USMC Engraved Rifle/Pistol Qualification Badges

kfields

Bill, that is a real beauty! The manufacture style definitely matches perfectly with the date. As a cool aside, that may actually be a US Army piece as the only Gages I can find for the Corps in 1919 were Howard L., Lawrence A., Raymond D., and Thomas W. According to the rolls, the only "Gage" Marines up until 1940 with the middle initial H were George H. and Otto H. Honestly, I don't know where the other, more experienced guys on the forum stand, but I see even fewer named Army badges than I do Marine ones. Nice score!

Ken

Ahhh... Goge, not Gage! That definitely explains it! So much for my reading of script. Sorry about that! Either way, very nice and a great addition to your collection.

Ken

• 8 months later...
normaninvasion

Thought I'd post my great uncles badges. I had to replace his sharpshooter and need to replace his BB&B expert rifleman. He served from 1914-1946

post-4253-1240172918.jpg

normaninvasion

Thanks Brig, Having his decorations means alot to me. in the near future I will be trying to set some goals towards building a collection devoted to his service. Will need all the help I can get from our USMC collectors! Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

here's a nice roll catch H&H Sterling example I picked up. On the rear, scratched in by hand, is the date '3/12/56'. hard to see the date...it's raining out

56_SS_Front.JPG

56_SS_Rear.JPG

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

here's an interesting current strike badge marked HLP...first...does anyone know what HLP is for? The Marine scratched his name in two places...the rear of the top bar, and the rear lower half of the planchet...it's 'U' shaped. R. D. Thompson...kind of cool to see this on a more modern piece. got it with a large group of various badges, didn't know it was named until it arrived

Thompson_Front.JPG

Thompson_Rear.JPG

• 9 months later...

a great named Sharpshooter badge I just got in. named to:

John Todak

Aug. 1, 1912.

my ancestry expired so I haven't yet had the chance to look him up, but a nice early named badge

earlier we had a 1912 badge posted with a bar, not a name. is this the year they transitioned?

100_6374.JPG

100_6380.JPG

• 3 months later...
normaninvasion
BB&B...only brought 69...once again, if I wasn't committed to other things, it would have gone higher

Now that was a steal :pinch: , a beauty. These were going for crazy prices a couple years ago. Was it listed wrong?

no, listed just fine. I remember the last one brought 200...my play money is running low so that makes me cheaper

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
This is the only engraved WWI USMC Expert Rifleman award I have seen but they may be common. I have had this group for 25 years. Engraved on bar is DeWitt C Carpenter and one the suspension wreath is "254 Points June 20th 1918". "US" on one side and "MC" on the other. Anyone else have one of these? Also in the groups is a Good Conduct Medal No. 40432 which is not engraved, WWI Victory Medal and enlisted cap Eagle Globe and Anchor. The marine must not have gone overseas.

post-1848-1198360041.jpg

post-1848-1198360057.jpg

post-1848-1198360161.jpg

post-1848-1198360273.jpg

Hi Steve

I have one it has his name on the top bar it is Charles E. Bruce and in the center it has the score 260 with US on one side and MC on the other. The bottom of the medal has the date it is 8-22-18. I would post a picture but iam new and i cant. This is my favorite shooting badge.

Stan

My 2 cents worth. Estate sale find and I have no idea of its age or provenance. Missing the pin. Engraved to J. C. Bowery. Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

post-12790-1288491605.jpg

post-12790-1288491625.jpg

post-12790-1288491653.jpg

My 2 cents worth. Estate sale find and I have no idea of its age or provenance. Missing the pin. Engraved to J. C. Bowery. Thanks, Al Hirschler in Dallas.

I meant to mention that I took the pics without a flash, so the color came out wrong. The badge is silver in color.

post-12790-1288531945.jpg

post-12790-1288531959.jpg

teufelhunde.ret

Jesse C. Bowery enlisted Aug 1940 and was on the USS Houston Dec 1940 when muster rolls expire.

teufelhunde.ret

Nice pre WW1 sterling BB&B USMC expert badge to Pvt. R.F. Hinz who fired 263 on Aug 8, 1918. Hinz stayed at PI for awhile, sent to Quantico where he was discharged a few months later, COG. Badge sold on ebay for 120.+

_B6qp5VwEWk___KGrHqEOKkMEzHmuY_1iBMyJ18Eyrg___3.jpg

• 1 year later...

Bought a small group of medals and badges last week, just arrived. Knew the expert badge was missing a muzzle on one rifle and named, but never saw a rear image. Was ecstatic to see it's an engraved BB&B Badge to a Marine who served from 1909-1913, and again from 1917-1919...guessing drafted back into service. Not sure if everything in the lot is his, have to request his record. Came with a Victory Medal with 3 clasps...but Muster Rolls seems he never left the states during WWI (though a lot of ship time his first enlistment). Rim numbered GC...with a second award bar with no number engraved, though I imagine he received a medal the first time pre-dating numbered rims. Also, and Army GC tossed in and a 1919 Washington DC WWI service medal. Have to do a request and see if I can match up a rim number to his discharge cert. Irregardless, wonderful scarce BB&B expert badge named and dated, August 11, 1911!

100_2090.JPG

100_2092.JPG