tarnished just as the example in the post.

Both of the badges discussed here, without the EGA, were used by the Army from about 1902 until replaced by the smaller badge system in the 1930s. I have an example of an identical badge as illustrated above without EGA.

Here are mine. Both are Sterling marked, the Expert is also marked Meyer. They both came from Marines who served in World War Two.

post-50776-0-13636200-1399940560.png

post-50776-0-71495200-1399940575.jpg

• 5 months later...

I have picked up four more of the Sharpshooter badges with EGA's, two of them in the last week. They all have different marks on the back: the one in the upper right of the photo is E&F Simon, Inc.

sharpEGA.jpg

I have picked up four more of the Sharpshooter badges with EGA's, two of them in the last week. They all have different marks on the back: the one in the upper right of the photo is E&F Simon, Inc.

post-214-1181519450.jpg

Bob,

All four of your Sharpshooter Badges shown are the post-1958 version. Notice the two hanger rings versus the earlier pre-1958 version with only one hanger ring. You'll also notice the EGA emblems on these are quite a bit different than the earlier pre-1958 "private purchase" shooting badge EGA's. These have the current M1955 emblem with fouled ropes, while the earlier EGA's didn't have them. Every post-1958 USMC shooting badge I've ever handled or owned has had a maker's mark or hallmark. My eBay or junk store lots of accumulated post-1958 USMC shooting badges all have hallmarks, including H&H (STERLING), KREW (STERLING), NS MEYER, INC., ANTAYA G.I., H.L.R., H.L.R.G.I. AND L.I.G.I.. I guess a person could collect these by maker alone and have a nice large collection of badges, but it isn't going to be me! Some of the earlier post-1958 sterling marked badges are becoming quite collectible these days and are actually looked for by collectors.

Gary

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
robert60446

Hi guys,

I was lucky to add this Pistol Sharpshooter badge to my collection lately...it is a prefect match to my Rifle Expert...both made by Meyer.

post-2829-1209065424.jpg