• Please log in to reply
800 replies to this topic

#1 Jumpin Jack

Jumpin Jack
  • Members
    • Member ID: 247
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:47 PM

This is my first effort at posting photos to share with members of the Forum.  There will be more to follow.  The photo shown here shows three camouflage uniforms.  The two at the left are two-piece USMC, while the one at right is a one-piece Army.  The center uniform belonged to a Marine Raider.  You'll be seeing other of his uniforms later.  The one at the right belonged to a Vet during WWII that rose to Staff Sgt. rank,  He later rose to full Colonel rank.

Attached Images

• DSCN2213.JPG

#2 marentius

marentius
  • Members
    • Member ID: 2,571
  • 932 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:49 PM

Nice picture and great items!

#3 littlebuddy

littlebuddy
  • Members
    • Member ID: 106,122
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:52 PM

Congrats Jack on posting some pics !!!    well done sir !!

Carl

#4 lovnik

lovnik
  • Members
    • Member ID: 128,396
  • 58 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 02:59 PM

Jack,

Your photo and the items depicted in it are excellent. Thanks for sharing this with us.

#5 Jumpin Jack

Jumpin Jack
  • Members
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:11 PM

Shown here are a few pieces of headgear.  Bottom row, 2nd from right is a fixed bail M1 with painted 3rd Inf Div insigne on each side.  The helmet on the 2nd row has a protective  face mask that serves as protection when firing the bazooks.

Attached Images

• DSCN2208.JPG

#6 uberguido

uberguido
  • Members
    • Member ID: 105,459
  • 1,005 posts

Posted 03 January 2014 - 03:16 PM

to me, mannequins are creepy, but some of you guys make it look cool for sure, nice work

#7 SARGE

SARGE

• Moderators
    • Member ID: 130
  • 2,569 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 06:15 AM

Thanks for showing these Jack.  I look forward to seeing more.

#8 zippy144

zippy144
  • Members
    • Member ID: 4,730
  • 551 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:52 AM

Hi Jack

It is great to see your collection...

I assume this is the tip of the iceberg??

Thanks for taking the time to post...

Regards

Tom

#9 littlebuddy

littlebuddy
  • Members
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:55 AM

the very tip !!! ;)

#10 Jim Baker

Jim Baker
  • Members
    • Member ID: 78
  • 8,704 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:00 AM

Nice......

Looking forward to more.

#11 trenchbuff

trenchbuff
  • Members
    • Member ID: 944
  • 2,263 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:28 AM

Really enjoy it when collectors share photos of their collection.  They reflect the dedication, research and plain hard work that has gone into them and motivates fellow collectors to keep at it.  Thanks very much sir!

#12 Bugme

Bugme

ADMINISTRATOR

• Administrators
    • Member ID: 1,726
  • 14,765 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 11:55 AM

Alright Jack, I'm glad you conquered the beast! I've seen more of this collection in previous non-digital photo's that Jack sent me, trust me, this is the tip of the tip of the iceberg. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

#13 Sabrejet

Sabrejet
  • Members
    • Member ID: 8,022
  • 37,412 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 12:14 PM

Bring 'em on!!  ;)

#14 littlebuddy

littlebuddy
  • Members
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 02:24 PM

Alright Jack, I'm glad you conquered the beast! I've seen more of this collection in previous non-digital photo's that Jack sent me, trust me, this is the tip of the tip of the iceberg. I'm looking forward to seeing more!

I ,as well ,have been very fortunate to see some none digital pictures of this mans collection

I just hope you are all sitting down when you get to see them ;)

LB

#15 Timberwolf

Timberwolf
  • Members
    • Member ID: 19,184
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 03:24 PM

I'm definitely looking forward to seeing this collection!

#16 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,670
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 04:49 PM

to me, mannequins are creepy, but some of you guys make it look cool for sure, nice work

Tell me about it. I have a WWI officer's uniform that I would like to put on a mannequin. Want to step outside your box a bit? Look around ebay for mannequins. Seriously weird vibe there.

All that aside, excellent collection and display. My first combat uniform was a camo one piece that I bought with my Christmas money in 1996.

#17 Jumpin Jack

Jumpin Jack
  • Members
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 05:42 PM

Thank you all for your comments.  I have been really frustrated over the years not knowing how to post photos.  I really wanted to share with the Forum members.  I'll try to step up the pace and get more out.  I'll intiially do overviews to get some practice in.  Then, I will do some detailed stuff.

A note to Garandomatic:  Where full mannequins are concerned, it is important to remember that you have to fit the mannequin to the uniform rather than the uniform to the mannequin.  Try putting on the pants first, because if they don't fit, neither will the jacket or tunic.  As for acquisition of mannequins, look for stores going out of business, "For Sale" listing in the newspapers, collectors down-sizing their collection.  For appearance sake, try to avoid the modern mannequins with exagerated poses, etc.

Good luck!  Jack Angolia

#18 Rakkasan187

Rakkasan187
  • Members
    • Member ID: 5,554
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 08:47 PM

I am glad you were able to post pictures Colonel.

Thanks again, and I was able to get a copy of the 1st Volume of Hero's in our Midst..

I will be on ready for volume 2...

Leigh

#19 Garandomatic

Garandomatic
  • Members
    • Member ID: 9,670
  • 6,169 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 09:07 PM

You're right, most out there now seem to be over six feet tall, not exactly WWI appropriate!

#20 Jumpin Jack

Jumpin Jack
  • Members
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:27 AM

Collection File 001.JPG Sorry, but I've run into a glitch posting new overview photos.  This will be solved tomorrow.  Until then, I'll try to post some specific photos.

Shown here is the Ike jacket belonging to SSgt. Jack C. Cockrill, 479th Fighter Group, 8th USAAF.  He entered active duty on 27 April 1942.  He attended Aircraft Mechanic's School, but was soon given an Administrative MOS.  In his words, "I typed my way throught the war."  He earned the Good Conduct Medal, American Defense Medal, ETO Medal w/2 bronze stars, WWII Victory Medal, and Presidential Unit Citation.  He was discharged on 1 November 1945.

#21 littlebuddy

littlebuddy
  • Members
  • 3,741 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:30 AM

In your own time Jack!    it will be worth the wait im sure !

Carl

#22 BROBS

BROBS
  • Members
    • Member ID: 114,538
  • 4,394 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 11:31 AM

Jack,

Awesome to see you posting photos online!

I have some hard copy photos tucked away in my filing drawer.. I just looked at them the other day.

Looking forward to seeing more of your museum!

Best regards,

-Brian

#23 Jumpin Jack

Jumpin Jack
  • Members
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:00 PM

Collection File 030.JPG Uniform belonging to Col. Eldon M. Stenjem, Commanding Officer, Fort Sheridan Separation Center, 6th Service Command.  He served during WWI as an Infantry Lt.  He was recalled to active duty in 1940 with initial assignment at Fort Custer, MI.  He was then transfered  to Fort Sheridan, IL., where he established a rehabilitation center.  His awards consists of the Legion of Merit, Army Commendation Medal, American Defense Medal, American Campaign Medal, WWI and WWII Victory Medals.  The tunic shows the Wisconsin N.G. SSI and shoulder cord being worn.

A bit more background as to how I came about his grouping, which consists of his visor cap, trousers, shirt, tie, award documents and photos.  When I travel, I always have photos of my collection on the digital camera.  While on a river tour in Bangkok, the lady sitting next to me that her father was in WWII.  I showed her some photos, and asked her what did she plan to do with the material.

She responded she didn't know, but would I be interested.  The rest is obvious.  Jack

#24 doyler

doyler
  • Members
    • Member ID: 342
  • 32,502 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:10 PM

They aint so bad...they just watch you at night ;)

#25 Jumpin Jack

Jumpin Jack
  • Members
  • 2,535 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 12:47 PM

Uniform belonging to 1st Lt. Elias E. Zirul, USAAFE Chemical School, Barksdale Field, LA.  He was dreafted in May 1942, attended OCS in November,  Upon graduation on 3 April 1943 he was commissioned as a 2nd Lt.  In August he was transfered to Cam[ Sibert, AL, as Executive Officer of a black chemical company.  In November he was transfered to the AAF, and later to Barksdale Field to set up a chemical school.  He was discharged 21 February 1946.

His grouping consists of this tan uniform, his pinks & greens, overcoat, all his chemical and personal files plus misc other items.

It is rather unusual to see a chemical officer in the AAF.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)