Variable density goggles

AZPhil

Hello To All,

I have been reading threads on this site but this is my first post. But I have been putting together a AAF flight uniform. This is my start along with the A9 cloth flight helmet and a couple headsets and another pair of goggles and throat mic's. These are in cherry condition and work perfectly.This came with the storage tin along with 2 red lenses and instruction for use and care.

Semper Fi

Phil

post-11740-0-82458600-1388793414.jpg

post-11740-0-69775200-1388793445.jpg

Nice piece Phil ! that's something I havnt got , I don't know why , I just keep passing them up !!! :D

welcome to the expensive world of AAF collecting !!!! :D

LB

Thanks LB,

So far I have a complete Officer's(Capt) and enlisted man(TSgt) dress 8th AF uniform with ribbons and wings. I'm going to get some full size mannequins to display them. I also have my Aunt's WAC SSgt uniforms from the CBI. I want to add to the display.

After completing the dress uniforms I have just started on the flight gear. I have gotten dress uniforms at or below cost and at a great price I think. But it looks like this flight gear is going to cost a pretty penny. Those Oxygen masks definitely are not cheap.

Take Care

Semper Fi

Phil

Johan Willaert

The goggles are general Army issue and while they may have been worn by aerial gunners, they were not an official USAAF item...

I cannot recall seeing them in use by USAAF personnel, but there may be pictures out there...

Only picture I know of these in use is on this M16 Half Track gunner in Czechoslovakia in 1945...

post-92-0-95420400-1388829187.jpg

post-92-0-53765900-1388829198.jpg

Thanks Johan,

I got these after reading "Gear Up" Flight clothing & Equipment of the USAAF airmen in WW2 by Jon A Maguire. and saw these mentioned.

I also have another pic that shows a gent dressed up in full flight gear with flak helmet sporting these type of goggles. I will try and find that pic and post it.

Semper Fi

Phil

LB,

Just curious and for my future reference,

Do you see any inaccuracies on that site?

I don't want to use a site for reference material if they are incorrect.

Semper Fi

Phil

Johan Willaert

I usually never say never, but I have never seen a WW2 image of these goggles being worn by USAAF crewmembers during the war...

Would be great to see one though...

Furthermore I have never seen these goggles described in any kind of WW2 flying gear reference material and it does not have a typical USAAF stocknumber...

Johan Willaert

Just curious and for my future reference,

Do you see any inaccuracies on that site?

I don't want to use a site for reference material if they are incorrect.

The website is a good effort, but personally I feel this one is far more researched and the recreations are based on WW2 pictures which are also on the site...

http://www.303rdbg.com/uniforms-gear.html

Thanks Johan,

I have also used that site. It was referred to me by Bill Russel when we were discussing the flight gear worn by my uncle in the picture in my avatar on AAF.com. While researching these I even came across your 2012 post about these using that same pic.. It seems that USAAF is used very loosely when it comes to these. That is how I find them described on many sites selling them.

Thanks again

Semper Fi

Phil

Hi,

Here a photo of a crew member of the B-17 "The 8 Ball" of the 303rd BG wearing a variable-density goggle. This goggles were actually used by the USAAF but this is rare. It is the same for the ski goggles.

goggle10.jpg

goggle11.jpg

A+ Mathieu

OUTSTANDING Blue Leader!!!!!!

Thanks for that Great pic. Also to boot, it being used by a B17 crew member. I am putting this display together to honor my Uncle Joe who was a Tailgunner in the B17 "Mrs Geezil" of the 384th BG. I thought I would have to search every pic I could find on AAF crews to find a pic of these goggles in use.

Now there is no question about these being used by the USAAF and I can put them into my collection without any doubts and I also know I didn't blow $50.......

I also needed to mention it was Bill Runnels that refered me to the 303 BG website.

You are AWESOME Blue Leader

Semper Fi

Phil

Trooper B.A.R

I was going to purchase in the 90s a mint set in box at a show. The seller was there with his dad who flew B17s in WW2. Talking with him and telling him my interest in equipment etc. for crew of bombers, he told me to forego the goggles, though they were available to crewmembers, nobody he knew wore them. They were heavy, limited visibility. Instead he had other items on the table he recommended, cheaper. I bought 3 throat mikes in boxes, mint for the price of one goggle. I saw him several times there after, the goggles were still for sale.

I was just waiting for a photo to surface after reading this thread, and there it is. I am sure there are quite a few more out there as well.

The website Johan has posted is really one of the better sites out there for gear reference.

JD

SergeantMajorGray

The variable density goggles without the extra visor were used by USN and USAAF but the ones with the visor are for Army artillery or something.

you are correct, there are two models of these goggles. The version we see in the AAF photo is the type with grey rubber cushion, these are used for spotters and gunners such as anti-submarine patrols etc. They are a Class 37 item so would not be in , for obvious reasons, in the Class 13 supply catalog with all other "flight" goggles for the AAF however, they are in the Naval Aeronautical Class 37 catalog. The type pictured in the start of the thread with additional lens were intended for ground forces. Both types function slightly different than the other. The type with extra lens is variable meaning you can adjust the knob creating a very subtle adjustment. The type that would be more correct for aviation purposes and in the AAF photo has three distinctive positions of adjustment.

Can I get this clear , I need to look for grey cushions for USAAF use , is that correct ??

Dustin, also is there a class13 catalog that supercedes the1943 issue ?? if so do you know if it has been reprinted??

These are the goggles you want for aviation purposes. For a aviation display you need to find the goggles without red flip lense. They also have a variation with a black eye piece making for three variations of goggles. I was just pointing out that the goggles in the AAF picture are the grey cushion type

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WW2-US-Army-AAF-Navy-Poloroid-Variable-Density-Goggles-Original-Metal-Can-/271318527755?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2bd82f0b&nma=true&si=axz42Kt69UKkFPdtVj9LFbKQBO4%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The Class 13 reprint available is a revised version of April 1944. These goggles would not be in the Class 13 catalog period as they are not Class 13 they are Class 37. Are these goggles in the QM supply catalogs? I wonder as they have a mix of all classes of equipment.