USMC Marksmanship Badges w/ Date Ladder Suspensions

USMCR79

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Question: Prior to post-Korea suspension bars, were the half-round ended date bars actually authorized for Marine use? Or were they Army issue that some Marines used in place of the more common fish-tail bars? Are there photos of Marines wearing badges like BGen Inman's post WWI one that Bill posted?

There are photos, and there are badges in pre-WWII groups with the ladders, as well. There are a few Marines in this photo I own, taken Christmas 1935 in China, with suspension bars on their badges...

post-22-0-65984700-1414337484.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Yes I have seen images of these suspension bars, but were Marines authorized to wear the ones with the half-round ends as opposed to the fish-tails like Reeves above? Anyone have any close-ups of them worn by Marines?

post-133515-0-74535700-1422587102.jpg

I've seen them on named badges. Don't know if they were 'authorized', but we know regs weren't enforced as they are today

Yes I have seen images of these suspension bars, but were Marines authorized to wear the ones with the half-round ends as opposed to the fish-tails like Reeves above? Anyone have any close-ups of them worn by Marines?

attachicon.gifpost-22-1342298366.jpg

The badge on the right is in my collection - It came with the medal group of Col. Kenneth Inman - in the 1920-21-22 time period he was assigned to the QM Department at HQUSMC - Although non standard, I think that when you were an officer in that time period you could be "creative" RHIP

Bill

• 4 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I picked this nice 1950s EXPERT RIFLEMAN a while back, might have even posted it somewhere, 1953-54-55 & 1956-57-58, both bars are marked STERLING 12C. Looks like in the 1950s the half round ends were in use. 

20210207_184505.jpg

20210207_184537.jpg