WASP float at the Rose Parade.

rustywings

What a great group of Ladies.You can still see the shine in their eyes.I had the privaledge to meet a WASP from Minnesota once at one of our State 8th Air Force conventions.She was a guest speaker and quite a gal!

I am so jealous of each of you who has met a WASP in person. I would LOVE to be able to speak to one and shake her hand. Heck...I would give her a big old hug! :love:

....Kat

Yeah, I watched the whole shin-dig, and was fairly annoyed that right as the float came into view, the telecasters were signing off - "You gotta be sh*tting me!" You'd think that the people who stage the floats would put one with women in their 90's at least somewhere in the first half of the parade!

Mark sends

Here are my Pictures from the Parade. All of the people in our section starting standing as the float passed by, so I just starting "clicking" until all the of waving shopped. Each of the pictures is a little different, but the main content is the same. I'm sorry it was the last float, but everyone around me learned the history of the WASP long before the float arrived!! :)

post-8213-0-05586400-1388699735.jpg

JS,

Great pictures! It sure was a shame that they were the last float in the parade. I am glad you taught those around you a great lesson in history!

...Kat

Those are really nice images Jack's Son! You picked a wonderful day to attend this event. Nothing like seeing aviation history pass-by on a winter day in 70+ degree warmth. Thank you for your efforts in sharing these historic images.

Russ

The WASP design was created by Disney artist Hank Porter in January 1943 and was based on an illustration found in the Random House Gremlins book. The design was requested in November 1942, by Byrd Howell Granger, who was in the first class of WASP to graduate. She was also editor-in-chief of the Fifinella Gazette, the WASP newsletter.

The design was created for the 319th Army Air Force Flying Training Detachment. The first class of WASP graduated April 23, 1943. Because the Houston Airport could not adequately accommodate the WASP training program, the detachment was relocated to “Avenger Field” in Sweetwater Texas. The unit was renamed the 318th AAFFTD. Members of the 319th agreed to pass the Fifinella insignia on to the 318th.

The black and white illustrations found in the Gremlins book were created by Disney artist Bill Justice, but the color plates found in the book were created by Al Dempster.

The WASP received permission from the Disney Company to continue their use of the design post war.

The WASP design was created by Disney artist Hank Porter in January 1943 and was based on an illustration found in the Random House Gremlins book. The design was requested in November 1942, by Byrd Howell Granger, who was in the first class of WASP to graduate. She was also editor-in-chief of the Fifinella Gazette, the WASP newsletter.

The design was created for the 319th Army Air Force Flying Training Detachment. The first class of WASP graduated April 23, 1943. Because the Houston Airport could not adequately accommodate the WASP training program, the detachment was relocated to “Avenger Field” in Sweetwater Texas. The unit was renamed the 318th AAFFTD. Members of the 319th agreed to pass the Fifinella insignia on to the 318th.

The black and white illustrations found in the Gremlins book were created by Disney artist Bill Justice, but the color plates found in the book were created by Al Dempster.

The WASP received permission from the Disney Company to continue their use of the design post war.

Excellent info...thank you Dave

IIRC, I saw the CBS coverage. They did spend some time describing the WASPs and the history behind the float. It was short but they did a good job showcasing these ladies and their contribution to the war effort.

Last but not least. Last in the parade but think of it this way, with a float in the body of the parade people are distracted looking at spectacles ahead and behind other floats. Being the last float everyone's attention is drawn to as there is nothing else to look at and is a focal point. This is the last and newest image in their head, a highlight in essence. All eyes on them!

Last but not least. Last in the parade but think of it this way, with a float in the body of the parade people are distracted looking at spectacles ahead and behind other floats. Being the last float everyone's attention is drawn to as there is nothing else to look at and is a focal point. This is the last and newest image in their head, a highlight in essence. All eyes on them!

Well said Dustin!

Hi RW!

I just love this thread, I've been enjoying it shortly after it was posted and thought I had already commented, glad that I re-started from the beginning this time. This has been a wonderful journey, I wish I could have seen it all first-hand, but thanks to you and the others who have generously shared, we all get to experience and honor the contributions that these wonderful women made!

Thank you again, best wishes,

Joe